What was the biggest lie and hoax you ever read in a book or travel guides about Thailand ?

Sandman77

Regarding the OP's question : "What was the biggest lie and hoax you ever read in a book or travel guides about Thailand ?"

Everything you see here is exactly what it is suppposed to be...never forget that Sandman.

Edited by sunshine51

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest lie in travel books is that sitting in a coffee shop "people watching" is an interesting thing to do.

T

Yes it can be, not a lie, but it's not "watching people" that is interesting when you sit in a cafe. You have to watch their FOOTWEAR and make yourself secret notes on how many shoes do not fit, too small, to big, too old or just the weird ones with plain feet hanging out of them sideways. It's a nice game one can do while sitting in a cafe, and a funny one, though !

I prefer looking at tits, but to each his own.

T

Same, same.

And how about , take your shoes of

When you enter a house!

That is a good thing to do. Why should you drag all the crap underneath your shoes into the house?

Including leptospirosis as I have been told it is.

A disease spread by rats.

So take your damn shoes off.

That was a good post. Thanks for sharing.

I'll now go and read up on leptospirosis.

On wikipedia no doubt.

• Like 1

Urban rumours? Thai whiskey contains amphetamine.

Yeah, what tosh that is. Kids saying "yeah, we got soo <deleted> up on them buckets, they have speed in't whisky they do"

No dear they don't, but you've just hammered your way through six buckets of low grade whisky, coke and redbull - do the math kid

• Like 2

Why Thais use toons of make up Guess I can answer that question.

England's No 1 marksman produced a devastating finish to send the Toon Army into raptures.

What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

The position of the dirt bag.

Keep them rollin' Sandy, never give up.

Edited by sirchai

The negative slant of the post heading could read:

"What was the best information that you ever read in a book or travel guide about Thailand?".

IMO, the biggest lie and/or hoax continues to be revealed by the sad, dark and negative minded trolls that lurk behind the cloak of anonymity. I will steer clear and head for calm waters.

Live and Let Live.

That the Elephant Camp is at the Tropicana Hotel in Pattaya, and 'Bubby Bongs' is a great place to stay in Koh Chong.

Neither of these were true for nearly 10 years prior to the writing of the guide. I know because I was the poor bastard hired to fact-check and revise the damn thing, a year after it was published. (Elephant Camp moved out of town. Bubby Bongs owners OD'd). Incredulous stares when I landed in town looking for these.

As far as I could tell, the original author spent his entire funded time in the country going to gay bars in Bangkok (they feature large in his recommendations there) and cribbing off the Internet.

The biggest lie in travel books is that sitting in a coffee shop "people watching" is an interesting thing to do.

Sit in the Starbucks in Exchange Tower when all the cuties go by on their way to work.

You'll be one of about a dozen guys who stake out a seat with a view each morning, who would disagree with you.

Biggest lie i read,

That thai people are nice and friendly! Try do bussiness with them and see the true value. And always have a friendly smile for you. That is not a friendly smile. Most thais i know are rude and egocentric, Of course this goes for many countries, but thailand goes on top for me in BS and fake friendliness.

• Like 1

all are showing Thailand in a very bad view!

So...if I follow your line of thinking...every book written by fellow travelers on Thai culture are wrong for expressing both positive AND negative aspects of their Thai experience ...and you want everyone to know that Thailand is a wonderful place...

Does this about sum it up? I think you are unapologetically...a Thai apologist...and are still in the honeymoon stage of living in Thailand...one day you will wake up...the honeymoon over...and reality will set in...reality will be more in line with the negative aspects of the books of Thailand you have read...

loser...why do you all stay in Thailand if you dislike the people so much? Weird. Is it because you can't afford to have a sex life in your native country?

That their smiles are genuine....

you beat me to it

should read "the land of fake smiles" in the adverts.

Bar girls always lie,i know this is not true,as my first time i used their service she told me"i have never seen ham this big".

Was she about five foot tall with long dark hair? if so I think I married herfacepalm.gif

'Never touch a Thai on the head'

That's total <deleted>! I see it all the time, from patting kids on the head to Thai friends slapping each other on the head for fun!

Be very careful!! You can touch someone on the head if they are lower down the hierarchical system than you!! I still would advise against it. especially for foreigners touching Thais... In my old school a Thai student kept on patting another Thai student on his head..The student who had his head patted told his parents. His Dad arrived into school one morning and punched the other kids Mother in the face. School had to call police...

I read in a travel book you should never point to something with your foot in Thailand.But my Thai girlfriend says this is rubbish.

Its considered very impolite to point with your foot in Thailand as its a Buddhist country and a foot is considered unclean. That's pretty basic manners in Thai! I would be worried as to why your girlfriend is not aware of it...That would be akin to a British person not spitting in front of someone!!

The biggest lie I ever heard is that you can't run out of likes on TV...I have today......I've been p

1ssing myself with this thread but can't acknowledge. Thanks you guys.clap2.gif

Edited by Mudcrab

And how about , take your shoes of

When you enter a house!

That is a good thing to do. Why should you drag all the crap underneath your shoes into the house?

Including leptospirosis as I have been told it is.

A disease spread by rats.

So take your damn shoes off.

no need to be so delicate.

doggy poo stinks. Great idea leaving your shoes at the door.

For my it's a big contradiction

When all Thais are over clean ,

In there body and face!

but around the house is a mess like a bin hall, that did not match!

Here in the village we have a old farmer , he sale the chicken and the pork s"""

And he sleep near the big manure heap with open window that smells so strong, that non if us could stay more then 10 minutes, but he stay for a life time !

For Thais everything is normal , but only so long familiar with it!

Maybe Thais don't know contradiction ,or simply clean it under table , and eat near the cesspool, on the roadside!

• Like 2

[quote[

Be very careful!! You can touch someone on the head if they are lower down the hierarchical system than you

Yes, I concede that point. Since I am near the top of the hierarchical system - due to my advanced years and massive intellect - I can get away with slapping my family around the head.... However, I have never tried it with a monk....

Here's another Thai myth. Insects and other bugs are interesting and tasty to eat. This is utter tosh! I have eaten all manner of Thai insects and they all taste like ... er ..... insects!!

you beat me to it

Actually, that there are not enough smiles to call it "Land of Smiles".

Anyway, I had not read many books on Thailand, but of the ones that I did read, or of what I did read, I'd say at least 50% is outside reality.

Cannot come up with any example right now, except the above one, that's one that gets proven/disproven daily.

smile.png (real one 555)

One I remember in a guide book was about the language.

They said that because the language is tonal, when they talk it sounds like they are singing.

Not around here, it sounds like they are shouting.

But, have you noticed....... not at everybody!

Norfolk and Suffolk must be tonal.

One of my favourite "facts about Thailand" according to a backpacker was that around six hundred people a year are killed by falling coconuts.

Other great lies could be found in Lonely Planet guide books concerning the cleanliness and friendly staff at one hundred baht a night guest houses circa 2000 and advice about speaking quietly as Thais have an aversion to loud sounds.

For my it's a big contradiction

When all Thais are over clean ,

In there body and face!

but around the house is a mess like a bin hall, that did not match!

Here in the village we have a old farmer , he sale the chicken and the pork s"""

And he sleep near the big manure heap with open window that smells so strong, that non if us could stay more then 10 minutes, but he stay for a life time !

For Thais everything is normal , but only so long familiar with it!

Maybe Thais don't know contradiction ,or simply clean it under table , and eat near the cesspool, on the roadside!

Pork doesn't smell or it must be very old

you beat me to it

The smiles aren't fake, just misinterpreted by foreigners. There's a whole smile system, with 13 officially documented smiles, and many more understood by Thais. Take time to learn what these smiles mean and everything will start to make sense. Sadly, this ultimately spoils the middle-aged white man's fantasy that every smile from a Thai female means she fancies him.

• Like 2