The Best Day Ever on Phuket

Pinot

speaking for the

outer banks in North Carolina

Delaware beaches

Maryland beaches

Ca beaches

no chairs, no loungers, no umbrellas, no restaurants on the beach ( unless there on the boardwalk)

still gets plenty of people and everyone brings what they want

I imagine the Thai's will find a way to keep the farangs happy

There are still plenty of places to eat and buy drinks near the beach

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Although I think it had gone way too far in terms of encroachment from my observations most Europeans seem to go the beaches specifically for those amenities..."

Too bad, stay home. So, it's not allowed in their own countries but it should be provided for the Thailand tourist? That argument doesn't hold water but that's the what the club owners and business people are saying. Sorry, that's weak. It's the King's beach not the Or Bot Tor's profit center and they were making a bundle.

The recently published survey by the Gazette (only 150 people) it was running 80/20 in favor across both farang and Thais agreeing, clear the beach. We've learned that any encroachment will be worse the following year. Either they're allowed to do whatever they feel like or you throw them off the beach. It doesn't happen overnight and once it starts, it's a cancer just getting worse and worse i.e. Surin Beach. This was the only way to do this.

In Kamala today I was watching them empty sand bags and the stakes holding them. This was the floor base for the clubs and restaurants which are all gone now.

• Like 1

So, it's not allowed in their own countries but it should be provided for the Thailand tourist?

A bit like the sex industry?

Time will tell if the same number of people go to the beaches with no shade and places to get drinks or food...I noticed yesterday that my local taxi sala that I was pleased to see removed has now been replaced by an identical one which now sells fruitshakes. Total of 72 hrs of non-occupation of public land. I had to laugh.

I noticed yesterday that my local taxi sala that I was pleased to see removed has now been replaced by an identical one which now sells fruitshakes. Total of 72 hrs of non-occupation of public land

Report it. The only way that the public land can be kept public is if the public promptly report any new, illegal structures.

I noticed yesterday that my local taxi sala that I was pleased to see removed has now been replaced by an identical one which now sells fruitshakes. Total of 72 hrs of non-occupation of public land

Report it. The only way that the public land can be kept public is if the public promptly report any new, illegal structures.

But now I can get cheap fruit shakes at the end of my Soi!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or indeed, the one!

• Like 1

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or indeed, the one!

Live long and prosper........

Speaking of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, it sure was great yesterday to go to Karon and see all the yellow lines painted over that were reserved for the jailbirds. Now there is plenty of parking for the public and it sure was nice to be able to park wherever there was a space available. It was great to park in a spot that was previously painted yellow right in front of the people that only last month would have yelled and wanted to start a fight over that spot. Keep it up army!

Speaking of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, it sure was great yesterday to go to Karon and see all the yellow lines painted over that were reserved for the jailbirds. Now there is plenty of parking for the public and it sure was nice to be able to park wherever there was a space available. It was great to park in a spot that was previously painted yellow right in front of the people that only last month would have yelled and wanted to start a fight over that spot. Keep it up army!

You know what I think I may just take a mosey over there tomorrow for a little "park" myself just for the pleasure of it.

including the huge one on north end of Layan beach that totally destroys the area??

Plus what about all the small thai restaurants /beach chairs on the beach there?

Thai huts on kamala still there but it looks like there starting some work in the fenced off area.

including the huge one on north end of Layan beach that totally destroys the area??

Plus what about all the small thai restaurants /beach chairs on the beach there?

Thai huts on kamala still there but it looks like there starting some work in the fenced off area.

Some of the beachclubs have chanotes so they won't be going anywhere

So do many of the plots that have encroached into Sirinath National Park.

Depends if the Chanote title is genuine, or, manufactured by bent land office officials.

• Like 1

So do many of the plots that have encroached into Sirinath National Park.

Depends if the Chanote title is genuine, or, manufactured by bent land office officials.

Yes true...but my understanding is that the structure owners are not being punished for the encroachment if the chonotes were issued illegally. The officials who issued them are.

• Like 1

No, they are not going to be punished i.e. tried in a court of law, but, the land is going to be taken back.

The general has said ALL public land has to be returned.

As I said some of them have chanotes so therefore are not on public land.

Innocent until proven guilty I think is the general way of doing things.

Innocent until proven guilty I think is the general way of doing things.

Innocent until proven guilty I don't think is the general's way of doing things.

He is looking at restoring law and order, which can also means undoing illegal actions from the past.

Edited by stevenl

Sorry, that doesn't come into it.

The general is working from a known map in Surin. Everything from the beach to the main road is public land.

Any Chanote within that area, such as Catch is a fake Chanote.

Please read the thread in more detail and you will see the discussion was about all beachclubs up to and including Layan. This includes Bliss, Xana, Zazada, Nicki etc etc

I don't think there are any Chanotes in Surin only rights to reside issued by the government. The "purpose of use" for the right to reside paperwork is what is being discussed for the units on the east side of Surin beach.

So my prediction is that they will not be removing all the beach clubs unless they do not have a chanote and are on public land or unless they can be proven to be on public land and have a chanote that was illegally issued (but even then they probably won't be removed). I think it highly unlikely that the Hilton in Naithon or Trisara will be effected for example.

I'll make it simple.

If the Chanote is legal, they stay. If it ain't, they won't.

That applies to all beaches.

I guess the question is what defines as legal chanote.

I'll make it simple.

That's a good point. You can get one drawn up here, for just about anywhere, for the right price.

• Like 1

I'll make it simple.

That's a good point. You can get one drawn up here, for just about anywhere, for the right price.

Maybe before. Very doubtful now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sunday 3 pm Surin beach looks so nice, all empty EXCEPT the club at the end has not started,

Kamala south of the Graveyard empty

north, same huts still on the beach an does not look like any one is doing anything about it

Walking Kamala today I saw a group of 20+ Army inspecting those huts on the beach. I see some in the tear down/salvage mode. It's happening. I think the fines are about to go into effect.

I don't expect Patong to be any more difficult than Surin or Kamala was i.e. nothing. Every one knows if they're legal or not (they're not). Surin was far worse with many permanent structures. It's mostly just huts on Patong. I think it's the former mayor's son who has one structure that's going.

We live in interesting times.

Without getting into the right or wrongness of having the structures on the beach do people think that tourists will be happier now without access to restaurants, beachclubs and chairs on the beaches?

Although I think it had gone way too far in terms of encroachment from my observations most Europeans seem to go the beaches specifically for those amenities...

It can revert to the way it was, you could order any type of meal/drink from people with menus and they scoot off to the legal restaurants over the rd and get it for you.

Kamala;

Just back from my swim,

every structure from in front of the police station all the way north is down ( including the surf club) and /or burning

the few small bars set into the hillside look abandoned and no one will remove them.

Beach looks great ( dirty but that's the low season)

Surin looks fantastic!!

Problem with scooting off to order is there are NO restaurants across the road from the Novotel all the way to the start of the walkway /end of graveyard in Kamala