> Jump to content

32 Taiwanese arrested in Chiang Rai for suspected call centre scam

webfact

32 Taiwanese arrested for suspected call centre scam
The Nation

CHIANG RAI: -- Chiang Rai police arrested 32 Taiwanese yesterday suspected of working for a "call centre" scam gang.

Following a raid on a three-storey rented house in tambon Mae Sai in Mae Sai district at 8.30am, police arrested 20 Taiwanese and seized numerous communication devices including computers.

Police suspect the equipment was used in the scam, which involved duped people wiring money to the gang.

The house was rented for Bt40,000 a month to a Mae Chan dis?trict man, who rented another three homes in Mae Sai.

Police raided those houses and arrested 12 more Taiwanese nationals and ceased communication devices and documents.

The group is being detained at the Chiang Rai Immigration Police Bureau and face further legal action.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-16

Is it just me or is there a lot of illegal stuff goes on in Chang Rai

or

Maybe it was allowed and now that the redshirts have been demoted the police are being forced to clean the place up

The area just always seems to be in the news

Great to see some more low life leeches get arrested. I hope they also get their boss &/or local connection who facilitated setting it up. It is way past overdue that some big bosses were locked up for a variety of crimes.

• Like 1

I suppose when 32 pale skinned people are in and out of a the house, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they are up to no good.

Bit like the UK parliament!!

Ay theng you, ay theng you!!! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Now we go from coup to dupe, the news gets better or is Thailand still a hotbed of corruption? Like attracts like! Birds of a feather flock together, the country seems to have a surplus of criminals. Nothing will ever change!

Now we go from coup to dupe, the news gets better or is Thailand still a hotbed of corruption? Like attracts like! Birds of a feather flock together, the country seems to have a surplus of criminals. Nothing will ever change!

No,.............the government was ousted, don't forget!!!wink.png

• Like 1

A number of boiler rooms have been raided, the criminals arrested, tried, convicted with prison time and then deported. Its not that easy to catch them all. Gibralter, Spain, Cyprus and numerous other countries have the same issues.

No,.............the government was ousted, don't forget!!!wink.png

So? That doesn't alter the overall picture.

A number of boiler rooms have been raided, the criminals arrested, tried, convicted with prison time and then deported. Its not that easy to catch them all. Gibralter, Spain, Cyprus and numerous other countries have the same issues.

Perhaps even you would be surprised by the sheer number of western criminals happily working away unobstructed in Thailand these days.

or

Maybe it was allowed and now that the redshirts have been demoted the police are being forced to clean the place up

It often feels like Chiang Rai gets the short end of the stick in the news. With 99% of what goes on here being related to enjoying our bountiful and beautiful natural environment, it feels like 99% of what gets reported on is the criminals who use it as a gateway and conduit for their illicit trade.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I suppose when 32 pale skinned people are in and out of a house, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they are up to no good.

With so many Wings and Wongs involved in a call center scam, I bet the spent all day winging the wong numbers!

Yes, Tiawanese are actually Chinese people. Same as Hong Kong people, and the Singaporeans, they're all actually Chinese.
Actually, the Thais themselves, a lot of them are also Chinese !! :)

• Like 1

or

It often feels like Chiang Rai gets the short end of the stick in the news. With 99% of what goes on here being related to enjoying our bountiful and beautiful natural environment, it feels like 99% of what gets reported on is the criminals who use it as a gateway and conduit for their illicit trade.

Only bad news counts as news for most news agencies.

However, there's always the heavily filtered Chiang Rai sub-forum for 'good things' about the 'Rai' and its foreign infestations.

It reminds me of 'The Stepford Wives' ... the forum, not the city.

Edited by rijb