World Cup Forum

smokie36

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a general comment about yesterday's quarter finals.

I found the Germany France game rather mundane. France are not the flair team of previous years. Germany? German... but again, not the stoic ruthless Germany we have seen before.

Brazil-Columbia, a much more exciting game. More colour, more flair.

At this point I would predict a S American team winning the tournament, but that view could change after tonight's games.

Neymar and Rodriguez out of the Golden Boot competition. Think we might see some Messi magic.

Plus RVP and Robben likely to score I would have thought.

yep ferdinand again makes a mark as a pundit, anyway thought France really missed ribery,4 sure he would have got in behind yesterday. As for Brazil, capt fantastic----ish out and talisman and top scorer out, even with the crowd and probably most of the world behind them can any one see them overturning the German juggernaut ?

yesterdays games were almost polar ends of the scale apart, German and the french played to order and discipline and refused to throw the shackles of and go for it, the brazil game was completely opposite 1 st 3 /4s TOTAL CHAOS Brazil just head down and went for anything and everything, that and the early goal threw Columbia, until the last 15ish they lacked shape structure and then arguably could and should have won, brazil football wise aint actually that good, but as i said b4 they've got the 'force' with them anyway it's new day and a new play and i'm feelin!!!!! good.

• Like 1

oh and 2 day, argentina Belgium, a bit of messi magic 2 win? almost guaranteed if he's running at our lad verity!!!!.

and yeah Holland efficiency to beat costa rica but i hope costa give them a run for their money and don't let the dutch go one up shut the game

down.. which i;m pretty sure they will do if they can.

Right. The second quarter finals are getting close and I've been having a think and a drink and a chat with some other football experts. smile.png

Holland-Costa Rica. I can see RVP, Robben and Sneijder ripping them apart. Costa Rica might get a consolation goal.

Argentina- Belgium. Tricky one. We haven't really seen a major upset in the WC yet. OK we've seen some unexpected results.

Tonight I think we may see a surprise. Everybody says how well the USA did. Tim Howard has gone into the Guinness Book of Records for the saves he made.

Belgium have an excellent keeper.

If Hazard has a blinder we could see Argentina going out.

I think it will be very tight.

FIFA's disciplinary committee is studying the challenge that led to Brazil's star player Neymar suffering a fractured vertebra to decide on action against Colombia's Juan Zuniga.

The Colombia defender caught Neymar with a knee in his back in a full-blooded challenge that went unpunished during Brazil's 2-1 quarter-final win.

FIFA head of media Delia Fischer said: "The disciplinary committee is analysing the matter. The spirit of fair play is very important and we want to avoid difficult things on the field of play."

And let's hope they are looking at all of the challenges on James that went unpunished.

But I doubt it, the w*****s.

• Like 1

FIFA's disciplinary committee is studying the challenge that led to Brazil's star player Neymar suffering a fractured vertebra to decide on action against Colombia's Juan Zuniga.

The Colombia defender caught Neymar with a knee in his back in a full-blooded challenge that went unpunished during Brazil's 2-1 quarter-final win.

FIFA head of media Delia Fischer said: "The disciplinary committee is analysing the matter. The spirit of fair play is very important and we want to avoid difficult things on the field of play."

And let's hope they are looking at all of the challenges on James that went unpunished.

Compare this to a little nibble on a shoulder, bet he won't get near the same punishment

Yeah, he was getting clattered all over the place and Brazil didn't get a single booking for one on him but he did a non contact tackle and instant yellow. Ridiculous. Good little player he is.

Di Stefano hospitalised with a heart attack.

Di Stefano, who had celebrated his 88th birthday just yesterday, suffered the health crisis near the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, where he was attended by a unit of Samur; a specialized and highly qualified emergency system in Madrid.

After performing CPR for over 18 minutes, medics were able to revitalize Di Stefano. However, his previos health background, which include a previous heart-attack, and advanced age maintain him in a very delicate condition.

Edited by Chicog

Looks like is going to be down to van Gaal then to knock Argentina out.

smile.png

Baring in mind they just scraped past Costa Rica on penalties i really wouldn't get your hopes up.

Suppose i should add here that whilst i don't think van Gaal hasn't gotten anything special out of his side it was a mighty big and clever call to sub in your reserve keeper for the penalty shoot out.

Up until then i thought they were wholly reliant on Robben! biggrin.png

smile.png

Baring in mind they just scraped past Costa Rica on penalties i really wouldn't get your hopes up.

Suppose i should add here that whilst i don't think van Gaal hasn't gotten anything special out of his side it was a mighty big and clever call to sub in your reserve keeper for the penalty shoot out.

Dutch managers have history with this tactic...Hiddink tried it for the Aussies against Uruguay in a WC play off, but the ball didn't go out of play in time to make the sub.facepalm.gif

But of course, LFC were the originals....bringing on Grobbelaar for Dudek in 2005 CL Finalthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

smile.png

Dutch managers have history with this tactic...Hiddink tried it for the Aussies against Uruguay in a WC play off, but the ball didn't go out of play in time to make the sub.facepalm.gif

But of course, LFC were the originals....bringing on Grobbelaar for Dudek in 2005 CL Finalthumbsup.gif

If ever a keeper knew the outcome of a game it was Grobbelaar! smile.png

• Like 2

"How the hell did I end up in Motown ?!"attachicon.gifMascxheBr0i8wIIYAExVus.jpg

Mascherano was absolutely supers last night. Man of the match imo.

Theres so much more to Argentina than just Messi, although the loss of Angel Di Maria is a blow.

Agreed with that. Masherano has been the backbone for Argentina for years. A mighty warrior is he.

Definitely a blow losing Di Maria, and if Aguero continues to be unavailable that's two of Argentina's Fab4 out.

"How the hell did I end up in Motown ?!"attachicon.gifMascxheBr0i8wIIYAExVus.jpg

Theres so much more to Argentina than just Messi, although the loss of Angel Di Maria is a blow.

Agreed with that. Masherano has been the backbone for Argentina for years. A mighty warrior is he.

Definitely a blow losing Di Maria, and if Aguero continues to be unavailable that's two of Argentina's Fab4 out.

True but they are still strong. The big threat to them winning this thing is Germany, who just bring on and on.

Shame Ozil wasn't able to play in this world cup. Clearly since his time at Arsenal, Wenger has broken himbiggrin.png

• Like 1

True but they are still strong. The big threat to them winning this thing is Germany, who just bring on and on.

Shame Ozil wasn't able to play in this world cup. Clearly since his time at Arsenal, Wenger has broken himbiggrin.png

For me Germany is the odds on favorite. Tons of talent and depth, play well as a team and without significant injuries. Though even with all that they haven't looked unbeatable by any means. A really competitive WC.

smile.png

Sneijder's free kicks weren't bad either...but yes....that's fairly spot on I'd say.

• Like 1

Yes its Brokeback at Highgate Hill coming to a cinema near you soon....I hope Wenger doesn't get a sombrero and a cheeky moustache!

smile.png

navas deserves a mention and Robben was athletic, strong and amazingly brave never shirked going by either one or 2 irespective of the rather obvious consequences. But thought our man wesley s was the best player on the park, awesome seemed at.the centre of all that was good bout holland.