The Setang con

I am not wealthy, nor am I poor. Normally I do not let these things get to me but the constant short changing in 7-11's in particular irritates me but I normally ignore it as there are far more important things in life. This week however I feel the need to rant a little.

I paid my office electric bill for which the change should have included 50 Setang. Not have.

I bought separately milk for home which also required 50 Setang. Not have.

OK so give me 1 Baht.

I pointedly indicated 50 Setang on each purchase i.e 2 x 50 Setang.

He reached into the adjoining till and gave me 2 x 50 Setang coins.

Blatant dishonesty which after 12 years here I should be used to.

Got that off my chest. Rant over and back to enjoying the myriad of good things about living here.

• Like 2

Change 7/11, go to another one or family

Prepare a 50 satang coin when you pay (you add to the bill)

Usually (for me) they don't give change only if 25 satangs. 50 they do give.

Tesco and Big C are always good at giving correct and exact change.

I agree though SR, My AIS bill is usually x baht and y satang always rounded UP to the next baht.

Imagine how many thousands of extra baht profit they make if they do this with their millions of customers.

Change 7/11, go to another one or family

Prepare a 50 satang coin when you pay (you add to the bill)

Usually (for me) they don't give change only if 25 satangs. 50 they do give.

7-11 was just the latest example and it happens in all of them and the FM'S. I agree and try to hang on the 50 Setang when I have them - I actually have two now to use next time!!

There used to be a small supermarket in Choengmon that always used to keep 1 baht from the change. (It was where Lords pub ended up.)

I asked the girl to give me the correct change and she said 'you farang - you not need'.

I explained that she was a thief and a criminal. She wasn't happy about that and gave me my 1 baht. I never went back and the shop closed soon afterwards.

Poetic justice I say.

Back to the 25/50 setangs - I always ask for them and usually keep one of each in my change so that I can try and give the exact money. Any excess ones at the end of the day go into a pot and every now and then I give them to my staff as a small tip!

(I do not use 7/11's/FM's so I would not know but thanks for the heads up. I'll have to go and try one out.)

'

• Like 2

Most people despise the small coins and don't think about reusing them. My wife gets raised eyebrows when she pays the 2 Baht 75 Setang or whatever because she keeps the small stuff. She got accused of being poor and miserly (you have Farang) in BigC and her reply made the cash register shake. Lovely lady.

• Like 2

I am not sure I have been short changed yet. Sometimes by the Thais who panic attack because they lost their calculator but family have it all scanned and price comes up

As for 50 setang I would prefer they keep it as it would just clog my pockets up who useless change

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Tesco and Big C are always good at giving correct and exact change.

I agree though SR, My AIS bill is usually x baht and y satang always rounded UP to the next baht.

Imagine how many thousands of extra baht profit they make if they do this with their millions of customers.[/quote/]

Problem is that when I pay my bill I have to do it on the mobile phone app and having .23 setang is a pain in the arse rather just give them the balance and they can make their millions out if it for all I care

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Setang?

Went to a 7/11 for a bottle of Blend to take to a Thai party.

Feeling generous I asked for a large one. Got the large box but when it was opened at the party only a regular bottle inside.

Nice little earner for one of the staff. No point going back to complain as I couldn't prove anything.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, who cares?

Well if we were to assume anyone gave a flying flock over a few satang one way or the other, I'm sure we would be told it was the principle, not the money.

In other words, it's the obsession some farang have with the thought they might be losing face along with the satang.

Someone "conned" me out of 25 satang or about 0.008 US dollars. That doesn't even qualify as kii niaow behavior. This is a whole new dimension.

stm50a69c641e94120121116.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I suppose the response from certain people was inevitable.

This was not really about losing 50 Setang.

It was about blatant dishonesty and even when challenged, he did not have the sense to just give me one Baht, but actually gave me two 50 Setang coins which he had just said he did not have.

• Like 1

I dislike getting these small coins, in change, no one ever wants to take them.... they just pile up... good for the charity boxes usually by the cash register ... ..

I find that some of the small shops without cash registers, tend to discount down, with change.... say for example, 52 or 53 baht purchase, they round it off to 50 baht.... there are several shops I deal with that do that... so I think it all evens out in the end! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Since I read this post I have noticed that every time I shop in 7-11s, my total always comes to something and 50 setang - and I never am offed the spare 50 setang in my change.

I now carry a handful of 10 setangs with me and always give 5 x 10 setangs with my payment.

If the bug*gers want to play silly setangs , they're gonna end up with more than they started with!

R

Edited by robsamui

I now carry a handful of 10 setangs with me and always give 5 x 10 setangs with my payment.

If you are concerned about getting the setangs back then you should know that they are only available as 25 and 50, no 10 setang.

My local 7/11 has a bowl on the counter where you can dispose of them or pick some if you want exact change back..

Edited by lom
  • Like 1

Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Have to confess I haven't started my plan yet . . . but it's happening as soon as I break into my piggy bank.

(Sounds like your 7-11 hasn't caught on yet . . .)

R