To Pay Or Not To Pay

Neeranam

I bought my daughter a Samsung Galaxy Smartphone at Christmas from the DTAC shop and the screen stopped working last week. It wasn't smashed.

I was told that it was guaranteed for 15 months so took it to the Samsung service centre. They called me a couple of days ago saying it would cost 2200 to fix and I argued that it was under guarantee and was not willing to pay,so they said they would get back to me. They sent me an SMS yesterday saying it was ready to pick up so I went today and they asked for 2200 baht! I refused to pay as I could have got a new screen elsewhere for cheaper. They said I must pay and I told them where to go as I told them on the phone I as not prepared to pay that much or anything at all actually.

They still have the phone = what to do?

Typical Thai reaction to any 'guarantee'. As far as they are concerned they've got your dosh and you've got the problem.

Go direct to Samsung and you should be ok.

They havent got my money and I went to Samsung direct.

if you bought it at christmas it is only 6 months old, my samsung phone had a sticker put inside it with the date of purchase and all I ever did was take it back to the place I bought it and they sent it to the samsung repair shop, never paid a thing for any of it. You should still have the warranty card with the length of warranty, they cannot refuse or charge you as long as it it is inside the warranty period. Contact samsung head office(not in Thailand as they will never answer you), if they refuse to give the phone to you & you can prove it is still under warranty threaten legal action, Would be interesting to see why they are trying to charge you with it under warranty, I would be asking for the reason especially as the screen was not damaged but just stopped working, that qualifies as a product fault not the fault of the customer,

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

If you have got proof of the guarantee in writing, and you were not just told about the guarantee by the shop assistant just to make a sale, take it back to the shop, and stand your ground.

Tell whoever serves you that you are not leaving until you get satifaction, and mean it, don't get angry, and don't raise your voice. I had an issue with my Samsung smartphone only last week, I took it to AIS, and the assistant did not give me any satifaction.

I just told her I will not move until I get this issue sorted out, and they can get the police if they want to. After leaving me for about twenty mins, someone else came to see me, and to cut a long story short, I got the issue fixed there and then, and was asked through the back and offered coffee.

The thing is, if you know your are in the right, stand your ground, I know from experience that it nearly always works. Good luck.

• Like 1

My wife bought a top spec Samsung Galaxy about 6 months ago and the screen also stopped working around 5-6 weeks ago. Was purchased from an independent retailer inside the local Tesco mall. Shop sent it off and after 3 weeks or so was returned and promptly seized up ago on first use, off it went again and wife has had it back for a few days now and working fine. The phone was sent to Samsung service centre both times and payment was never mentioned.

I'm pretty sure the wife's 'phone had 12 month guarantee and not 15 but could be wrong.

currently at 7-11 they got joey jump smartphones at under 2000 baht ish . think they are custom asus zenfones.

doubt she would notice a difference unless she is a brand poser. you save 200 baht in the process.

Edited by eish

Here my advice (worked for me already a lot of times):

1. Take everything you have (guarantee, purchase bill, etc.) with you and make a complaint at the nearest Tourist Police Boot.
Remember to STAY CALM AND POLITE to the Tourist Police.

2. Ask them to go with you to the Samsung shop and help you resolve the case (that is their job).

They will go with you and talk to the Samsung people in a way the can't refuse.

3. Walk back with the phone without paying anything to SAMSUNG.

When you are back at the Tourist Police boot, give them a (big) tip for their help (comes handy next time you need them).

4. NEVER BUY any sh*t from Samsung.

Hope this helps

Another way to solution this matter "peaceful" is to write this on the public media.

This worked for me.

I gave my child a HTC phone for her New Year a few years ago.
The phone never worked good and was a real PITA.

Booting up took the phone about 5 minutes.

Finally, the screen was not responding anymore.

But the warranty period was over.

A HTC service was called and a few days later a pickyp collected the phone for repair.

But after 2 months, still no sign from my phone.

Called and wrote faxes (in every possible language) but at no aval.

So, I decided to setup a Facebook page about HTC service.

In a week, people from all over the world wrote the PITA they had been trough with HTC service.

Less than a week after setting up the group, I received a message from an agent from HTC apoligizing for the actions of their service and that the phone repair would cost x.xxx baht.
I said to not repair it and they send it back to me within 3 days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107853242749542/

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Why did you tell them where to go? I believe it would have been better to have discussed the issue rationally and calmly. Why do all the threads like this featuring the farang getting angry and probably shouting? It usually resolves little here.

You will have to go back or contact head office or take the financial hit. I would pursue it.

No the best is to shout as loud as possible and call them all animal names you know in Thai (reptilians are the most popular). My Thai wife is doing that and always got what she wants.

• Like 1

1. Take everything you have (guarantee, purchase bill, etc.) with you and make a complaint at the nearest Tourist Police Boot.

2. Ask them to go with you to the Samsung shop and help you resolve the case (that is their job).

When you are back at the Tourist Police boot, give them a (big) tip for their help (comes handy next time you need them).

4. NEVER BUY any shit from Samsung.

Hope this helps

I just wanted to buy a Samsung S5.

I read before about someone having similar problems with Samsung and I thought, you never know what really happens.

Now that is the second story and I'll follow your advise: "4. NEVER BUY any shit from Samsung." So I don't get into this kind of troubles....

4. NEVER BUY any shit from Samsung.

Hope this helps

I just wanted to buy a Samsung S5.

I read before about someone having similar problems with Samsung and I thought, you never know what really happens.

Now that is the second story and I'll follow your advise: "4. NEVER BUY any shit from Samsung." So I don't get into this kind of troubles....

Try to get an I - thing repaired at an official shop.... not fun either. Lowest cost option seems to be these little repair booths. Takes a few hours only...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app