Westerners Don't stick up for each other

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would his country of origin have anything to do with it?

You make a good example...

You demonstrate a post-modern, egalitarian paradigm; the kind of thinking which has gained a strong hold in the mind of developed-nations' populations.

However; many westerners are living in SE Asia to escape that whole stream of thought.

Slightly ironic that you try to keep your egalitarian paradigm alive in Thailand... especially when, as a race, we are a minority and are often the subject of discrimination ...in a culture, which itself, doesn't promote those egalitarian values which you hold onto.

I would suggest that westerners should show more solidarity... not only as a stepping-stone, or base, for sticking-up for egalitarian values, but also, because we are a minority yet subject to institutionalized discrimination.

In English please?

• Like 1

You demonstrate a post-modern, egalitarian paradigm; the kind of thinking which has gained a strong hold in the mind of developed-nations' populations.

However; many westerners are living in SE Asia to escape that whole stream of thought.

Slightly ironic that you try to keep your egalitarian paradigm alive in Thailand... especially when, as a race, we are a minority and are often the subject of discrimination ...in a culture, which itself, doesn't promote those egalitarian values which you hold onto.

I would suggest that westerners should show more solidarity... not only as a stepping-stone, or base, for sticking-up for egalitarian values, but also, because we are a minority yet subject to institutionalized discrimination.

In English please?

I'll bounce off what you said to make my point...

You've got a very modern way of thinking.

However, in many ways, Thailand is old fashioned but that's what many of us like about it.

Your "modern way of thinking" is considered nothing but the behaviour of kooks, in Thailand.

Listen; we're acting counter-productive to our own interests. Instead of being aloof and acting individually, let's recognise that we share roughly the same mindset and look out for each other.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

When I see someone in trouble I will often provide them with the information they need to make their decisions - except when I can already see that they have an attitude problem.

Most people I saw getting in trouble had an attitude problem - often, that's also what got them in trouble in the first place.

• Like 2

How often during conversation with a farang do you sense that the farang is showing disrespect towards Thais. How many talk about the ladies with disrespect. How often do you hear that a Thai lady took advanage of the farang. I hear it often and feel the farang is not in touch with the culture and the people. Once he shows disrespect then I feel most of the problems he is having is on himself. I don't help nor pay attention to these people. Most Thais try their best to show respect even when they do not receive the same in return.

• Like 2

Your idea of a post-modern egalitarian paradigm is a load of crap if the Westerner is being a total drunken boar or an opinionated arse.

...the odds are greatly stacked against us......

...besides, there is no place for truth, honor or justice....

...even most wives are mortal enemies.....

...we have little or no rights......

...greatly outnumbered....

....despised, resented....

....lying, cheating and stealing from....or any other abusive action...against a non-Thai....unfortunately is looked upon as 'savvy'...or...'smarts'...

....we all have to tread softly......anything can and will be used against us...especially fabricated 'facts'.......

....so........

• Like 1

How often during conversation with a farang do you sense that the farang is showing disrespect towards Thais. How many talk about the ladies with disrespect. How often do you hear that a Thai lady took advanage of the farang. I hear it often and feel the farang is not in touch with the culture and the people. Once he shows disrespect then I feel most of the problems he is having is on himself. I don't help nor pay attention to these people. Most Thais try their best to show respect even when they do not receive the same in return.

Many, especially old farangs display a superiority behavior and are disrespectful to Thais very often when driving. Often the same when Americans are in Mexico. This are people who worked as unskilled blue color workers, are now lucky to get $2000 retirement a month.

So give examples of when you have shown 'solidarity' and stood up for 'egalitarian' values? When a farang is in an argument and it is clearly his/her fault, would you still support him/her or would you go against your own 'egalitarian' values?

Half of the farang are here on a mental disability. I have come to Thailand many times and only had problems with Taxi drivers on drugs

"Half of the farang are here on a mental disability.'

Count me in the first half - my Thai partner is always telling me this, so it must be true.

Calmly saunter up, and in a level voice ask both parties "Is this a private war, or can anyone join in?". Assuming you get a verbal, not physical, response, thank all, then keep calm and carry on in whatever manner you deem most appropriate.

Most westerners I have met here in Thailand are selfish, arrogant and out for what ever they can get for themselves so your comment doesn't surprise me but it's the same back in the west as well.

Really? Most of the foreigners I've met here are actually nice people, who just want to earn a living and enjoy seeing New places. Sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong people/ at the wrong places.

• Like 2

If you think I am going to stick up for a fat bellied drunk or disgusting sexpat who is badly behaved then forget it. If I see a respectable person who is lost or unwell then certainly I will "stick up" for them.

Race does not have anything to do with it. It is the type of person he or she presents as which is the criteria for my giving assistance.

We do stick together, forever telling eachother about scams, which shop, restaurant or market has the best prices and dont overcharge etc. When it comes to an actual street confrontation, Providing we had seen the entire situation evolve and an innocent person was involved, I would think and like to believe that all of us would stand up for anyone, whether they Thai or Foreign. The problem is, if you dont see the catalyst for the altercation, the victim is drunk or abusive. Its a hard call but human nature is to help those in need and I think we still do.

• Like 2

So the OP has seen this many times, and some of those times the foreigner was drunk.

I've never seen this.

Let's get to the root of the problem. If someone is being taken advantage of while drunk, deal with the drinking problem, which is the root problem, not the Thais taking advantage.

http://aathailand.org lists AA meetings here in Thailand. I think you'll find the people in those meetings would be willing to help you with your problem.

How patronising... The OP simply threw in 'maybe drunk', and suddenly they need to attend AA meetings!? LOL If they breathe in some second hand smoke from a cigarette, should they then be shipped off to a rehabilitation centre?

Before you try to target me for being a drunk, I barely partake anymore, but are you saying that everyone who has ever left their stressful 'rat race' life back home, and had a tipple on holiday, should be marched off to the monkey house or AA clinics?? LOL You really should get out more.

Why do most bloggers on TV seem so resentful and and ready to pounce? (I know, I know, you can now call me a hypocrite. But they were only voicing out.)

It seems to me that this is the latest and greatest way of putting people down, without actually having to deal with the consequences. Let me tell you, if you spoke to everybody like this in real time, then you for certain, would often find yourself in spots of bother.

Anyway, point taken... if we ever see you in any kind of trouble, drunk or as sober as a judge, then we will all be sure to steer clear.

• Like 1

It depends. If someone is being crazy and belligerent while drunk, honestly, nothing you can really do that won't just drag you down in the muck. However, I have had a few times where a drunk foreigner was just starting to panic because he had lost track of his friends or couldn't find his hotel but couldn't communicate with Thais. In a few of those situations, I have stepped in and figured out where they were staying or whatever.

The Thais in those cases were not trying to do anything bad--they were trying to help get the guy home. They were happy to have someone speak to him in English and it was all smiles as we got the guy onto my motorbike and on his way.

So, it does happen, but don't expect strangers...yeah, "falang" strangers, too, to jump in regardless of the situation. Anyway, like others have said, I rarely see this kind of stuff, but I don't live in one of the big foreigner areas.

It boils down to this if I saw several people ganging up on lets say a woman Then give your soul to God cause the rest is mine. Same for a child, If I felt at the time the person might be harmed. But in a bar Your on your own unless It meant again you might be hurt more than needed. But sometimes a few words can defuse the problem, After all we might be dealing with a culture issue, But say if I see you walk up to a thai lady sitting alone at the moment then her boyfriend comes back then it is your issue. Or if I see someone drug your drink when your not looking I would call the person on that account up front.

wife repeatedly warns me off reacting to any situation involving others in Thailand, whether that be in Private, public or on the roads.

"don' do that, you be killed & I don' man' to die. They shoot you"

Mostly this is repeated when it's a Thai man perpetuator, but also when it is a Farang, as more often than not, a Thai is usually also somehow involved or affected.

AND! you never get between two warring dogs...

• Like 1

I don't know what "taken for a mug" means.

It means "to be taken advantage of"

That's not my understanding of ....."being taken for a mug".............it would be ...."considered to be a bit of an idiot or stupid"

The OP beliefs/philosophy would make Mr. Gandhi and Mr Martin Luther King weaklings.

once a thai was using an inebriated caucasian as a punching bag after he was already on the ground not resisting. i asked in thai if he thought that is enough already? and i invited him to eat. i did it in a non menacing way. he left not wanting to eat with me. not sticking up for the guy based on race but on feeling sorry for him.

you group any non Thai as a farang, or just western looking types?

No matter the colour of skin or origin of birth, I am not getting involved in others' problems. It invariably leads to more problems down the line. So what if a falang is being ripped off or mugged off. They'll learn. My involvement would not help.

Dog eat dog world my friend

i agree 100% with the post.....people should stick together in a foreign country like here, to find help and real good information.

we are too individual and think we can do everything alone and this is wrong.

thats why all around the world to be stronger you will find chinna town, litle italy or only spanish areas.....they are really smarter than we are here.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2