Girlfriend wants me to buy her a house

y2k

Just found the love of my life. We intend to get married after I've sorted out my side of things (too messy to get into here). She is keen on buying a new house which has a four-month lead time and has asked me to put up the necessary cash. I'm a little wary so suggested she investigate into the possibility of having both our names on the property. She originally agreed and is now asking that I give it to her as a wedding present then I wouldn't have to pay for the other things that I am supposed to buy according to Thai custom. My contribution would be over 1millionTHB. Am I wrong to be reluctant to do this even if I love her?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

polite people wait for an offer its probably not a request thought up on her own she has family influence by the sound of it

its up to you i suggest you tell her its just you and me other wise you may open a can of very expensive can of worms

make it very clear now its totally up to you with whom you share if that doesn't go down very well

then again up to you remembering when a thai lady says up to you really means they NO LIKE

• Like 2

Tell her to pay the deposit and get the home loan as her part of the bargain.

Then you will make all the monthly payments for the next 25 years as your share.

How generous is that offer!

(Deposit on 1M, about 100k, repayments on 900k over 25y about 7k/month)

I find the idea of a 25-year loan frightening. Are there shorter term mortgages?

I would have thought by now with the internet being so mainstream and Thai ladies reputation proceeding them that posts like this would start to dry up. Seems not.

Be kind I'm new here.

Is it actually possible to buy a house with two names one being non-Thai (me)?

No, go the 25 year loan route.

Paying cash puts her in charge, paying on credit puts you in charge.

You can pay the loan off whenever you like, but it usually isn't a good idea.

Read the Sandman thread "I built her a house and now it's finished, we no longer have sex"

Like.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter about the house. The house can be in you or your G/F's name. What matters is the Canute (Land Deed) and no it can't be in your name. But you can have a 30 year lease put on the land which makes it less sellable.

It doesn't matter about the house. The house can be in you or your G/F's name. What matters is the Canute (Land Deed) and no it can't be in your name. But you can have a 30 year lease put on the land which makes it less sellable.

Registering a 30 year lease against a Chanotte doesn't make it any less saleable as long as the lease holder agrees to the sale.

When there is a wil, there is a way (around it).

• Like 2

Registering a 30 year lease against a Chanotte doesn't make it any less saleable as long as the lease holder agrees to the sale.

Or disagrees and the land owner just forges his signature to cancel the lease and promptly sells it on to the bank. As was said - where there's a will there's a way.

I hear what you all say and the logical decision would be to say no. But is it that bad a thing to listen to your heart and do what you think you should do and that you know will make her happy?

Am I taking a HUGE risk in doing so?

What risks have you taken and have they paid off?

• Like 1