Corvette... U Know You Want One

Yeah I know.

The BIB seem to like the Chonburi bridge so be careful with the screaming.

Slightly newer model vettes on display at Mega for $7.5M, along with Camaro, Mustang and Dodge Challenger around $4.5M. All LHD.

• Like 1

Any idea what year model the OP picture is? It's a 73-??

In 73 the US emission laws went into effect and the manufacturers hadn't yet figured out how to get a lot of power and still meet emissions standards. The Vettes went from a powerhouse in 72 to dogs in 73. Even the 454 was a dog. The area in the valve chambers in the heads grew, and they got dished piston tops to radically reduce the compression ratio.

When a car is 25 years old it no longer has to meet emissions standards, so many of them have been corrected with pop-up pistons, a good cam, a good carb, and an aftermarket ignition and advance weights put in the distributor to get enough timing advance.

I would be careful because even with a good engine, that series of vette is neither popular nor valuable in the US. I'll bet I could buy one in decent shape for US$5,000 (160,000 bht.)

Does it even have a Chevy engine in it? So many of those older cars there have been converted to newer Toyota V8 or Nissan 6 with turbo charger and they think they're worth more then.. FYI point of information, they are rather coveted here still as I've seen several going for north of $20,000 which is not far off their new price..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The sign says year '82

Yeah, I can't remember as much any more but I think they made that body style through about 82. None of them had a truly high performance engine as the 72 and earlier vettes IIRC.

I don't recall Chevy coming out with the next truly high performance engine until the LT1 350 in about 94. Even that grew into the LS which got better and better.

I had a 96 LT1 Z28 convertible and it was fast enough, but not like the older ones or the ones they build today.

Here is an 82 vette asking $6,000 and it's a collectors edition with only 62,000 miles. I'd want if for less due to needing paint. LINK

They just really aren't that valuable through those years, 73 - 93.

The sign says year '82

Yeah, I can't remember as much any more but I think they made that body style through about 82.

Come on, we all know that they made as many different models as they sold cars actually

Yeah the lightened (read stripped out) pumped up, modern Vettes have trouble doing 195 on a track more like 185/190 with a lot of factors playing in, 195-225 depending on the track and subsequent gearing, that's a full blown Vette GT car, tube chassis still tough to run 195 in a reasonable distance though possible but a far from stock C6-7 not even a C3...

Edited by WarpSpeed

The torque is unbelievable.Puts ya Back in the seat.

A friend of mine has a Hyundai H1. His driver always puts him in the back seat.tongue.png

The new 2014 Corvette is starting to look like a world sportscar. The "go forth and multiply" this is my car interior needs some work to make the passenger feel more welcome but... If Chevrolet hired some Italians to work on the shape/interior....

The older Corvettes are like badly assembled Lotus Europas. Rattle over every bump. So on most of Thailand's roads you will need a loud stereo.sad.png

Edit: The Corvette is like the USA Soccer team? Much vaunted by Americans, looks good on paper but doesn't stack up to the competition when overseas. whistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

New Dodge Hellcat 707 looks rather usefull.

Had to look it up. A Dodge Challenger on steroids. money.cnn.com

Chrysler Group is taking muscle cars to steroid-crazed levels with its new V8 engine. The Dodge Challenger SRT with the optional Hellcat engine, available starting in the fall, will put out a total of 707 horsepower.

This will be "the most powerful muscle car ever," according to Chrysler.

The Challenger SRT Hellcat will have an eight speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual. It will be competing against cars like General Motors (GM)' Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 with its 580 horsepower V8 and the 662 horsepower Ford (F) Shelby GT500 which recently went out of production. A Ford spokesman wouldn't comment on its competitors car, but a new Shelby GT500 with, potentially, more power is expected to be revealed some time soon.

140702100137-2015-dodge-challenger-hellc

And on topic, the Corvette Z06 fights Lamborghini, Ferrari with 650 horsepower

General Motors' new Chevrolet Corvette Z06, expected to go on sale early next year, will produce 650 horsepower from its 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine, the automaker announced Friday.

When the Z06 was first unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January, GM (GM) would only say that its engine would produce "at least 625 horsepower."

The 650 horsepower figure puts the Z06 among some very fast company including not only the Dodge Viper (640 hp) and Ford Shelby GT500 (662 hp) but also supercars cars like the Lamborghini Hurucán (610 hp), Ferrari FF (651 hp) and McLaren 650S (641 hp).

• Like 2

The sign says year '82

Yeah, I can't remember as much any more but I think they made that body style through about 82.

Come on, we all know that they made as many different models as they sold cars actually

I'm not sure what you mean. From 73 through 82 the bodies were essentially the same, with incremental trim changes such a grills, back panels, side vents, and of course engines. But they were the same platform.

They were also dogs until someone went clear through the engines using performance parts.

post-164212-0-76517700-1404420521_thumb.

post-164212-0-13427400-1404420553_thumb.

Yeah I know.

Slightly newer model vettes on display at Mega for $7.5M, along with Camaro, Mustang and Dodge Challenger around $4.5M. All LHD.

Can you point to me to some more info about Mega Jitar? Do they have a web page?

Yeah I know.

Can you point to me to some more info about Mega Jitar? Do they have a web page?

I like CarMax. they have the best selection of exotics.

http://www.one2car.com/CARMAX

• Like 1

Yeah I know.

I like CarMax. they have the best selection of exotics.

http://www.one2car.com/CARMAX

Good onya Rdrokit, thanks mate! Having a look now, they do have a great selection. The prices mentioned above by Jitar are a fair bit of coin I suppose, certainly compared to what you could buy the cars for in the US, but life is too short and you can't take it with you eh? And bugger the price of fuel, it's a small price to pay for that glorious V8 soundtrack and torque I reckon.

Only thing that concerns me about a LHD car in Thailand is overtaking, thought it's no issue if you have a co-pilot who's awake I suppose.

Right, time to start counting the biccies, thanks again Rdrokit!

In 73 the US emission laws went into effect and the manufacturers hadn't yet figured out how to get a lot of power and still meet emissions standards. The Vettes went from a powerhouse in 72 to dogs in 73. Even the 454 was a dog. The area in the valve chambers in the heads grew, and they got dished piston tops to radically reduce the compression ratio.

When a car is 25 years old it no longer has to meet emissions standards, so many of them have been corrected with pop-up pistons, a good cam, a good carb, and an aftermarket ignition and advance weights put in the distributor to get enough timing advance.

I would be careful because even with a good engine, that series of vette is neither popular nor valuable in the US. I'll bet I could buy one in decent shape for US$5,000 (160,000 bht.)

All true,

My 73 was the last year with rear chrome bumper, after that went to polyurethane, very cheap looking.

Also the fact they ran on regular instead of high test due to emissions control added headaches trying to get them to pass IM inspections, a lot adopted from the California standard, (EGR, exhaust air injection pumps, retarded ignition timing, etc),

The small block 350 which came with a Carter Quadrajet carb and high rise intake was a good motor.

With a little after market, (decent headers, dual-point distrib, ...) helped to get a little HP back.

IMHO, that's series had the best form factor, with the Mako shark fender gills, concealed head lights, etc.

All true,

My 73 was the last year with rear chrome bumper, after that went to polyurethane, very cheap looking.

Also the fact they ran on regular instead of high test due to emissions control added headaches trying to get them to pass IM inspections, a lot adopted from the California standard, (EGR, exhaust air injection pumps, retarded ignition timing, etc),

The small block 350 which came with a Carter Quadrajet carb and high rise intake was a good motor.

With a little after market, (decent headers, dual-point distrib, ...) helped to get a little HP back.

IMHO, that's series had the best form factor, with the Mako shark fender gills, concealed head lights, etc.

Dual point distributor............bah.gif ............sad.png

I was never a Corvette fan as they were always too small for me. No room for suitcases and golf clubs if you wanted to take a trip. I did own the 63 for a bit when I lived in the states. Got a good buy on it and turned it for a nice profit as it had the 340hp 327 with a 4 speed and had both the convertible and removable hard top.

63Vette.jpg

I don't know a lot about American muscle cars, but I'd love to have something with a big spluttering V8, if only to see the expression on the locals faces, even if I could only afford to take it out once a week. The kind of engine that everyone else can feel in their chest as you go past. I wouldn't even need speed, just presence. Maybe an old TransAm with the T roof.

I once saw one of these driving to Hampstead, past the Old Bull and Bush doing about 25 miles an hour sounding amazing, with "High Energy " blearing out, but not enough to drown the engine.

SDM

I don't know a lot about American muscle cars, but I'd love to have something with a big spluttering V8, if only to see the expression on the locals faces, even if I could only afford to take it out once a week. The kind of engine that everyone else can feel in their chest as you go past. I wouldn't even need speed, just presence. Maybe an old TransAm with the T roof.

I once saw one of these driving to Hampstead, past the Old Bull and Bush doing about 25 miles an hour sounding amazing, with "High Energy " blearing out, but not enough to drown the engine.

SDM

If you really want a V-8 the check the Thai American Car Club website from time to time as many V-8s come up for sale. I bought a 65 Oldsmobile Cutlass off the site and dropped in a Lexus 4 liter V-8 in it. Put some dual glass packs on it and it woke all the neighbors up every time I started it. I sold it a couple years ago to another club member. It sure was funs and it got rubber going into second gear but the wife was not to fond of it.

www.thaiamericancarclub.com/

IMGP0173.jpg

IMGP0008.jpg

SDM

The T roof Trans is a no no, body twist, unless you are only going to do 25 mph....smile.png