Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard to miss when bars empty, shops empty, hotels empty.

Will be interesting to see how many business will close down shortly.

Interesting not the excitement but rather curious.

Few hours ago I was the only customer in bar in soi buakhao

so i was not wrong!

the other day i was at the airport, to catch a flight by night. And it was like they have put a curfew inside the departure area.

I never saw it so empty, but really empty. Most of the desk of any company were deserted.

I think this time they really reach the bottom.

• Like 1

the streets are a mess
and this town is full if <deleted>
they all want my money to get down on all fours
my heart has been stolen and pawned at the shop
I got no reaction when I tried to tell a cop

the streets are a mess
love don't live here anymore
no one to fold up my clothes or mop the condo floor
this town is full of losers, I don't know why they're here
grimaced faces smoking a buri and drowning in beer

the streets are a mess
but this isn't about me, it's about you, inflating prices who ruined the party
the streets are a mess
please hear my voice and join my lament
the streets are a mess and I'm ready to slam into the cement

the streets are a mess.........burp.gif

• Like 2

Hard to miss when bars empty, shops empty, hotels empty.

Will be interesting to see how many business will close down shortly.

Interesting not the excitement but rather curious.

Few hours ago I was the only customer in bar in soi buakhao

What you need to consider is how many of the local businesses rely solely on tourists

compared to how many rely on Thai's and expats?

I think the majority rely on Thai's and expats.

I've also noticed more Thais visiting Pattaya from other areas than in previous years,

especially during the weekends.

And there's still quite a few of our Russian & Indian speaking friends roaming around.

I have to disagree with you. Majority of businesses rely on tourists. Locals and expats hardly pay the rents let alone bills and wages.

Yes more Thai come to visit over the weekend but they seem to drive in, drive around and drive out.

Russians that I see are all on pre paid tours.

Someone mentioned discounts. Works in theory, but at the moment not much point to offer discounts if no people around at all.

Also keep in mind, locals have much less spending power because they do not make any money .

Noticed a number of developments frozen as well

• Like 2

The usual quite period after songkran was a little longer due to the coup but the last 2 weeks as busy as ever. Suppose location.product.service etc determines if one will still attract customers or not

Sent from my TRUE BEYOND 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This town is dead when compared to the "good old days" of yesteryear. My sympathies to all businesses that depend on tourism as these are circumstances beyond their control. Business should put immense pressure on the powers that be, that tourists and their government's will not visit or support a banana republic. I hope the local economy can be supported by expats and Thai, weekends can be busy still with lots of shoppers buying the necessities.

• Like 2

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Yes, I have noticed that prices are not going down. Very curious. The worldwide tendency to exercise the competitive edge seems to not exist here. Am I missing something? One would think you would be looking to fill up your restaurant, your rooms in your hotel, or your establishment with patrons. Half price drinks, discounts, etc? Raising prices when biz is low is insanity, and a complete lack of common sense and reason. Wait a minute, did I just describe planet Thailandia?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The problem is prices have risen over the past few years. Its impossible to offer a 50 baht bottle of beer at half price when the purchase cost per unit us 30 baht

• Like 2

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Yes, I have noticed that prices are not going down. Very curious. The worldwide tendency to exercise the competitive edge seems to not exist here. Am I missing something? One would think you would be looking to fill up your restaurant, your rooms in your hotel, or your establishment with patrons. Half price drinks, discounts, etc? Raising prices when biz is low is insanity, and a complete lack of common sense and reason. Wait a minute, did I just describe planet Thailandia?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

The problem is prices have risen over the past few years. Its impossible to offer a 50 baht bottle of beer at half price when the purchase cost per unit us 30 baht

Even if it was possible, you still need people willing to pay half price.

Being in business myself, i am seriously worried about high season coming up. If it does not rebound and i mean really rebound, i am afraid you will be seeing hundreds of businesses closing down.

Last high season was hardly high

• Like 1

This. Prices have steadily increased, especially in the last couple of years.

And many hotels have come down with their rates, I get a lot of promotional e-mails. The hotel I usually stay in in BKK (a 5-star) now asks for a very reasonable rate.

10 Yeats its the same story. Isn't it quite. Samui.phuket. Pattaya all the forums the same. Tourist numbers have increased. Yes it is quite as normal and the coup didn't help. Most businesses plan for seasonal adjustments. A few months we will be getting threads " isn't Pattaya busy" as per last year. Businesses will close as they do but those serious will continue as normal.

Edited by PattayaPhom

10 Yeats its the same story. Isn't it quite. Samui.phuket. Pattaya all the forums the same. Tourist numbers have increased. Yes it is quite as normal and the coup didn't help. Most businesses plan for seasonal adjustments. A few months we will be getting threads " isn't Pattaya busy" as per last year. Businesses will close as they do but those serious will continue as normal.

We only hope you are right for businesses sake. I think you are under stating the severity as most business models adjust for low season tourism but not operate at substantial losses.

• Like 1

You failing to see the fundamental changes.

For starters tourist numbers have increased according to TAT only.

Secondly and most importantly the demographics of tourists has changed.

Number of prepaid tours have gone crazy and while more go through the gates of airport, those prepaid groups do not spend any money in the country

It also has nothing to do with being a serious business or not. It solely relies on owners ability to fund the business through the rough times.

You failing to see the fundamental changes.

For starters tourist numbers have increased according to TAT only.

Secondly and most importantly the demographics of tourists has changed.

Number of prepaid tours have gone crazy and while more go through the gates of airport, those prepaid groups do not spend any money in the country

It also has nothing to do with being a serious business or not. It solely relies on owners ability to fund the business through the rough times.

• Like 1

The only indicator of this Ive noticed is long lines of parked baht buses at 2nd road/Pattaya Tai & Pattaya Klang. Ive never seen so many lined up and parked for so long each day.

Have you noticed the lack of tour buses parked at night and the fewer number of baht buses or tooting their horns for fares or motorbike taxis sitting around aimlessly waiting for a fare?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Wouldn't it be complete insanity to do what you advise...why offer discounts and lower prices when there's little business to be had in the first case. Wouldn't a business just loose more money more quickly if they took your advice? Seems like your advocating the old joke where the businessman says "I'm loosing 10 baht on every drink sale but I'll make it up on volume."

• Like 1

Just checked Wotif Pattaya. Hotel prices havent changed

I've noticed some pretty aggressive prices but these are for Thais and local expats and we always have these rainy season specials. Like the 6-star Regent Resort in Phuket for B 3000 a nite...normal price at least double.