Troops find 91,000 sacks of rice missing from a Pathum Thani warehouse

Lite Beer

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one in their right mind expected there to be no rice missing. Robbing a warehouse is a lot easier than robbing a bank, and getting cheap labor to pull such antics is very inexpensive. And as one poster adroitly observed -- there is also the distinct chance that the rice that was paid for was never there at all. Without having responsible authorities on hand to supervise the weighing, storing and counting of such a huge volume of goods, it is just too easy for people to pull all sorts of scams and fraud.

The problem is older than coins minted in the 1970's.

Why are there no surveillance cameras in these warehouses, and have never been? This is the fuel that runs the country and someone has a very old and active siphon. From previous reports, there has been robbery from the warehouses since the 1950's that has been carried out with utter impunity.

I hope arrests and meaningful punishments are delivered, but I suspect those responsible will be sentenced to two years suspended and a fine of less than a half-million baht.

I also suspect no monitoring system worth a crap will ever be in place.

The political problems Thailand has had are a symptom of social problems they have yet to address. Until they do, we will see new Sutheps and Thaksins forever.

• Like 2

Have the NCPO set up a free hotline that people can report anonymously any wrong doings at their place of employment??? NCPO should offer a reward, that would get some people to spill the beans or rice in this case laugh.png .... it would be a good idea for any business connected a PTP populist policies. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The rice scheme was a Taksin/red faction project, so the army are purposely digging to make Taksin and crew to be the number one enemies of the state. Blacken their names, have the courts ban them from future elections, and bingo, you guys have a one party yellow government, forever! Enjoy.

Blah, blah blah, is the rice missing or not? I suppose the army, or anyone else should refrain from investigating just to keep you happy. The Shins are not exempt from scrutiny, and they shouldn't be.
So what. The money/rice, all gone. Will a million investigations bring it all back? Of course not.

Personally I don't give a stuff, what's the point anyway, farang?

Ah, yes...nothing to be done about it.

So lets just drop the matter and carry on.

The rice, if it was ever there to begin with, cannot be brought back.

The money sure can, and then some. Remains to be seen if this shall happen.

Not directly effecting most of us foreigners, not even directly effecting most Thais.

Indirectly, as people living here with families, yes - to the extent it further messes up the economy

and further promotes corrupted practices.

It certainly ain't your problem is it, and most Thais know well enough not to poke a scorpion.

As for promoting corruption, Thailand has long been a shining example of corruption in practice.

So what. The money/rice, all gone. Will a million investigations bring it all back? Of course not.

Personally I don't give a stuff, what's the point anyway, farang?

Ah, yes...nothing to be done about it.

So lets just drop the matter and carry on.

The rice, if it was ever there to begin with, cannot be brought back.

The money sure can, and then some. Remains to be seen if this shall happen.

Not directly effecting most of us foreigners, not even directly effecting most Thais.

Indirectly, as people living here with families, yes - to the extent it further messes up the economy

and further promotes corrupted practices.

It certainly ain't your problem is it, and most Thais know well enough not to poke a scorpion.

As for promoting corruption, Thailand has long been a shining example of corruption in practice.

How is further messing of the country where me and my family lives in isn't my problem?

Thailand is indeed a hub of corruption, is your stance then that there's nothing to be done about it,

and overall better to let it get worse?

• Like 2

Do I read this right? 91,000 out of 130,000 sacks of rice missing! PTP certainly wasn't thinking small-time...

One obvious point though was that if the rice was imaginary thus boosting the crop size, then the point of it can't have been to boost prices.

Some of the rice companies must know what was happening. C

Volumes must have spiked.

The rice scheme was a Taksin/red faction project, so the army are purposely digging to make Taksin and crew to be the number one enemies of the state. Blacken their names, have the courts ban them from future elections, and bingo, you guys have a one party yellow government, forever! Enjoy.

You may be ignoring the important fact that if there was nothing to find, then nothing would be found, and your mate's good name could NOT be blackened...but.... this proves conclusively that there ARE things to find.

The next is to uncover the guilty party and charge them as appropriate - whoever it may be.

• Like 1

On the flip side, who says the missing bags ever got into the warehouse in the first place?

The way these people keep their accounting and track things, this could very well be a clerical error, much less rats in camouflage depleting the resources.

This article seems more like a magicians attempt to point out a time and event on the one hand whilst ignoring more legitimate times and events on the other hand.

That's a pretty amazing "clerical error" that stacked the rice sacks up as camouflage...if it was a clerical error, and they covered up the fact, that's still fraud and if the rice was there and now it's gone, that's either theft, or fraud or both.

Either way - criminal charges should follow for someone somewhere.

• Like 1

How can anyone still write such biased nonsense today, the truth must be sooo hard to digest for you guys that some turn yellow, from the bile accumulating... Maybe change your avatar too, because hawks are supposed to have a sharp, clear, view, and they don't wear red shades...

• Like 1

I can just imagine the counting,,,

troops - "So where are the other 91,000 sacks?"

Warehouse owner - "well they were here last week, I am sure I put them in that corner over there"

What a total farce,, this will only get worse as the truth comes out. Someone has made a lot of money out of this whole disgraceful affair. I hope they uncover who, lock them up and throw away the key.

I think you mean a lot of ordinary people have Lost a lot of money in this disgraceful affair.

• Like 1

I can just imagine the counting,,,

troops - "So where are the other 91,000 sacks?"

Warehouse owner - "well they were here last week, I am sure I put them in that corner over there"

What a total farce,, this will only get worse as the truth comes out. Someone has made a lot of money out of this whole disgraceful affair. I hope they uncover who, lock them up and throw away the key.

...and get the stolen money back by selling out all of the families' assets!

Then a civil war,with the great majority wanting a democratic vote.

It is what TV members have been saying for a long time, but still nice to see proof.

When the rice scam is unraveled, I think a lot of the corruption money that was made will

have been off of phantom sacks of rice. Rice that was not stolen, but simply never

existed.

Amazing Thailand

Actually this is good news..... If the warehouses were full of rotting rice, there is not much

of a cure for that. If a massive shell game was played, with millions tons of phantom

rice, then it is simply a matter of doing a full financial investigation into this mess,

find out who has the money, and clawing it back from them....In the past this would

have been unthinkable, with with Prayuth on the job, this would be a piece of cake...

• Like 2

And why wouldn't you hound Thaksin, his clone and all the attached rif-raf out of Thai politics for ever?

• Like 1

the army is doing their duty to investigate the truth - and to proof it.

You do not like the truth? Why?

• Like 1