who are you behind that avatar?

Smurkster

I am your worst nightmare. I grew up on a real, very rural, Western US ranch.

To understand me, you need to ride a horse in government timber for 3 days straight and never see another person, road, or building.

Sleep on the ground knowing there are black bears and cougars in the neighborhood because you saw some that day.

Keep your rifle in your sleeping bag so it doesn't freeze.

Wake up when it's so cold you roll over and light the fire you made the night before, so you'll have some heat when you get out of your sleeping bag.

Look for stray cattle and herd them and drive them. Give them a bait of grain at night so they'll stick around. Go find them in the morning if they slip away. They won't go far.

And do it all alone when you're 15 years old.

I grew up in the mountains as well. My Dad used to tell me to go down and catch me a few steelhead off the river when they were running for dinner. I hunted duck and geese up on the local ponds. I used to get up before school and feed the animals( great learning responsibility). Like you we had mountain lions, black bears, aggressive raccoon's and loads of western diamond back rattle snakes. I was doing all of this early in age too., I had my first shotgun at 12. Back then they were used properly.

My Thai wife has seen that I have no need for coaching doing land management. In fact I have been able to show her and her Dad a few things.

Sorry to head off on a tangent from main post thread intent. I am not hiding, just don't trust the internet and the millions of psycho's out there. I will meet the people I want to meet. If anybody wants to get to know me they can always PM me. I put virtually nothing in my profile.

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am your worst nightmare. I grew up on a real, very rural, Western US ranch.

To understand me, you need to ride a horse in government timber for 3 days straight and never see another person, road, or building.

Sleep on the ground knowing there are black bears and cougars in the neighborhood because you saw some that day.

Keep your rifle in your sleeping bag so it doesn't freeze.

Wake up when it's so cold you roll over and light the fire you made the night before, so you'll have some heat when you get out of your sleeping bag.

Look for stray cattle and herd them and drive them. Give them a bait of grain at night so they'll stick around. Go find them in the morning if they slip away. They won't go far.

And do it all alone when you're 15 years old.

What you forgot is delivering a "breach" calf in a cold icy rainstorm in the middle of nowhere and the feeling that you have when it plopped on the ground alive and well with the mother eagerly cleaning it. Some good things you never forget.

• Like 1

I didn't grow up on a cattle ranch but I lived for a couple of years on a large one and remember helping to use one of this things sometimes when the calf ended up alive and sometimes not. Not pleasant. I also hunted for calves in the deep northern California ravines where the mother gave birth but the calf could not navigate the steep wet terrain.

Calf_Puller.jpg

Edited by JLCrab

What I got from the answers to this is simple. People here enjoy their privacy.

apparently so..that way they can continue to be keyboard warriors without any worry at all about anyone ever knowing squat about them

So says the member named "Smurkster" with the profile data:

• AgeAge Unknown
  • BirthdayBirthday Unknown
  • Gender mystery.png.pagespeed.ce.yVEHjFjYy3.png Not Telling

Best answer to OP so farclap2.gif + cheesy.gif + thumbsup.gif

I am 28, my birthday is September 30th and I am a male....was that so hard? I don't really see how giving your age and why you came to Thailand as giving up your ability to remain anonymous.. I would have gladly filled out that portion, I just never thought to, if you want to know something you can ask, I have nothing to hide behind....

I might not tell you my first and last name or my address, but I never asked that as part of the question

Edited by Smurkster

I am a contemplative man of action, an active loafer and a charitable taker. I like strong women because I need them to clean behind the fridge without bothering me to help move the fridge.

I came to Thailand when she was a wee little child to impart to her my wise Western ways, superior gastronomy skills and to teach her how to tie a plastic bag with rubber band that isn't a bitch to open.

I further spend my days spreading my awesome handsomeness and helping the less handsome realize the potential of their adequeteness.

When my work is done, I will retire to Zurich where the cost of living means that I will never have to loaf again.

T

apparently so..that way they can continue to be keyboard warriors without any worry at all about anyone ever knowing squat about them

Age Unknown
  • Birthday

Birthday Unknown
    mystery.png.pagespeed.ce.yVEHjFjYy3.png Not Telling

I am 28, my birthday is September 30th and I am a male....was that so hard? I don't really see how giving your age and why you came to Thailand as giving up your ability to remain anonymous.. I would have gladly filled out that portion, I just never thought to, if you want to know something you can ask, I have nothing to hide behind....

I might not tell you my first and last name or my address, but I never asked that as part of the question

Finally. We were dying to know.

Come on, tell us more, OP. What's your favourite colour? Scrambled eggs or fried eggs? Blur or Oasis? Who's your favourite Teletubby?

• Like 2

• AgeAge Unknown

• BirthdayBirthday Unknown

• Gender mystery.png.pagespeed.ce.yVEHjFjYy3.png Not Telling

Finally. We were dying to know.

Come on, tell us more, OP. What's your favourite colour? Scrambled eggs or fried eggs? Blur or Oasis? Who's your favourite Teletubby?

ill answer the tongue in cheek questions as if they were serious....Green, srambled, I don't like Blur or Oasis (I'm Canadian/American, they never made a real impact that side of the atlantic) and Po is by far my favorite teletubby :)

Edited by Smurkster

Just another old fart who loves it here, doctor I need to remove stress from my life so divorced the Ex hopped a plane and here I'am. less stress more enjoying life not messing with locals. Don't have to keep up with the Jones and best part NO DAMN OBAMA CARE!!!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

»Who are you behind that avatar?«

You can see who is behind my "avatar" by reading the profile...

By the way, who is behind Smurkster's avatar...?

Member Since 2013-08-23

Birthday: Birthday Unknown

Location ???

• Like 1

»Who are you behind that avatar?«

You can see who is behind my "avatar" by reading the profile...

By the way, who is behind Smurkster's avatar...?

Member Since 2013-08-23

Birthday: Birthday Unknown

Location ???

already answered those questions in a previous post....

I'm new to Thailand. I am 53, Canadian, teaching English, and it's my real name.

Came for a visit 4 years ago after a medical hiccup. Loved the place and realized it rejuvenated my stagnant creativity (photography).

When I got back to my job, I seemed to have picked up an attitude problem, all I could talk about was returning here.

So they helped me along by firing me, I sold everything, and I was off no regrets. Been here 3 years now.

For a change this topic seems to have brought out the nicer TV members.

ps...grammar Nazis please realize not everyone's first language is English and some people are just all thumbs on a keyboard.

Aaaaaaaaaand, I am English and failed my English exam half a century ago..........w00t.gif .....facepalm.gif

• Like 1

And you still cannot spell forty

Ok, now you, write "forty" in your second language. Or is English your second language? blink.png

"forty"

You can spell, but not understand whom I asked -

the -spelling police- =Saleg= or is this your second nick? rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO