Just blew out the motor in my Nutribullet.

benj005

Well I'm bummed. I brought my Nutribullet from America with the idea that I'd be making my smoothies. I prepared my veggies/fruits as normal and plugged it in. Next, a lot of smoke and sparks shot out from the motor. I think I fried it.

My questions are...

1) Can I purchase a comparable device in Thailand?

2) I'm surprised that this happened. I can charge my laptop, smartphone, etc... Why am I able to plug these items into a Thai socket without issue and not the Nutribullet.

Thanks...

You plugged something which is suppose to run on 110v into a 220v supply didn't you ? silly boy ?

As to question on lap tops and phones these devices will have step downs on them they will take the line voltage down to around 14 volts for a lap top and not sure what it is for a phone 3 - 9 volts

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

You plugged something which is suppose to run on 110v into a 220v supply didn't you ? silly boy ?

Yep. TBH I didn't give it much of a thought. I've plugged in many US items in Thailand before without issues. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

Edited by benj005

I've lived in South Korea for 2 years, and when I was there I only used an adapter for my US electronics.

Like I said before. I've plugged in my electronics without issues here in Thailand.

Edited by benj005

Yep. TBH I didn't give it much of a thought. I've plugged in many US items in Thailand before without issues. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.
But one the ones you did plug didn't require line voltage to operate and had step down transformers (not the movie)

Your veggie blender will a motor in it which runs on 110v directly, no step down, plug this into a 220v supply its going to go bang

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

But one the ones you did plug didn't require line voltage to operate and had step down transformers (not the movie)
Yes. I should have did my research before using it here in Thailand.

I guess I learned the hard way. :(

Don't fret... Just turn on the TV at 4am and buy another one made in China

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No research required look on the data plate on the appliance it will tell you the voltage it runs on

The reason your laptop charger, mobile charger and some other devices work ok, is their design. They are made to adjust to the incoming voltage. Take a look and you should find something like 'input voltage 110v - 250v'.

From a manufacturing perspective it makes life easy. Mobiles and laptops are sold worldwide. Making a one size fits all charger is, overall, the cheapest option.

Some devices are made and marketed specifically in their country of origin. Why bother with the expense of making it worldwide voltage compatible?

Hopefully you realise now that you should always check the label before you plug any device into a foreign mains socket.

Take a look at your flat screen TV. You'll probably find the same '110v - 250v'

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

If no smoke...it could have been just a fuse...but with sparks and smoke I think it is complete gone.....

Go the next bigger Big C they have tons of different blender, maybe not as good as yours but at least cheap.

Why does America insist on being different in every way? Different voltage, spelling, terms, sports etc. They should learn to be more like Australia/Australians. We are loved everywhere.

I've thought the same. We have Honey Boo Boo Child!

The majority of countries worldwide is on 220/230V, 50 Hz.

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Plugin electronics with no problem?

Yes, probably because they have a universal mains adapter that adapts to 100V to 240V.

Lots of "nutribullet" type of machines in Thailand:

http://goo.gl/t13v1r

Click around here:

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-blenders-mixers-grinders/kenwood/

Edited by KhunBENQ

I've often wondered what hurts more, spilling a cup of coffee over a 110V or 220V socket.

I might ask the BIL who doesn't seem to like me that much, to have a go. Not sure where to find a 110 socket though, but can start with the other one for the record.

tongue.png

Why does America insist on being different in every way? Different voltage, spelling, terms, sports etc. They should learn to be more like Australia/Australians. We are loved everywhere.

They drive on the wrong side of the road as well.

I suspect its because they don't want to be seen to do things the same as GB, after all they beat them way back then, 4th of July coming up.

When I lived in Pattaya some time back I had a gent come up to be and ask "Hay buddy do you speak American".

I told him "No but I speak English"

He said "OH" and walked away.

As for Australians, tolerate may be a better word.

Sorry off topic,

Yes plenty of blenders on the market, can even get multiple use things, juicer blender combined.

• Like 2

I lost a Hitachi Magic Wand that way. A couple of my friend were really disappointed.

I just had to Google "Hitachi Magic Wand" didn't I smile.png

That will be lost on many, but Crossy, but I understand.

I'm just not going to introduce MissFarmGirl to one of them.

OH ... an electric toothbrush works just as well ... apparently ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Your veggie blender will a motor in it which runs on 110v directly, no step down, plug this into a 220v supply its going to go bang

I don't think they're transformers. The trouble with transformer based power supplies is that generally they are fixed ratio (as well as heavy). The lighter switched mode power supplies, Not that I know much about it, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

SC

I have one that I got from Tesco very cheap... does the job.

Just rememeber to disconnect the power cable when you wash it.

Thats pretty funny.. all veges ready to go and bang its not 110V.

I don't think they're transformers. The trouble with transformer based power supplies is that generally they are fixed ratio (as well as heavy). The lighter switched mode power supplies, Not that I know much about it, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

SC

I have taken the pinch of salt as suggested SC what are you going on about ? :lol:

Public service anouncement for newbie when bringing equipment to Thailand you have to be careful before plugging it in as all systems and conveniences might not be what they originally appear to be....check before you spend you bullets......

Question, if I brought a window A/C from the states that designed to run on 220/240 volt and 60 cycles, would it last very long?? Years ago I was given converter from an old air force plane. It ran some of the instruments, input 24 vdc, output 120 vac at 400 cycles. Used it at camp site for lighting, never had a problem.