Can anyone explain what is actually meant by a "Visa Run"?

How does it differ from visa exemption? Assuming that I have a visa-on-arrival for 30 days and It's almost used up. What options do I have? Should I do a Visa run across the borders or "go back" to my country and apply for a new visa?

I am getting confused since I came to know about the coming August 12 crackdown. So, can any one explain how can I avoid a visa run if I want to enter Thailand once my visa is used up. I think a run at the borders is no more a viable option.

Or, suppose that my 30 visa is nearing to an end, and in that case, if I travel to Indonesia (Jakarta), stay there for a couple of days, and again re-enter Thailand. Will I get a 30 day visa on arrival?

Joe - what would you call an out-in border crossing if you need to avoid exceeding your leave before date when you have a multi-entry tourist or non-imm O...

I would have called this a "border-run" as per your definition, but do you think this type of crossing is also being "clamped down" on?

It is certainly a "border run", but since it's not a "border run to obtain a further visa exemption" it's not covered by the clampdown, you should have no issues whatever.

• Like 1

It would appear that a visa run, is a concept the immigration authorities came up with, in concert with the government, to stimulate the economy. There is really no other reason to ask someone with a retirement visa, good for one year, to travel to the border every 90 days. And there is really no other reason to ask a tourist, who wants to extend their visa by another month, to travel to the border. It has to be about cash, stimulating the economy in the way of visa fees, mini van travel, etc, etc.

• Like 1

It would appear that a visa run, is a concept the immigration authorities came up with, in concert with the government, to stimulate the economy. There is really no other reason to ask someone with a retirement visa, good for one year, to travel to the border every 90 days. And there is really no other reason to ask a tourist, who wants to extend their visa by another month, to travel to the border. It has to be about cash, stimulating the economy in the way of visa fees, mini van travel, etc, etc.

Hi spidermike007,

A person with a Retirement extension added on to their "O" or "OA" Visa, does not have to do a "Visa Run"

But they have to report to their local Immigration office every 90 days. with a TM 47 form ( filled in ) & all the other required paper work.

If you have a "O, or an OA Visa & you are under 50 years of age, then you have to do a "Visa Run" every 90 days.

Edited by barnsleyman

????

Ummm, did that change recently ? I'm rarely in Thailand long enough to do a normal 90 day report, but I hadn't heard that I need to do a border run every 90 days now. Last I heard, the O-A just required doing the routine report at the local immigration office (proof of address, etc, etc).

Hi Kerryd

I could be wrong about having to do a Visa run with a OA Visa if I am then I apologise.

But I have had a Retirement extension using a Non Imm "O" Visa for 6 years now ( last renewed in May this year ) and as I stated you do not have to do a Visa run, you only have to report to the Immigration every 90 days if you are in Thailand.

If you are out of the country, then the 90 day rule is invalid, but when you come back into Thailand, the 90 day clock starts again the day that you arrive providing your Retirement extension is still valid.

Edited by barnsleyman

????

Ummm, did that change recently ? I'm rarely in Thailand long enough to do a normal 90 day report, but I hadn't heard that I need to do a border run every 90 days now. Last I heard, the O-A just required doing the routine report at the local immigration office (proof of address, etc, etc).

Extension requires 90 days report, visa requires borderrun.

• Like 1

What I have learned is that we should avoid doing "same day out-in border run for visa exempt stamp". I have not seen clear information if it is easy to do "same week out-in" by visiting Cambodia for one week for example? And get another visa exempt stamp and continue holiday in Thailand.

My friends want to come here and visit Thailand, Cambodia ( Sihanoukville ).

No, visa-runs are the result of archaic rules and laws written before jet airliners and massive populations of expats living abroad. It's very possible they never changed to reflect the times in order to stimulate the economy for officials to be able to make money out of what eventually became a cottage industry.

Edited by NomadJoe

What Visa's require 'Visa Runs'

Any visa valid for more than one entry requires a border run to activate the next entry.

For example a Non-B multi-entry is usually valid for 1 year, but each entry only permits a stay of 90 days. So every 90 days or so a border run will net you another 90 day stay until the visa's 'enter before' date (expiry date) is passed.

What Extensions and Visa's require 90 day reporting.

Any extension or visa that allows a stay of more than 90 days. Leaving the country resets the timer.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not visa on arrival.

A visa run can be two different things entirely. A true visa run would be making a trip to an embassy for a visa. The other should be called a border run to obtain a new entry at a border crossing. The back to back borders runs are the primary target of the new rules.

Unless you are from a G7 country you will only get a 15 day exempt entry at a border. You can fly out and back and get 30 days.

It would best if you got a tourist visa before traveling if you plan on staying longer than 30 days. At tourist gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

mind elucidating 'Back to Back', please?

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not visa on arrival.

A visa run can be two different things entirely. A true visa run would be making a trip to an embassy for a visa. The other should be called a border run to obtain a new entry at a border crossing. The back to back borders runs are the primary target of the new rules.

Unless you are from a G7 country you will only get a 15 day exempt entry at a border. You can fly out and back and get 30 days.

It would best if you got a tourist visa before traveling if you plan on staying longer than 30 days. At tourist gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

I think it's relevant that the clarification letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which george posted mentions nothing about land borders vs. flying, and judging by a the comments from TV users who havealready been warned or hassled at the airports, it looks like it will make little to no difference whether you are flying or using a land border.

Based on TV experiences shared in this forum and several I have read on facebook (Phuket Visa Run Ride Share Network) what seems certain to me is visitors will be allowed into Thailand only once visa exempt, whether it's a 15 days at the border, 30 days by air, or whatever your nationality is allowed, then thereafter you need to obtain a visa from a Thai embassy outside of Thailand. An attempt at any variation of this or weird visa combinations followed by a "border bounce" for a visa exempt stamp can only be answered at best with a "maybe."

post-128-0-94644600-1404139832.jpg

To me visa runners means back to back entries.

I can't see them limiting them to one entry period. That would certainly not be workable.

There are many tourists that fly in spend a few days and then cross over to a neighboring country for a few days and return,

I think this announcement is clarifies things better.

visa%20run%20%281%29-page-001.jpg

Unbelievable!

"Visa Run" is not an official term! It is a slang and general term meaning that you will briefly leave the Kingdome of Thailand- that you are going to "run" over to a nearby country where you will be able to complete document and/or fee requirements which allow you to maintain legal status in Thailand.

PS. Hey admin. Didn't you used to select questions that were like fun and interesting- something like that?

What Visa's require 'Visa Runs'

Any visa valid for more than one entry requires a border run to activate the next entry.

For example a Non-B multi-entry is usually valid for 1 year, but each entry only permits a stay of 90 days. So every 90 days or so a border run will net you another 90 day stay until the visa's 'enter before' date (expiry date) is passed.

What Extensions and Visa's require 90 day reporting.

Any extension or visa that allows a stay of more than 90 days. Leaving the country resets the timer.

That is not actually the case. There are classes of retirement visas that only require checking in with immigration every 90 days. Thankful for that.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Look there are knuckleheads who come here abuse the system so if you come here for 30 day stay at the end of 30 days you go. But there are some who come here with plans to stay long time but unable to get proper visa IE: retirement Visa or Business visa They fudge on the rules and do in and out to extend there time here. Guess they like the TAT. Can't fault them but get proper Visa and save us that go by the rules the headache. Then you get the ones who overstay But if your time here expires and your caught you get deported and maybe blacklisted so get correct visa.