international border crossings with a motorbike

Hello folks. I plan on making a trip beginning in Hanoi, crossing over into northern Laos not too far from Diem Ben Phu, working my way across and down to Vientiane, then south on the 2 to Bangkok and east to Phnom Penh before spending a few days in s.e. Cambodia and crossing back into VN near Tay Ninh and cruising to Saigon, and hopping the train back to Hanoi.this is something of a symbolic journey for me, & I spent quite a bit of time alone on motorbikes in Southeast Asia. My question is how are the border crossings these days? Last time I was in Vietnam was 2008. My understanding is things are much different at this point.I hear for example the border between Taemin and southern Cambodia is now officially open to all international traffic. Is this true? Also, am I going to run into any trouble with local authorities over moto license issues? Or is this going to be 1 of those areas where a savvy traveler may carry a few extra bills to deal with any contingencies?advice of any kind would be wonderful thank you so much. I will be traveling in September for basically 1 month.

Can't help you with the logistics, but not long ago a friend of mine spent quite a bit of time in Cambodia helping out his mate who was run over by a truck while riding in S. Cambodia. Really messed up and huge hospital bills. Make sure your insurance is up to snuff. September is also the heavy monsoons.

I think this is best over in the bike forum. Topic moved, but a link will be left here in the Travel forum.

ur on a Vietnamese bike? no trouble for laos, thailand,Cambodia

for Laos an Thailand you will be required to purchase insurance

you will also need your Vietnamese license an the bike needs be in ur name

go check out the gt riders forum

thanks for the info fellows. my experience in Vietnam is that no one really gives a s*** whether you have a license or not. Essentially the advice every friend has ever given me has been to speak English very quickly if I ever get pulled over in the countryside and I have been all over but I'm just worried about crossing over on the borders. it seems like it might be more of this you when you're dealing with two countries rather than just one because that license in Vietnam in my experience isn't really necessary.I'm just wondering if I'm going to need to figure out some way to rent a moto every time I cross a border which will be probably 3 or 4 times. & I really don't want to.

Most insurance policies are null and void if you don't have proper registration/permits. Sooooo many stories of expats here in scooter accidents stuck with huge bills. Although it is illegal, they will hold your passport until you pay off the bill. 1-2 million Baht is not unusual.

I've heard of people buying a moto for a month or two and then unloading it before leaving the country.I have a few people that might be able to sell it for me if I can't unload it before I leave as well.

that is exactly what people do.

they buy a bike in Vietnam, travel all over SEA and turn back to Vietnam and sell it.