Be careful when getting Kasikorn bank debit card.

Hi, last August I went to Kasikorn bank to open an account and to get a corresponding debit card. Now, I'm not a particularly gullible person, so I when in to the bank I was determined to get a savings account with a simple no frills ATM card. Easy right, well apparently not. I remember asking the bank clerk at least twice what the fees and charges were for this particular debit card he was suggesting, both times he replied that there weren't any fees. I was a happy camper until just recently, nearly a year later, when I discovered that there is an 800 baht annual fee attached to the card. I was pretty upset! The clerk spoke English, there was no communication problem yet he lied to me twice.

So I thought I'd post this for it might prove to be educational to other westerners applying for debit cards with kasikorn bank. Remember there are cheaper debit cards available at kasikornbank, for a 200 baht annual fee, which will give you all the basic services. More importantly maybe, is do your homework before going to this bank, because they were not honest with me and probably won't be to you, either. Good luck!

Many kasikorn bank branches are forcing foreigners to open accounts with accident insurance. if you ask about the cheaper no frills atm card, they will lie to you and say there are no more cards available. Even though i think the cards are the same, and the extra 600 baht is for the insurance. you could try cancelling the insurance cover.

Yes opened my account last month and was conned too. He told me that I had to pay for the card, a platinum one with visa access, and that all banks had the same charges. Without a work permit I also had to buy one year's insurance for 2,500baht. I feel violated.

I was in Pattaya a week or so ago and went into the Kasikorn branch on Pattaya Klang and was told the same thing, ie you have to pay 2500bt for accident insurance when you open bank account. Member of staff said all banks oblige new account holders to take out this insurance. Is this the case? Do any board members know what the arrangements/rules are with other banks with respect to this insurance when opening a bank account? Is this insurance worth having and does it do what it says on the tin? Also (apologies for the questions, as I am planning to spend a year in thailand later this year and this is my first post on this forum) do folk have any recommendations on a good bank with nationwide coverage. I plan to spend most of my time in Hua Hin and Pattaya. In anticipation many thanks

Good advice from "The Old Git". I am tired of smiling, bowing, and being led around like a sheep when I know I'm being fed a load of bull from a Thai business. The staff will lie to your face, and try to sell you everything from insurance policies to CDs of the King's music.

Arm yourself with the facts, and don't let them push you around.

Over the last few months I've seen quite a few ThaiVisa posts telling how Kbank is apparently doing a hard-sell on its debit cards that come with insurance. And their hard-sell approach seems to be either you as a farang "must" get this particular debit card with insurance or they are all out of their regular/no insurance debit cards that go for only around Bt200/year. But you'll also see in some of the threads where folks stood-up to the bank's BS and got a regular card when the dust settled.

• Like 1

Kasikorn does have a tendency of somewhat overcharge and introduce fees.

My card of 6 years fell apart, just old. Got charged 300 baht just to have a new card, which was bearable but the new card is hello kitty pink.

Not exactly the most pleasant experience when 100kg foreigner pulls out hello kitty pink card, honestly have not had a shop where they did not crack up laughing seeing me and the card

There is no requirement to take out an all singing all dancing debit card, chances are you would never be able to claim on any insurance anyway.

The standard card costs 100 Baht with a yearly fee of 200 Baht, and is detailed here Debit.

The staff at the bank get a commission when they sell one of these cards, so they will do anything to get you to take one.

I opened an account with Kasikorn recently, I was advised that they had none of the bog standard cards in stock, I advised them that I would come back when they had some in stock further advising them that I would call their HQ and ask when this particular branch would have some in stock, they managed to find one.

Consider yourself lucky.

I went to open foreign currency account with initial deposit of 6 figures in $ and was treated like a street dog.

Made a complaint to HQ , 7 months later still waiting for a follow up .

Keep in mind 6 figures in $ not Thai baht.

Moved all major accounts to krungsi , and not even 1 call to ask why I moved all my money

Yes opened my account last month and was conned too. He told me that I had to pay for the card, a platinum one with visa access, and that all banks had the same charges. Without a work permit I also had to buy one year's insurance for 2,500baht. I feel violated.

What w00t.gif No lubricant to sooth the ache cheesy.gif

My card of 6 years fell apart, just old. Got charged 300 baht just to have a new card, which was bearable but the new card is hello kitty pink.

Not exactly the most pleasant experience when 100kg foreigner pulls out hello kitty pink card, honestly have not had a shop where they did not crack up laughing seeing me and the card

Yes, that would be annoying - having a debitcard more pinker than your avatar

• Haha 1

My daughter needed to open an account at Kasikorn Bank in Meechok Plaza, Chiang Mai,

so she could have her wages from her new job to be paid into that Bank.seems simple enough.

So she went to the Bank,with cash and all her documents to open the account,she just wanted

a simple savings account,no debit,credit,ATM cards,as she already has those from other banks,

she was told she WOULD HAVE to open an account,WITH ATM card,or one with insurance ATM ?,

at 600 bht,the person she was talking too said they have no ordinary accounts left !!,so today she

will have to try and find another branch of Kasikorn that will open the account she wants.

She also said there are a lot of Thai people complaining about having to open accounts they do not

want at that bank, on social networks, The days of trusting banks is long gone I think,gouging you as

much as they can seems to be their policy now, bht 130 to change a travelers cheque ,use an ATM,

is an example,as they also earn from the currency exchange rate.

regards Worgeordie

the only good thing we found with kasikorn: was their 2nd to best Cash Exchange Rates amongst the Banks, but still behind the dreaded Western Union.

Well, that was Pattaya anyhow.

But did the same in SriRacha too!

Limit exposure to Kasikorn: - walk in - give cash - take cash -, run....

I bet not as annoying as having bad glasseslaugh.png ,

I bet not as annoying as having bad glasseslaugh.png ,

Thanks for the "Heads Up" thumbsup.gif

Note to self,

Arrange Eye Test,

Colour grey looks pinksad.png

wai.gif

jeez - I must be wearing pink rose petal tinted specs, cos my LCD still shows your avatar as pink?

well F.M.D I guess it must be time for a new screen

No, no need to buy a new screen....it's definitely pink or lavender.

• Like 1

jeez - I must be wearing pink rose petal tinted specs, cos my LCD still shows your avatar as pink?

May be a colorblind test is also in orderthumbsup.gif

Pink https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=0pC-U8yyAYSIuATbnYKwCg#q=pink+color

Grey https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=0pC-U8yyAYSIuATbnYKwCg#q=grey+color

Lavender grey may be, but certainly not pink

In case you confused about colors, lavender is a pale tint of violet

Lavender blush is a pale pinkish tone

Whatever....it ain't grey.

• Like 1

Whatever....it ain't grey.

It ain't Lavender or Pinkblink.png

I went to get replacement K-bank card and they tried to foist the 1000 baht platinum scam on me. I asked if any yearly charges ... oh yes, 800/year. When I insisted on plain white the clerk said "no hab". Left him there, went to another branch, while waiting for my turn saw the manager come by, asked him if they had the white card. Yes, we have. When got to the clerk she tried the Platinum scam and claimed "no hab" white cards. I told her about the manager talk, she went in the back and came out with the white card. Key point is not to get angry, just smile and outplay the little rats.

Pink, on a very color-tuned Dell WQHD, 2560 x 1440 U2713H.

I went to get replacement K-bank card and they tried to foist the 1000 baht platinum scam on me. I asked if any yearly charges ... oh yes, 800/year. When I insisted on plain white the clerk said "no hab". Left him there, went to another branch, while waiting for my turn saw the manager come by, asked him if they had the white card. Yes, we have. When got to the clerk she tried the Platinum scam and claimed "no hab" white cards. I told her about the manager talk, she went in the back and came out with the white card. Key point is not to get angry, just smile and outplay the little rats.

Pink, on a very color-tuned Dell WQHD, 2560 x 1440 U2713H.

And if that doesn't work...GIVE EM' HELL!

post-93392-0-56404600-1405056838_thumb.j