simple pull-cord switch ?

jobin

When i turn on the bathroom light the noisy fan also goes on. I disconnected the fan. Now i bought a simple pull switch which i want to install between the main and the fan. Turn on the bathroom, lights on, pull cord, fan on too. Later, pull cord, fan off, light remains on.

The fan has two wires in, had been connected to two wires from the main. The switch has 3 wires, red ( #1), black (2), and blue (3). So my question, obviously, is how to deal with these wires. My (semi ignorant) idea is that the neutral wire from the main connects directly to the fan neutral wire, no switch involved here. Also one of the 3 switch wires is the earth, not used here. And finally the hot main connects with the switch and also the fan hot wire connects with the switch. But 'who is who' on the switch wires?

kaap? new in T'land

Sure Crossy will along in a moment smile.png

Sounds like you may have a double pole switch. Both neutral and live are switched on/of.

The third wire in the switch could be for 3way switch system.

Difficult to be certain without seeing the switch.

Just read your post again and see that one of the wires an earth. So you only have two wires to worry about.

So I would say live in and live out to the fan.

If you take the feed for the pull switch from the light, the fan will only be on when the light is on, though still controlled by the pull switch.

biggrin.png

Edited by Daffy D

The fact that the switch has 3 wires might be planning for what you are wanting. ??? If all 3 wires are connected to the switch, you could experiment to find which one controls the light vs. the fan. If that's the case, you could simply add another switch and separate the two. Try that first and let us know.

I'm not being clear enough. The wall switch turns on all the bathroom, both the lamp and the fan. The fan was an afterthought, crude wires behind the wall extending out to the fan. I disconnected those wires to the fan. The wall switch, outside the room. still operates the lamp, and of course, the current towards the fan.

I want to connect my pull switch to operate the fan, but only when the lamp is also on, since only then is current flowing to the bathroom.

Oops, i see a mistake. On the switch, the black wire is L, the red wire is 1, and the blue is 2. Not meaningful yet to me. Will Google.

Sounds like you might have picked up a three speed ceiling fan control switch. Pull it once, connects L to 1, pull it twice, connects L to 2, pull it three times, connnects L to both 1 and 2, pull it the forth time, iit turns off.

Checking continuity with a simple multimeter would tell you. Put one lead on L and check the continuity to the other leads as you pull the switch. You could use it but might have to pull it 4 times to turn the fan on and off.

Good point there Wayned. I could check it now if had a meter. Might continue to seek exactly the switch i do want. Really want a ceiling lamp pull cord switch. I never considered other pull switches on the market. My errors for sure.

Most ceiling fans with lights also hae a single pole on/off switch to turn the light on and off, youmuight have just picked up the wrong one. They should be available at any electric supply shop or where you bought the other switch. If you don't speak Thai draw a piicture of what you want!

On the switch, the black wire is L, the red wire is 1, and the blue is 2. Not meaningful yet to me.

Presuming this is the pull cord switch, and not the light switch, it could be a 2 way switch:-

post-35075-0-37385500-1404960666_thumb.j

In which case if the black is live you only need to use the red or the blue.

Get the live feed for the pull cord switch from the switched side of the wall switch or directly from the light fitting then the fan will only ever be on when the light is on.

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=oss&r=t&searchTerm=pull+cord+switches&x=18&y=15

smile.png

Where's Crossy w00t.gif

Edited by Daffy D

He's here :)

OK, we don't really know what the existing wiring is like, there shouldn't be three wires on the light switch unless it's two-way (three way for the Americans).

So, since the light works OK.

I would take the fan feed off the light fitting via the pull switch (assuming it's the right type, pull-on pull-off) to the fan. Insulate the ends of the existing fan wiring and forget it.

Fan only works with the light, but can be turned off.

I really believe he has taken care of the wire portion - removed from light switch and run directly to mains as he stated - he just want an on/off switch for the fan rather than a wall switch (which if in non water area might be easier to find). But he now has the normal fan switch designed for off - on out - on in - off control. So if he uses that will be an extra pull each time to cycle but that is normally what is used with a pull switch controlled fan so not a bit issue for most. So hot (L) from mains is attached to that pin and to fan from either pin 1 or 2 and neutral (N) is connected directly to fan with connector. Better would be a single action switch but that might not be easily available or require special mounting.

Simple photos would be very helpful if any doubts.

Well OP, the mystery might remain as to what was destined in your wall switch. Obviously, that is a (I'll use Brit terms) 2-way switch. If you don't have another 2-way switch to turn things on/off then the question would be why did they do that? Since your bath light works on/off from that switch, it would be interesting to know where those wires are going from the switch. IE: if you look at the wires going to the light (do you know how to do that?) is there one wire that is not connected? Where I'm going is that there might be a simple solution to put the fan/light on separate switch.

For the posters that are imagining what his pull chain switch might be - I don't think he's even got that into the mix yet. So, just do what Crossy said or find out what those 3 wires are going to.

Until further notice i have abandoned the said switch, what ever it was/is. I will continue to look for , via diagram, in local electrical shops, just what i want. Maybe even today. I will only accept a switch with 2 wires, or 2 wires and an obvious green/yellow earth wire.

I paid only 160TB for the switch and if the new one is the same cost, or less, and all works out OK, a cheap enough education.

I brought corded bathroom light/fan switches from the UK (since they are designed for that) as I never did find a suitable local equivalent.

Has the OP even bought a meter yet?

...but I'll drop by tomorrow for the next thrilling installment.

Edited by NanLaew

Understand that is a requirement in UK (pull cords in bath)? My last purchase from UK was a high amperage in-line switch (as everything sold here is just for lights - low amperage) to use on water hot pot that did not have on/off switch. Worked well for year or so but did get warm and then melted. Seemed as if well made but can not find any on Ebay UK now so suspect may not have been a good as it looked. Was quite expensive as I recall.

If in dry area - as in our childrens bath - just put an extra surface wall switch next to fan (in back of toilet) to be able to turn off when want to do so (but allow main light switch to normally control it.

Got a pull switch, just what i wanted. Of course, the story is not yet over as the fitting accepts only ordinary light bulbs. I asked at the shop for a screw-in adapter to accommodate a two prong male plug. NO, never heard of it.

So has anyone seen such an adapter< http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-00509-Outlet-Screw-Adapter/dp/B005SKPTWG> in T'land? If yes, i will continue to search. But if no, then ??

I agree, why is it needed. I can only assume that he has found a simple on/off light switch and wants to wire it in and plug the fan into it. I've bought numerous single pole on/off pull chain switches for my ceiling fans at home pro and they should be available. They are usually in the ceiling fan department but not in open display in boxes along with the capacitors and fan switches.

Previously various bayonet-cap bakelite lighting adaptors and pull-cord single to double lighting adaptors used to be available.

They have been banned in many countries as all sorts of appliances were then used to overload a single light fitting.

Seems like they are still around : http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1406-Outlet-Socket-Adapter/dp/B0015SHT3W/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Edited by thomasteve

That's the sort of arrangement i anticipated. I'm ready to go with my devices, which will be functional and safe (relatively) and hope to get installed before the weekend. The only tool i have is the Leatherman.

• 3 months later...

I am quite familiar with the devices that you just showed. The lampholder adapter with two side outlets and a pull-chain is just for ading additional outlets. the pullchain just controls the bulb.

These items are common in every discount and hardware store in the USA.

These items are common in every discount and hardware store in the USA.

Incredibly, this site is called ThaiVisa.com, not US-Visa.com, we 'ain't not in the good ole US of A, it's a tad too far to nip to Walmart.

Figure out how you're going to charge users for that wireless power, yet, Mr. Tesla? wink.png

It's called information and since they are so ubiquitous here, it means I'm well versed in these things because I've had to use them so much - it would be a waste of the original poster's money to buy one of these things thinking the pull-chain controls the two side outlets in addition to the bulb holder.

Read the whole post instead of picking out one line.

Edited by stephanienyc