Is Thai Food Actually Healthy?

megaworldasia

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coconut milk used in curries is fattening.

Mai sai mai aroi, yes we know its fattening, thats why we exercise.

I can't see how something which "ped mak maak" can actually be good for your insides?

Agree 101%, they make it hot to disguise the cheap meat used.

That said try kua kling from the south, southern Thai food, the best food in Thailand.

with the rice, for just 39 baht.

<deleted>, do you really expect haute cuisine and the best of ingredients for 39 baht?

The bog standard English breakfast, being served up in most pubs
throughout the kingdom, should be renamed "the artery clogger."

Thats why some of us excercise, try working all day on a building site with a poxy yoghurt for breakfast.

Black pudding, lovely, crispy bacon, lovely, fried eggs, lovely, the breakfast of champions, washed down with a decent cuppa tea, two sugars please.

• Like 2

I can't see how something which "ped mak maak" can actually be good for your insides?

That said try kua kling from the south, southern Thai food, the best food in Thailand.

<deleted>, do you really expect haute cuisine and the best of ingredients for 39 baht?

Thats why some of us excercise, try working all day on a building site with a poxy yoghurt for breakfast.

Black pudding, lovely, crispy bacon, lovely, fried eggs, lovely, the breakfast of champions, washed down with a decent cuppa tea, two sugars please.

Add the fried mushrooms, baked beans ( for the protein ) maybe even a sausage ( beef of course ) a fried tomato, black pudding has to be fried until crispy by the way and you don't need to eat until late in the day even after your one hour walk with the dog.

By the way this is not a sarcastic reply, I mean itbiggrin.png

I don't know of any farang that work on building sites in Thailand. I guess you are probably talking about your life in the UK? Fair point about the heavy fat/protein breakfast in cold weather. I'd rather knock back a protein shake with avocado, banana, protein powder and rolled oats and follow it up with a couple of salmon steaks if I wanted more protein. Each to their own I guess but at 57 I don't figure your lovely English breakfast is going to do me much good in Thailand's hot climate. Yeah, I know what you mean about the exercise. That's why I do a kilometer in the roof top pool every morning. Southern Thai food? I'll give it a go. Cheers.

everything in moderation of course,

I think as long as you exercise, not go into repetitive daily calorie surplus and vary your dishes (meats, seafood, fish, veggies,fruits, rice) you should be okay.

• Like 1

I think the most exercise the majority of TV posters get is keyboard marathons...............smile.png

That said, most of the school kids now-a-days are the same, with gaming taking over the exercise they need. This is a global problem, not just Asian.

So no, considering the life styles that have developed, it can't be healthy for the idle.

• Like 1

Instant noodles contain a wax coating which is also used in the styrofoam containers. That is why instant noodles don't stick together when cooking. Our body needs up to two days to clean the wax. Makes sure you stop eating a pack of noodles for at least three days after. This wax can cause cancer. Thais usually eat this stuff at least once a day...

3560010538.jpg

• Like 1

I am now sure that Thai food sold at most of the place is unhealthy because too fat and anyway ALL thai sauces are full of shxt + salt.

The only healthy food anywhere in the world is boiled food and not so much of Thai food is just boiled.

I was used to eat any food even in the street but I quit after thinking twice about this unhealthy food.

Judging by the performance of my bowels, Thai street food is dubious at best - keeps me regular though! Constipation is the rarest known gastrointestinal problem in the kingdom. I don't think a Thai would even understand the concept.

The leading cause of death among Thais is heart disease for which smoking, diet and lack of exercise are probably mostly responsible. The unhealthy aspects of the food are: pervasiveness of deep frying, too much meat, use of unhealthy fats like coconut, sweet desserts, and additives like MSG. If you make the food at home and avoid these items, it could be healthy.

I think the noodles at the road side stalls are healthier than the 'on-rice' meals like krapow etc. that are cooked in palm oil.

Som tam/ yam is actually pretty healthy, as long as you use less palm sugar.

One alternative is to cook at home, where you have complete control of the ingredients.

If I make Thai food at home, which I do sometimes, I use rice bran oil, much healthier.

That, and I use sea salt & oyster sauce for seasoning.

The oldest woman in Siam serves insects nearby aged 11 I believe

So everyone born before 2345 has croaked and you can be sure they didnt have falang nourishment like Belgian waffle or Johnny <deleted> to help them survive.

I feel the lesson is that we all die relative speed and pain is merit controlled according to local opinion,I am of the opinion that no amount of blessed flas obscuring the windscreen will help when the redbull driver hits you in something more pressing.

Have a rice day

• Like 2

Instant noodles contain a wax coating which is also used in the styrofoam containers. That is why instant noodles don't stick together when cooking. Our body needs up to two days to clean the wax. Makes sure you stop eating a pack of noodles for at least three days after. This wax can cause cancer. Thais usually eat this stuff at least once a day...

Really? Is it parafin wax? Same used in baking. Ughh. I've heard Asians have a high level of stomach cancer caused by too much chilli. Too much coconut milk is bad. Msg is bad. Least if your wife cooks you know what Thai food your eating. I'm sure lots of you full time expats eat out way to much huh?

The OP wrote that white rice has no nutritional value. How can that be true? It provide calories needed by your body. Healthy eating is not about the food - but the portions that you take. But it seems the OP would rather have a Big Mac with a Big Gulp.

Before Starbucks, Big Macs, Pizzas and other western food were introduced in Thailand, obesity rates among Thais were low. Twenty years ago, I estimated there were two to three kids out of a hundred that was overweight. Today, that figure is around 30 out of a hundred (just my estimate by the way).

The kind of food available to kids have changed. Before it was Papaya pokpok and Larb. Now its deep fried processed S!@#$T dipped in batter, crepe, fries and other western-influenced snacks. Kids just love it! They they leave school and hit the video games shop. Hmmmmm....

Your a funny guy, Thais don't need Western influences to become fat look at all the deep fried food and other sugary stuff allover the place you won't find that at home. Though I agree that those bad fast food places aren't helping much

Thai food like western food can be healthy as long as you cook it yourself, problem with most cheap thai food is that they re use oils use the cheapest ingredients loads of msg and sugar. White rice indeed is not good at all brown rice is much better, white rice is just empty calories. Western food can be quite healthy if you know what to eat. I gained weight on Thai food and lost 25 kg with exercise and western food (good foods and on a caloric deficit).

All countries have good and bad food but in general if it taste to nice its bad.

• Like 1

Really? Is it parafin wax? Same used in baking. Ughh. I've heard Asians have a high level of stomach cancer caused by too much chilli. Too much coconut milk is bad. Msg is bad. Least if your wife cooks you know what Thai food your eating. I'm sure lots of you full time expats eat out way to much huh?

No I don't because I know what is healthy and what is not, i gained a lot of weight when i came here just by eating Thai foods at street places. It was so cheap.. it was so easy.. and it was so BAD for my health.

Lost now 25 kg.. on exercise and western food.. though i would not count meat a western food.. but mainly meat .. veggies .. fruits.. and low in carbs (so no rice or bread) mostly oatmeal for breakfast.. haven't seen a thai breakfast that can compete with that (if you add some extra protein)

• Like 1