Street vendors at Bangkok's Chatuchak and Ratchadamnoen areas to be moved out

webfact

The street vendors are something that many tourists seem to love. On one hand the nation is pleading, rather unsuccessfully to date, with tourists to come back, and on the other they're removing the sorts of things that make Bangkok so attractive to a large percentage of those that do come here.

Tourist don't really come here for crappy market stalls, and even so there will still be plenty left

Actually, a lot do come for the crap stalls and knock of crap.

Then they are not the sort Thailand wants to be encouraging are they. Who really flies halfway around the world to buy a fake bag or football shirt?

And then stay on never ending tourist or ED visas

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the correct move to relocate the venders. The problem is they are interfering with public transportation. If you look at this area you have a high volume of city busses, a BTS station and two MRT stations.

Yes they are.. but they want to be there because of the high volume of people.

But I agree with moving them as traffic is hell in BKK and causes far more problems as removing some vendors.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hopefully, they'll start clearing out all the vendors on lower Suk. What a mess...

In Silom, Siam and JJs as well!

And Ramkamhaeng Road.

• Like 1

I lived in Paris for 25 years and saw the few 'free-lance' street vendors there gradually disappear, to be 'replaced' by various City Hall-controlled temporary events such as 'Christmas markets' or 'neigborhood junksales', which are usually fun and authentic the first 2 times and then taken over by bigger guys (disguised as smaller guys of course) who know how to use the existing laws to sell their Made in China crap.

I distinctly remember, on my first trip to Asia (Indonesia-1982), being totally astounded by the millions of street vendors there, and realizing that in our beautiful Euro capitals we had slowly but surely got rid of all that 'messy' stuff, always in the name of beauty of course, 'protecting the patrimony' (especially in Paris) and also health issues. How sincere was that, and what was the real agenda ?

Anyway, now it's done, our cities look impeccable... and sterilized.

It also raises a social issue : here people can start a business starting from almost nothing, such as a good recipe for 'noodle soup moo deng', a lot of courage, time, luck and good humor, but in Europe now it seems that most young people would rather work in some big corporation or civil service, because starting your own business is such a headache and an obstacle course that it's totally discouraging. I can't help but think about George Orwell and his 1984...

To all the Westerners living here and constantly advocating 'western-like' practices (especially here this forum), I ask : what brought you here ? are you sure that you can have your cake (or your papaya pok pok) and eat it ?

The lack of respect for regulations in Thailand sometimes drives me nuts too, I admit it of course, but at the same time, when I see how Thais resist (for example) the obligation of wearing a helmet on their motorbikes, no matter how often they get caught and have to pay the 200 fine, there's a part of me that has to laugh and say 'Hey, that's what I like about this country!!'

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

I love Thailand, because I can be Thai, or I can be that stupid Farang, and as long as I am friendly, and kind and approachable I

Have you looked in a mirror lately?

Only people with Thai blood are Thai. That leaves out 99.999% of visitors/expats here.

That one is a bit "iffy" My FIL came from China as a baby, died recently in his 70's but believe it or not. He was a Thai land owner and businessman.

The street vendors are something that many tourists seem to love. On one hand the nation is pleading, rather unsuccessfully to date, with tourists to come back, and on the other they're removing the sorts of things that make Bangkok so attractive to a large percentage of those that do come here.

It is a challenge to reach a balance between small business enterprises and public health & safety. When pedestrians are forced to walk in the streets because the sidewalks are blocked by the overwhelming numbers of vendors, then hard decisions must be made.

Street vendors are found in other countries where they are organized and accessible. Singapore and Hong Kong are two examples. There seems to be plenty of tourists in both locations.

I enjoy the diversity of the street vendors, but I find navigating around them difficult at times. Vendors use storm drains for garbage dumps which in turn invites rodents and other pests. This is not just a Bangkok problem.

• Like 1

Tourist don't really come here for crappy market stalls, and even so there will still be plenty left

Actually that street is the best place to buy Buddhas.

I agree...street vendors are a part of the culture and a definite attraction here..not just in tourist areas, but everywhere in Thailand and provide a huge number of people with a way to make a living.

Chinatown has been a maze of crowded sidewalks since long before Bangkok became a tourist destination.

About 6 or 7 years ago,an attempt was made to delineate table areas along lower Sukhumvit; lines were drawn and spaces allocated. Unfortunately, enforcement was non-existent and it soon returned to the chaos it is today.

Do you really want Bangkok to be like Singapore? Yes; clean and easy to navigate sidewalks but also sterile and boring. I hope a happy medium can be found.

Around that same time when Bangkok was trying to project the image that it was just as clean and efficient as Singapore, that island city was running a campaign promoting its nightlife and convince tourists that it was just as interesting and fun as Bangkok.

coffee1.gif

Singapore in the 50's was an exciting place to be, but now despite being super clean, it is also super expensive and really very artificial. Bangkok might be grubby, but its the atmosphere that attracts the tourists to a thriving, noisey, busy asian metropilis. Please do not let it go like Singapore.

• Like 1

My God...it's the end of the World!!

First no booze for 48 hours.....now we are going to starve!!!

From the large waistlines one sees, perhaps a bit of fasting is not a bad idea. As for the booze, if one can't abstain from drink for 48 hours, perhaps time is not on one's side.

One Day At A Time.

This is a truism. Hell, I'm still pissed about the elephants being outlawed. The charm of Thailand is being pecked away little by little. So, enjoy while you can. oc

Let's hope that they include Sukhumvit and especially the Asoke intersection. At night the Asoke intersection becomes a vile cess pit. And I hope they do it SOON.

If its so damned terrible, why do you go there ? w00t.gif

Do you really want Bangkok to be like Singapore?

er yes it's clean, safe and has very little corruption. I don't find the blocking of pavements with sometimes dangerous stalls (food cookers) at all attractive. large amounts of the crap on sale is illegal copies which does Thailand reputation no good at all. Get rid of all the stalls selling fakes and the problem of too many sellers would probably to solved. If tourists are that interested there are plenty of markets off the road.

And it is 3x the price in almost every aspect, difficult to have good fun on a night out due to heavy rules and penalties, and you never get a smile until you pay.

I love Thailand, because I can be Thai, or I can be that stupid Farang, and as long as I am friendly, and kind and approachable I will always get a smile even if I am not paying for a Taxi ride, hand bag for my lady, or a pair of shoes. And yes, even from those Suk street vendors. For those of you about to criticize me for saying I can be Thai, if you really understand the culture you understand that it is the soul and not the skin color which allows you to become a part tuk tee, tuk khon, tuk waan (everywhere, everyone, every time).

The system needs to be better regulated, with small payments given in exchange for permits to occupy, and that money used to maintain the pavement and Police the tourist areas of beggars, pickpockets, ladyboys and fake Police officers/Security staff.

There is an avenue for improvement, but keeping the integrity of that special side of the Kingdom is much more important to me and according to other posters them also.

tuk krang - every time.....mai chai tuk wan (every day) wai.gif

Wish i was clever and could speak Thai. But i would'nt do it on an English speaking site, i would choose to "show off" in a Thai one. bah.gif

I agree...street vendors are a part of the culture and a definite attraction here..not just in tourist areas, but everywhere in Thailand and provide a huge number of people with a way to make a living.

Chinatown has been a maze of crowded sidewalks since long before Bangkok became a tourist destination.

About 6 or 7 years ago,an attempt was made to delineate table areas along lower Sukhumvit; lines were drawn and spaces allocated. Unfortunately, enforcement was non-existent and it soon returned to the chaos it is today.

Do you really want Bangkok to be like Singapore? Yes; clean and easy to navigate sidewalks but also sterile and boring. I hope a happy medium can be found.

Around that same time when Bangkok was trying to project the image that it was just as clean and efficient as Singapore, that island city was running a campaign promoting its nightlife and convince tourists that it was just as interesting and fun as Bangkok.

coffee1.gif

Singapore in the 50's was an exciting place to be, but now despite being super clean, it is also super expensive and really very artificial. Bangkok might be grubby, but its the atmosphere that attracts the tourists to a thriving, noisey, busy asian metropilis. Please do not let it go like Singapore.

Please Google "Singapore River Pollution and Corruption in 1960s and 1970s". All was not well in Singapore back then and similar challenges face Bangkok and Thailand today.

A similar approach might not be such a bad thing? ;)

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

they need to eradicate all the dildo and sex aid vendors all over town ,esp where families walk around .what an appalling site in full display of passers by .in Silom road and sukhumvit road especially.its just not on to display these rubber todgers in the street on stalls.

a cleanup is good as the place has gotten chaotic all over town on sidewalks blocked with stalls and junk and food vendors .

Now if they were giving live demonstrations, i could understand your distress ! thumbsup.gif

The dilemma is that Bangkokians want a better life and more money even if it means life without tourists who want a cheap night out...

hahahaha, looking along the front row they all have the start of the policemans pot belly from lack of work and lots of drinking, maybe they can now tighten them back up a bit by walking and actually doing something other than sitting in air conditioned offices and drinking/eating.

OMG! So that's what is causing it. I thought it had something to do with not enough sex. I will have to change my habits i suppose.

Actually that street is the best place to buy Buddhas.

And, what other country in the world, can you get real Amulets that actually work.

• Like 1

I agree the street vendors are one of the experiences that make Thailand unique.

This is a truism. Hell, I'm still pissed about the elephants being outlawed. The charm of Thailand is being pecked away little by little. So, enjoy while you can. oc

Forcing Elephants to tramp around the city streets was not 'charm' it was animal abuse. I applaud this and the other efforts being made to drag Thailand from being a third world corrupt micky mouse land full of scams into the 21st century. Hopefully soon visitors will not get ripped off as soon as they get off the plane, will not be able to buy crappy fakes and illegal copy drugs at street stalls, will be able to ride on safe trains and buses and stay at hotels where there will not be a cover up if the get killed by pesticide sprays. When at the beach they should no longer get scammed by the ski thieves in collusion with the police and be able to visit beaches not covered from end to end with crappy illegal constructions made of wood and straw. The junta has done more to improve Thailand so far than the politicians have done in the last 15 years. Personally i'd like to see the eventual eroding of the sex industry as well, they have done it in other countries and it can be done here.

• Like 1

Hopefully, they'll start clearing out all the vendors on lower Suk. What a mess...

It's a mess indeed but Surhumain without vendors is really very boring. Have a look on Mondays....

Better to clearly allocate the exact space and fine them a fortune for trespassing out of their designated area, even for an inch...

• Like 1

It would be much easier to have the police go around picking up rubbish, rounding up strays mongrels and hosing down filthy gutters and sewers

and scrubbing dirty concrete walls and removing graffiti. That would be a good start.

Maybe hand them some buckets of paint and some brushes to, in order to bring a bit of color to the grey, insipid cityscape.

Talk about making a city more appealing with solutions like the OP. Sheesh. what a bunch of maroons.

+1 On Lower Sukumvit I usually walked on the street to avoid the single file side walk "gauntlet."

During the day the vendors sell tacky trinkets, ED drugs. mace and brass knuckles. At night the Nigerian drug dealers infest the area, also cluttered with after hour beer bars.

Decent Thais must surely shutter during early morning commutes to work as they observe drunken tourists/expats brawling with ladyboys...

Lancelot agree with you on this one - I also normally always walk on the road also - but I know the stalls are there when I spill dinner on my shirt, need shorts to wear when I swim, or have a craving for som tam (yes, it is something special to me and great for my body).

I would really love to see them put a "stall free" zone behind the stalls on the road (fenced off if necessary from traffic) where people can walk free of pickpockets, beggars and be able to flag down taxis after an blast of a night out. It is about compromise, don't you think?

The area you are referring to is called a "sidewalk". Some cities keep these "zones" clear of all the hazards you mention. You should check one out some time. They are great.

• Like 1

I hope you come back in your next life as an elephant being forced to walk up and down a paved road breathing in pollution all day. We will both be happy then chai mai??