Junta Leader Advises Thais Not To Be 'Slaves of Alcohol'

Lite Beer

Junta Leader Advises Thais Not To Be 'Slaves of Alcohol'

By Khaosod Eng.

14051714201405171504l.jpg

BANGKOK — The leader of Thailand’s military junta, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, has presented the public with a new slogan for this year's no-alcohol day.

"Develop Citizens to the Future, Stop Being Slaves of Alcohol," Gen. Prayuth has advised the public, according to official reports.

Thai authorities designated the first day of Buddhist Lent as the "national no-alcohol day" in an effort to educate citizens about the hazards of alcohol.

Alcoholic beverages also cause disputes and assaults, said Narong Sahamethawat, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Public Health.

"We would like to invite the public and Thai youths not to support the businesses of intoxicating beverages, and refrain from drinking any type of alcohol during important Buddhist holidays," Mr. Narong said.

Consumption of alcohol is banned under the Fifth Precept of Buddhism. To observe the religious dogma, Thai authorities ban sales of alcohol across the country on important Buddhist holidays, such as Asalha Puja Day and first day of Buddhist Lent, which fell on yesterday and today respectively.

However, alcohol is widely sold and consumed by Thais in the rest of the year.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1405171420&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-12

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just hope they don't introduce any more silly 2-5pm no buying hours schemes or other regulations regarding alcohol consumption, anything can happen in this country. Let people decide by themselves what and when they want to drink.

With speeches like the one above...nothing would surprise me now here......

• Like 2

what are they going to try to control next? "don't love sex"? "don't have too many pets"? "don't be a Christian worshiper"? or just "you WILL be happy - and that's an order"

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

I just hope they don't introduce any more silly 2-5pm no buying hours schemes or other regulations regarding alcohol consumption, anything can happen in this country. Let people decide by themselves what and when they want to drink.

That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect them to do.

Gen Prayut is a man of very firm, even strict views, and if he deems that alcohol is Bad For Thailand, I am sure he will consider steps to curb its use.

One easy way might be to threaten the mom-and-pop shops which are the easiest way round the current bans. Another easy one would be extending the bans around major religious and royal occasions -- one day before and one day after.

what are they going to try to control next? "don't love sex"? "don't have too many pets"? "don't be a Christian worshiper"? or just "you WILL be happy - and that's an order"

Conjecture and sensationalism at best.
  • Like 1

Prayuth could use good ole Chalerm as his poster boy for this campaign. Too much booze will turn you into a pathetic scumbag like this.

I wonder if a plan to have off-duty cops wearing balaclavas and driving round Thailand on motorbikes executing on sight anybody drinking or suspected to be drinking alcohol would have the Thaksinites crying Hallelujah as they did during his war on drugs? Double standards, much?

When I read garbage like the above its small wonder that General Prayuth declined the offer from Aliens to participate in the reform process. Its a Thai problem and only Thais can resolve it I believe he was quoted as saying.

Hopefully the NCPO does not read the TV news section, the topic & comments on Thaksin's birthday alone shows you what type of farangs we have over here.

If only the Shinawatra cabal were still the entrenched establishment your comments might have some merit. Alas, Thaksin is not the eternal dear leader he so dearly wanted to be, he is just a criminal on the run. As such, and like other criminals on the run from justice, he attracts derision from neutral readers. I think the NCPO would be unsurprised to see 99% of the Thai visa posts scorning the serial liar, violent terrorist and convicted fraudster, but they might raise an eyebrow at posts like yours that display profound distress at losing the Shin amart.

As part of growing up, self esteem ought to increase. When this happens you might feel the urge to make a comment on a political forum. Don't be so timid, you opinion is just as valuable as anybody else.

I prefer not to continue to to fuel the political rhetoric on a topic that is apolitical...alcolhol abuse.

Prayuth could use good ole Chalerm as his poster boy for this campaign. Too much booze will turn you into a pathetic scumbag like this.

I wonder if a plan to have off-duty cops wearing balaclavas and driving round Thailand on motorbikes executing on sight anybody drinking or suspected to be drinking alcohol would have the Thaksinites crying Hallelujah as they did during his war on drugs? Double standards, much?

When I read garbage like the above its small wonder that General Prayuth declined the offer from Aliens to participate in the reform process. Its a Thai problem and only Thais can resolve it I believe he was quoted as saying.

Hopefully the NCPO does not read the TV news section, the topic & comments on Thaksin's birthday alone shows you what type of farangs we have over here.

If only the Shinawatra cabal were still the entrenched establishment your comments might have some merit. Alas, Thaksin is not the eternal dear leader he so dearly wanted to be, he is just a criminal on the run. As such, and like other criminals on the run from justice, he attracts derision from neutral readers. I think the NCPO would be unsurprised to see 99% of the Thai visa posts scorning the serial liar, violent terrorist and convicted fraudster, but they might raise an eyebrow at posts like yours that display profound distress at losing the Shin amart.

As part of growing up, self esteem ought to increase. When this happens you might feel the urge to make a comment on a political forum. Don't be so timid, you opinion is just as valuable as anybody else.

I take it that you are not a fan of the Shinawatra family.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I heard they will start that today... but only for red shirts and farang red shirts so get ready get your ass handed over to you for the 2nd time by the junta.

To clarify I think this is reasonable advice, one should not be slave to any drug including Alcohol.

However I feel real strong about days without alcohol, forced by a government. I think its crazy and that religious people should adhere to their religion without force. Its just stupid to have alcohol free days. I am practically a non drinker so it does not affect me, but I am all for freedom to do with ones body what you please as long as you don't bother others.

Perhaps this is a classic example of a Western viewpoint which focuses on the Individual, the Me, the Self versus the Thai viewpoint which focuses on the Family, the Tribe, the community, the Nation and the Public good.

Ofcourse, you are only a guest here, as most of us, and so we are each free to move to a country that offers the freedoms to get polluted 24/7 if we so choose.

Cheers

• Like 1

To clarify I think this is reasonable advice, one should not be slave to any drug including Alcohol.

However I feel real strong about days without alcohol, forced by a government. I think its crazy and that religious people should adhere to their religion without force. Its just stupid to have alcohol free days. I am practically a non drinker so it does not affect me, but I am all for freedom to do with ones body what you please as long as you don't bother others.

Perhaps this is a classic example of a Western viewpoint which focuses on the Individual, the Me, the Self versus the Thai viewpoint which focuses on the Family, the Tribe, the community, the Nation and the Public good.

Ofcourse, you are only a guest here, as most of us, and so we are each free to move to a country that offers the freedoms to get polluted 24/7 if we so choose.

Cheers

I love it here, that does not mean I am not blind to things I dont like. There is no perfect country.

Cheers

I love it here, that does not mean I am not blind to things I dont like. There is no perfect country.

How BIG was that glass, Rob? Which way is Sukhumvit? :) (I'm never going to let you forget that.)

I don't see anything wrong in Prayuth's message - it's pretty much stock standard and will mostly be ignored unless he decides to enforce his wowserism on the rest of us - rest of you, actually, as I'm now forced to be a teetotaller for the rest of my life.