Nadine Gordimer, South African author, dies at 90

webfact

Nadine Gordimer, South African author, dies at 90

JOHANNESBURG: -- South African Nobel Prize-winning author Nadine Gordimer has died in Johannesburg aged 90.

The writer, who was one of the literary world's most powerful voices against apartheid - died at her home after a short illness, her family said.

She wrote more than 30 books, including the novels My Son's Story, Burger's Daughter and July's People.

She jointly won 1974's Booker Prize for The Conservationist and was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1991.

'She cared most deeply'

The Nobel committee said at the time it was honouring Gordimer for her "magnificent epic writing" which had been "of very great benefit to humanity".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28295542

[bbc]2014-07-15[/bbc]

RIP - She was a tough cookie not to be messed with! As a South African, raised in Apartheid SA, I can recommend her novels...

Living much of my life a bit north of South Africa during a very tumultuous period in that part of the world and as a frequent visitor to SA, she was something of a heroine to me and I loved everything she wrote. I may have to go back and re-read some of her work.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes She did live a rather privileged life, as a daughter of Lithuanian refugees.

Rather a vocal voice , about the suffering around her, while living in clover.

A voice for the truly oppressed, the mine workers digging deep tunnels beneath her city.