Demolitions switch to east coast of Phuket

webfact

Demolitions switch to east coast of Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1405506363_1-org.jpg
Most of the structures were flimsy rubberwood-and-tin erections.

PHUKET: -- About 30 structures in Ao Por, on the “non-tourist” northeast coast of Phuket, were today (July 16) demolished because they encroached on public land.

More than 60 navy officers and and Territorial Defense Volunteers led by Panya Sampaorat, Mayor of Pa Khlok, along with local police, Harbor Department officials and the municipal officers checked the area near Ao Por pier and then brought in a backhoe and trucks to demolish and carry away the remains of the flimsy structures.

Mr Panya said that Pa Khlok Municipality and relevant organizations were following the instructions in Order No 32 of the National Council for Peace and Order.

Five days earlier, the municipality met with local people who signed agreements to move the structures themselves or allow them to be destroyed.

The municipality promised that if anyone lived in any of the these structures and had nowhere else to stay, temporary accommodation would be provided for them.

Pa Khlok Municipality’s next target for the clearing of structures on public land will be Naka Island.

This afternoon, the team also went to check on a large house in Pa Khlok Moo 6 and found that a part of the building extended onto the beach.

However, this was the only really solid structure encroaching. The others were wooden buildings extending over klong or on the beach where people had opened souvenir, food and drink shops. Some people had occupied public land and were charging visitors to park cars or bikes on it.

Many tourists visit the area on their way to take boats from Ao Por Pier to the islands in Phang Nga Bay, sparking a rush by local people to sell items to them.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/demolitions-switch-to-east-coast-of-phuket-47375.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-16

Meanwhile the Thai big money players on Bang Tao near Laguna seemed to have escaped the same fate as hundreds of low income working Thais in Surin and Kamala.

Seems to me all of this is really just harassment of the working classes, by a now militarized elite- we keep hearing about Sirinart encroachment too, but.. well nothing is really happening to those resorts already operating.

IMGHO Just a huge PR campaign to get foreigners to publicly gush over a military dictatorship and get payola increased and of course, into the right hand.s

• Like 2

Naka island go for it clean it all out and off... all illegal..... right on the beach

this use to be a lovely quiet beach but now is also covered in beach chairs and umbrellas and they have even

roped off the beach area swimming spots so you cannot take your boat close to the beach or certain areas of the beach.

what right do these people have to just come along and set up drink huts on the beach then continually hassle

you to buy something from them....

or tell you - you cannot anchor your boat there...

this is the best thing for phuket including all the beach clearing on the main island....

• Like 2

Meanwhile the Thai big money players on Bang Tao near Laguna seemed to have escaped the same fate as hundreds of low income working Thais in Surin and Kamala.

Seems to me all of this is really just harassment of the working classes, by a now militarized elite- we keep hearing about Sirinart encroachment too, but.. well nothing is really happening to those resorts already operating.

IMGHO Just a huge PR campaign to get foreigners to publicly gush over a military dictatorship and get payola increased and of course, into the right hand.s

Thailand needs application of the rule of law. It should NOT be OK for poor people to cheat the system because they are poor just as much as it should NOT be OK for large player to cheat the system because they are rich.

Your concept is divisive and ignorant of a real effort to change long ingrained culture of corruption and ignorance of the rule of law.

There will be losers, both big and small, as this enforcement takes place, but overall the Thai public is a general winner.

• Like 2

>>Meanwhile the Thai big money players on Bang Tao near Laguna seemed to have escaped the same fate as hundreds of low income working Thais in Surin and Kamala.

Go ahead and report them to the General via a new email address. On the pinned posts above is his contact info. So far it seems the Army is working against both big and small, or we wouldn't have seen high end beach clubs demolished and mayors arrested, while being named and shamed.

• Like 2

>>Meanwhile the Thai big money players on Bang Tao near Laguna seemed to have escaped the same fate as hundreds of low income working Thais in Surin and Kamala.

Go ahead and report them to the General via a new email address. On the pinned posts above is his contact info. So far it seems the Army is working against both big and small, or we wouldn't have seen high end beach clubs demolished and mayors arrested, while being named and shamed.

High end? You mean the one, Catch? ( owned by an American isn't it? Under Amity..?) When I see big monied Thai owned clubs like the Layan concrete prison- style club's top six meters come down, it is over height, and NEVER should have gotten permission in that location ,

... and the huge restaurant mid Bang tao which has built a foundation onto the beach, then I'll admit I was wrong.

...When I see the resort at north end of Nai Thon confiscated ....and the 3 or 4 resorts on 4018 between Layan and Nai Thon,

...The precariously perched development at south end of Nai Thon, not only encroaching but blatantly violating height and grade ordinances...

So far it's the bamboo shacks, essentially ripping out the income of low waged workers and piddling middle tier folks who are too blatant in their mafiaso tactics. Talk about setting up a revolution- is that the plan?

Oh those horrid, nasty masseuses ruining the beach for everyone. C'mon!! Phuket is a luxury destination, where's the luxury when you can't find a lounge or umbrella on ANY beach? Where's the choice? No choice, budget travelers are OK with it, but not high end travelers that are considered so desirable.

A bit of regulation actually enforced is what was needed. This is throwing out the entire bathroom with the baby- the house, the neighborhood...

It really is just a band aid, no, it's a smoke and mirror trick, all for show, Rah Rah Army .. write home about it .

The only way to stop corruption is from the top down. You cannot pull the base of a pyramid out without removing the top layers first.

I see no one on top being hassled, in fact I see the upper monied elite now backed by the army .. I am betting the payoffs are increasing exponentially as I write.

I hope I'm wrong....I really do, but... TiT

Edited by EBlair48

High end? You mean the one, Catch? ( owned by an American isn't it? Under Amity..?) When I see big monied Thai owned clubs like the Layan concrete prison- style club's top six meters come down, it is over height, and NEVER should have gotten permission in that location ,

... and the huge restaurant mid Bang tao which has built a foundation onto the beach, then I'll admit I was wrong.

...When I see the resort at north end of Nai Thon confiscated ....and the 3 or 4 resorts on 4018 between Layan and Nai Thon,

...The precariously perched development at south end of Nai Thon, not only encroaching but blatantly violating height and grade ordinances...

So far it's the bamboo shacks, essentially ripping out the income of low waged workers and piddling middle tier folks who are too blatant in their mafiaso tactics. Talk about setting up a revolution- is that the plan?

Oh those horrid, nasty masseuses ruining the beach for everyone. C'mon!! Phuket is a luxury destination, where's the luxury when you can't find a lounge or umbrella on ANY beach? Where's the choice? No choice, budget travelers are OK with it, but not high end travelers that are considered so desirable.

A bit of regulation actually enforced is what was needed. This is throwing out the entire bathroom with the baby- the house, the neighborhood...

It really is just a band aid, no, it's a smoke and mirror trick, all for show, Rah Rah Army .. write home about it .

The only way to stop corruption is from the top down. You cannot pull the base of a pyramid out without removing the top layers first.

I see no one on top being hassled, in fact I see the upper monied elite now backed by the army .. I am betting the payoffs are increasing exponentially as I write.

I hope I'm wrong....I really do, but... TiT

So, are you going to contact the General, or just vent and rant here? I seriously doubt the General reads TV, but in your case, hopefully his minions do,, but since you don't name anything that you feel is breaking the law, the minions can't help.

@ EBlair

Also, is there any reason why you have not mentioned the Lotus,,Bangtao by name? (you say ... and the huge restaurant mid Bang tao which has built a foundation onto the beach, then I'll admit I was wrong)

It does seem odd that the Lotus and other big names adjacent still stand. As I see it when the Lotus is torn down, then I will believe.....

Even the army are not omnipotent and can not be everywhere at the same time, those of you complaining about what they haven't done yet, give it time for Christs's sake and let's have a glass half full for all the good things they have done since they came to power...And if you know somewhere action is needed, tell them, they have a hotline, why not try using it instead of complaining here ?

I just drove by the Ao Por pier area and plenty of the shops have already been demolished and the work is still going on.

It will be interesting to see how the area will look like in a few weeks time.

Dear General....

please return to Surin Beach and ask the vendors to vacant Surin Beach carpark..

the past few days there have been 3 vendors parked in the general car park taking up spaces. once one comes they all will

return.... this is public land and not a market place as you know..

i asked them why they were there and what happens if the army or police come back and they just laughed..

see attached photos... they were taken 1030am saturday 19th july and they were there the previous few days...

concern citizen and very very happy with the way the army has taken control of the situation and away from all these

corrupt individuals..

thank you...post-185775-0-53542900-1405825069_thumb.

post-185775-0-24041000-1405825076_thumb.

Dear General....

please return to Surin Beach and ask the vendors to vacant Surin Beach carpark..

the past few days there have been 3 vendors parked in the general car park taking up spaces. once one comes they all will

return.... this is public land and not a market place as you know..

i asked them why they were there and what happens if the army or police come back and they just laughed..

see attached photos... they were taken 1030am saturday 19th july and they were there the previous few days...

concern citizen and very very happy with the way the army has taken control of the situation and away from all these

corrupt individuals..

thank you...attachicon.gifphoto-51.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto-52.JPG

Over to you aussieinphuket.

Major General Praveen Pongsirin 081 8936083. (reporting of beach encroachers)