Refused entry at Swampy for 20 minutes

I have posted this on another thread. Every one should be made aware that if you are refused entry to Thailand then the rest of ASEAN will refuse you entry as well. You have to return to the country of your passport. A lot of people will no doubt have found this out already.

As you have signed out of say, Malaysia and refused entry to Thailand then you are in no mans land.If you try to go back to Malaysia They will refuse entry and put you in detention until you can fly out to the country that issued your passport.

By refusing you entry the Thai's are also ensuring that you will spend some time in detention.

So beware.

I believe this is B.S. I have been refused entry into Mayaysia because some of the previous visas in my passport had faded (wife washed passport). I went back to Thailand explained the situation and they let me back in, I got a 7 day extension then got a new passport and tried again with success this time.

• Like 2

I have lived in Chiang Mai with my wife for the last 14 years.

I am a freelance engineer (offshore ltd. co.), and work contracts outside Thailand.

Sometime out for just a few days, sometimes two months or so.

Never work in Thailand.

First 4 years I used visa exempt entry.

Then the rules for a ticket out of Thailand were hardened, (and I never new when/where I was going next) so I obtained Non-O from Hull every year.

Until last year, when Hull went pear shaped and I used Birmingham with no problem.

Applying for a year extension based on marriage or "retirement" (I am over 60) is, I believe not possible as I understand once the app is in, you have to stay until it is granted.

I need to be able to leave within a day's notice, part of the job.

As long as I can ensure a 'window' in my work commitments to allow me to get to UK at about the time my Non-O expires, all is good, even if I now have to travel to London for the visa.

The problem is, I had always assumed that if I was out on a job when my Non-O expired, I could always enter Thailand on a visa exempt, then on to UK to renew my Non-O.

Seems that option may now be closed.

As far as I know, everything I have done so far re visa is legit.

This is not a whinge or complaint. Just telling my story for what it is woth.

"Applying for a year extension based on marriage or "retirement" (I am over 60) is, I believe not possible as I understand once the app is in, you have to stay until it is granted.

I need to be able to leave within a day's notice, part of the job."

The wait for approval would be true for a marriage extension, but a retirement extension is always granted (or not) immediately if you have all the requirements in place and you could get a multiple re-entry permit ... unless I'm missing something.

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

There is no "perfect" solution to such a problem,

But best solution is:

• Get legitimate by marrying.
  • Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".

You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

Other people have gone through the process, it is possible.

Is there any advantage of the marriage visa over the retirement visa, other than 400,000 instead of 800,000 baht? I'm on a retirement visa at present and getting married next month, so wondered if it's worth changing to the married visa. Some say the married visa is more of a hassle.

Is there any advantage of the marriage visa over the retirement visa, other than 400,000 instead of 800,000 baht? I'm on a retirement visa at present and getting married next month, so wondered if it's worth changing to the married visa. Some say the married visa is more of a hassle.

Marriage requires less money, but if you have enough mony in the bank for the retirement extension, the extension based on retirement is much less paperwork and isued on the spot where the extension based on marriage needs higher approval and you will need to come back after 30 days.

I have posted this on another thread. Every one should be made aware that if you are refused entry to Thailand then the rest of ASEAN will refuse you entry as well. You have to return to the country of your passport. A lot of people will no doubt have found this out already.

As you have signed out of say, Malaysia and refused entry to Thailand then you are in no mans land.If you try to go back to Malaysia They will refuse entry and put you in detention until you can fly out to the country that issued your passport.

By refusing you entry the Thai's are also ensuring that you will spend some time in detention.

So beware.

I think in theory you are correct. However, your scenario just happened this past week with a German couple - friends and neighbors of mine. Last Saturday they left Krabi - went to the Malaysian border - processed out ... processed into Malaysia. Then quickly returned to process back into Thailand --- Denied. Too many Extensions on an airport arrival Exemption (VoA)...They were told to sign some sort of 'Alien' document, told that they had to go to Penang and get a Tourist Visa. Due to the holidays last weekend - Embassy Closed ... Got the Visa on Monday late. They stayed the night as it was quite late. Next day returned to the same border checkpoint and were stamped through with a new entry allowed. Then even though very late they returned to the Krabi area arriving about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

While at the Malaysian - Thai checkpoints after being Denied re-entry they were allowed to just go back into Malaysia - go to local Malaysian border town hotel and spent the night. They were not put into a no man's land - but I could see how a Malaysian IO could have easily done just that.

So just to make this crystal clear

I can arrive in BKK and get a visa exempt stamp allowing me to stay for 30 days

I can then go to Immigration and get this converted to an O visa

And, on the same day, i can ask for an extension for retirement ( being over 50 and by having over 800,000 Thai baht in Thai bank for last 60 days,proven)

I can then, on the same day, ask for a multiple entry permit ( so I can fly in and out for a year)

Immigration would never hold my passport overnight

On the next day I could fly out of BKK and return as often as I would like in the next year.

So one day at Immigration would enable all this?

apologies if I sound a little pedantic..)

many thanks...

You would need to do the conversion to within 15 days of arrival on an exempt entry.

Not all offices will do it all in one visit. At the moment on Jomtien and Hua Hin are the only ones that do it on the same day that I know of.

For most offices that can do you will only get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then go back within the last 30 days of that entry. You can get a re-entry permit (single 1000 baht) for the 90 day entry if you need to travel. And then apply for the extension after your return. Once you have the extension of stay you can get the multiple re-entry permit and travel as much as you want.

The Jomtien immigration office will occasionally have you come back the next day to pick up your passport all others do it while you wait.

• Like 1

Marriage requires less money, but if you have enough mony in the bank for the retirement extension, the extension based on retirement is much less paperwork and isued on the spot where the extension based on marriage needs higher approval and you will need to come back after 30 days.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll stick with the retirement visa.

I can confirm this info.

Went in 3 days ago with a friend.

He had 2 little overstays before and always comes in for a 30day stamp.

He travels a lot and usually doesn't stay more than 30 days.

He had to argue for 30 minutes with 3 different officers. Due to his perfect Thai language skills,

and the last officer lives/ comes from the same Thai city (so they had a lovely conversation how good gher hometown is clap2.gif ),

he got ONE LAST entrance. He's going to get a new passport now, this should help.

And, on the same day, i can ask for an extension for retirement ( being over 50 and by having over 800,000 Thai baht in Thai bank for last 60 days,proven)

I can then, on the same day, ask for a multiple entry permit ( so I can fly in and out for a year)

On the next day I could fly out of BKK and return as often as I would like in the next year.

many thanks...

You would need to do the conversion to within 15 days of arrival on an exempt entry.

Not all offices will do it all in one visit. At the moment on Jomtien and Hua Hin are the only ones that do it on the same day that I know of.

For most offices that can do you will only get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then go back within the last 30 days of that entry. You can get a re-entry permit (single 1000 baht) for the 90 day entry if you need to travel. And then apply for the extension after your return. Once you have the extension of stay you can get the multiple re-entry permit and travel as much as you want.

The Jomtien immigration office will occasionally have you come back the next day to pick up your passport all others do it while you wait.

I'm married, have kids, have more than 400,000 in the bank for years but I am currently outside the country. I will have been outside of Thailand for about 45 days and just before I left I was on 3 28 day stamps in a row. Before that I had not been in Thailand for a year. All of my documents are in Thailand with my wife (other than passport). So 2 questions.

1, Will I be turned away when I fly into Thailand in just over a month?

2, Assuming I get in, do I need to go to the Immigration place in BKK or can I do it at Hua Hin or Jomtiem? I was told in Chiang Rai, where we live, I needed to go to BKK.

Thank you.

Edited by ChaangNoi

Make sure you have proof of your marrige with you when you return to Thailand. But if your wife can email you a scan of marriage certificate you should be able to get a non-O visa while abroad.

Conversion must be done in BKK, and when you do you need to show 400,000 in the bank in Thailand (or an income of 40,000 baht a month, certified by your embassy if frm abroad)

I have no income but I have a lot of Baht sitting in the bank just in case something like this happened. In my home country I think I have an org marriage certificate (I'm in a third country for a few more days) but I have no way to prove that I have 400,000 plus Baht in the bank and no way to get a letter unless I go back to Thailand (unless my wife takes the book to the bank while im away?).

Also assuming I can get the letter and a copy of the book works how long should it take for me to get a "marrage visa" from my home county? Also should I request multi entry at that time? I travel all over for my work but do not work in Thailand. Just use it as a base and my family lives there most of the time too.

Thank so much.

For a single non-O often no proof of money in the bank is asked for, just proof of marriage.

A multiple non-O normally does require money in the bank.

How long it takes depends on the consulate in question, normally not longer than a few days.

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

There is no "perfect" solution to such a problem,

But best solution is:

• Get legitimate by marrying.
  • Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".
You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

Other people have gone through the process, it is possible.

That's the worst advice ever posted on TV. "Get married"??!! How can a guy give another guy a cruel "advice" like that?!

For a single non-O often no proof of money in the bank is asked for, just proof of marriage.

A multiple non-O normally does require money in the bank.

How long it takes depends on the consulate in question, normally not longer than a few days.

Okay, any special advice to give me if I know I will be leaving Thailand again for a few months after I stay for a month or two? I'm not really a tourist but I'm sure you can see why I just did the visa runs in the past. I'm never here long enough were it was an issue before.

BTW thanks for all the helpful info.

I have no income but I have a lot of Baht sitting in the bank just in case something like this happened. In my home country I think I have an org marriage certificate (I'm in a third country for a few more days) but I have no way to prove that I have 400,000 plus Baht in the bank and no way to get a letter unless I go back to Thailand (unless my wife takes the book to the bank while im away?).

Also assuming I can get the letter and a copy of the book works how long should it take for me to get a "marrage visa" from my home county? Also should I request multi entry at that time? I travel all over for my work but do not work in Thailand. Just use it as a base and my family lives there most of the time too.

Thank so much.

You should not have a problem entering the country.

You don't have to get a multiple entry non-o visa in your home country. You can go to the consulate in Savannakhet Laos and get one with no need for the financial proof.

The financial proof mentioned would be needed to to get a one year extension of stay at immigration.

many thanks...

many thanks...

I stay in BKK when I come to Thailand..so I would go Chaeng wattana

So, if i am reading this right, your advice conflicts with mario's?

I could not go VE to Non O to retirement extension in one day

If I have to wait until the last 30 days of a 90 day ..which for me is impossible as i only stay around 10 days..

if it would definitely be processed, it would be feasible to go to Jomtien for the day to organise...can one do that although not staying in that area?

thanks for all the help.

ah..just rereading....so i could go VE to Non O..get re-entry permit on way out of BKK

return to BKK in the last 30 day window of the 90 day visa..(basically in 2 months time)

go to immi and get retirement extension (RE)

then apply for multiple re-entry permit (MEP)

so VE > NonO (wait 60 days)> RE> MEP

and live happily ever after..))

I think perhaps the front line immigration officers are not that well trained and simply do what they are told. If you are from a country where Thailand has a treaty for 30 day visa on arrival (by air), they shouldn't refuse because it may be violating the international agreement. Perhaps they could amend the 30 day visa for business travelers and oilfield workers requiring a 3-4 weekday stay out of country before reentry which would screw-up the illegal workers.

• Like 1

Also.. Guys on Phuket who work rotation have asked immigration if they can still use visa exempt when out of the country 30 days and told no. They will need a 'proper visa' without any definition of what that proper visa is.

For them, a tourist visa would be proper.....simply done.

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I am not a oil trade worker but I am approaching my 70th visa exempt entry this year in to thailand

I entered yesterday thru Poipet and had absolutely no problem at all however the two monks in front me were bounced back....

I really think it will come down to what you are carrying I know i always carry my Cambodian bank book and lease and last 3 mths rent receipts I live and work in cambodia and have a long term girlfriend in thailand ....

I made inquiries about a month ago when i had a spare hour about the new visa changes looking for what type of visa i could use for so many multiple entries i do and was told there is none

however when i did they took copies of my documents and the guy entered something into the computer

After this it seems i go thru 2 times faster and really don't go thru my passport looking at the stamps.

So I am suspecting they have a system in place for regular visa exempt entries but you may find they are looking for proof that you are a visitor and have documents to back it up

Maybe other regular visa exempt users should try the same but ill let you know how it goes after the 12th

• Like 2

many thanks...

I stay in BKK when I come to Thailand..so I would go Chaeng wattana

So, if i am reading this right, your advice conflicts with mario's?

I could not go VE to Non O to retirement extension in one day

If I have to wait until the last 30 days of a 90 day ..which for me is impossible as i only stay around 10 days..

if it would definitely be processed, it would be feasible to go to Jomtien for the day to organise...can one do that although not staying in that area?

thanks for all the help.

ah..just rereading....so i could go VE to Non O..get re-entry permit on way out of BKK

return to BKK in the last 30 day window of the 90 day visa..(basically in 2 months time)

go to immi and get retirement extension (RE)

then apply for multiple re-entry permit (MEP)

so VE > NonO (wait 60 days)> RE> MEP

and live happily ever after..))

Mario may of got offices mixed up .

You can do the conversion in Bangkok. The only way you could do it in Jomtien would be if you lived there.

You can do the extension when you have 45 days left on the 90 day entry at CW (30 days at some other offices)..

Correct all you need to do is get a re-entry permit for the 90 days and then get the extension. You could get it at CW as soon as you got the entry or do it at either airport in Bangkok on departure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK so this guy was doing back to back visa run right?? Is there any incidence of anyone on 28/28 getting refused or passing through unhindered? I'll be there in 2 weeks so I will post how it goes.

Yes if any body has any firm evidence that people have been refused entry at the airport especially working on a roster I find it had to believe.

I think perhaps the front line immigration officers are not that well trained and simply do what they are told. If you are from a country where Thailand has a treaty for 30 day visa on arrival (by air), they shouldn't refuse because it may be violating the international agreement. Perhaps they could amend the 30 day visa for business travelers and oilfield workers requiring a 3-4 weekday stay out of country before reentry which would screw-up the illegal workers.

I don't know about other countries, but this is the notice on the US Embassy - Bangkok website and gives no indication that denial of re-entry is in any way a violation of a bilateral or international agreement of which the US and Thailand are parties:

7 JULY 2014 ... The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry.

• Like 1

Also.. Guys on Phuket who work rotation have asked immigration if they can still use visa exempt when out of the country 30 days and told no. They will need a 'proper visa' without any definition of what that proper visa is.

No...because that would very quickly be considered 'back to back', which would be denied entry. That term, back to back, isn't interpreted by immigration at this time, to mean that one literally starts the day after another. It means more than 1 or 2 in a passport already.

If the reports of oil and gas guys not being able to use the visa waiver 30 day entry's are correct then this will cause a lot problems for a lot people.

I work in oil and gas, but do not have a rotation. This time off I am waiting for a new contract to start so I will be going back the the UK to get a tourist visa (this will be my first one) as I plan to have 5 or 6 weeks off.

I hope this will be ok to enter Thailand. I have only got 3 x 30 day visa waiver stamps in my passport this year, and 2 of the entries were for less than 8 days.

I have a work visa for Malaysia, the new contract is for the same company, so my visa is still valid.

If the tourist visa is still not good enough then I will have to look at the 5 year elite card. Or I will just wait till next year when I reach 50.

I am not legally married so the married visa is not an option.

FD

If you can get a triple entry tourist visa and time things right, then you can get 9 months on those, convert to a non O in Thailand and then get your extension when you reach 50.

• Like 1

No...because that would very quickly be considered 'back to back', which would be denied entry. That term, back to back, isn't interpreted by immigration at this time, to mean that one literally starts the day after another. It means more than 1 or 2 in a passport already.

Perhaps I am wrong in considering that it is perfectly ok to fly into Thailand with a tourist visa...then leave to go to work again elsewhere, for more than a month, then acquiring a new tourist visa.

Is this, then, not allowed?