Refused entry at Swampy for 20 minutes

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I think the OP probably had several same day turnaround exempt entries not being gone for 30 days at a time.

• Like 1

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I think the OP probably had several same day turnaround exempt entries not being gone for 30 days at a time.

With a bit of luck he'll return and clarify.

In my case I've only ever done one in-out on visa exempt, and one in-out to activate the second part of my tourist visa. To me, and I can't blame them for doing this, immigration are just noticing a forest of visa-exempt stamps in the passport then becoming immediately sticky.

The OP and myself managed to talk our way in, he with his daughters birth cert, and me by providing a copy of my onward flight. Anyone showing up with a history of visa-exempts etc should arm themselves with additional documents such as employment contracts overseas, return flight tickets etc just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

Also.. Guys on Phuket who work rotation have asked immigration if they can still use visa exempt when out of the country 30 days and told no. They will need a 'proper visa' without any definition of what that proper visa is.

But then you have topic where a guy went to immigration on Soi 5 and was told no problem, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743539-im-in-soi-5-immigration-now/#entry8112347

Phuket has been part of the southern border crossing madness so who knows.

• Like 1

---------------------

There is no "perfect" solution to such a problem,

But best solution is:

• Get legitimate by marrying.
  • Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".
You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

Other people have gone through the process, it is possible.

How would somebody on a 30 day rotation be able to get an extension of stay based upon marriage?. It is not feasible.

And why even mention reports of staying longer than 90 days when they would probably never be here that long.

The best option if married is to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

i think the fact you had your daughter's birth certificate swung it: It shows you have good reason for being long term in the country. Once you get the correct visa, you should be fine.

Wouldn't that actually help substantiate that he "resides" in the country and is not a "simple" tourist?

I am glad it worked out for the OP.

• Like 1

If the reports of oil and gas guys not being able to use the visa waiver 30 day entry's are correct then this will cause a lot problems for a lot people.

I work in oil and gas, but do not have a rotation. This time off I am waiting for a new contract to start so I will be going back the the UK to get a tourist visa (this will be my first one) as I plan to have 5 or 6 weeks off.

I hope this will be ok to enter Thailand. I have only got 3 x 30 day visa waiver stamps in my passport this year, and 2 of the entries were for less than 8 days.

I have a work visa for Malaysia, the new contract is for the same company, so my visa is still valid.

If the tourist visa is still not good enough then I will have to look at the 5 year elite card. Or I will just wait till next year when I reach 50.

I am not legally married so the married visa is not an option.

FD

i think the fact you had your daughter's birth certificate swung it: It shows you have good reason for being long term in the country. Once you get the correct visa, you should be fine.

Wouldn't that actually help substantiate that he "resides" in the country and is not a "simple" tourist?

I am glad it worked out for the OP.

Yes, maybe. But it was also mentioned on another thread that a senior official told the guy to 'take his daughter's birth certificate'. I think all this crackdown is to go after the guy's who are working illegally, and not people with family here.

I wish posters would actually provide specifics such as how many O/I or 30-day arrival stamps they have.

21 visa-exempt - mainly for stays of a week or two, certainly always less than a month.

Double tourist visa - did one In-Out at Hat Yai

Of the 21 visa exempt - I have only ever done one In-Out, that was at Mae Sai - twelve days later I left and went to Laos for a couple of weeks.

I do tend to use Thailand as a hub, I normally head out to neighbouring countries and spend several days there touring before returning.

I don't live in Thailand.

• Like 1

Help the forum by telling us which type of visa you arrived on.

Glad to hear you were eventually admitted entry, and congratulations on getting custody of your child.

The 30 day arrival stamp was a clue...................

• Like 2

I have lived in Chiang Mai with my wife for the last 14 years.

I am a freelance engineer (offshore ltd. co.), and work contracts outside Thailand.

Sometime out for just a few days, sometimes two months or so.

Never work in Thailand.

First 4 years I used visa exempt entry.

Then the rules for a ticket out of Thailand were hardened, (and I never new when/where I was going next) so I obtained Non-O from Hull every year.

Until last year, when Hull went pear shaped and I used Birmingham with no problem.

Applying for a year extension based on marriage or "retirement" (I am over 60) is, I believe not possible as I understand once the app is in, you have to stay until it is granted.

I need to be able to leave within a day's notice, part of the job.

As long as I can ensure a 'window' in my work commitments to allow me to get to UK at about the time my Non-O expires, all is good, even if I now have to travel to London for the visa.

The problem is, I had always assumed that if I was out on a job when my Non-O expired, I could always enter Thailand on a visa exempt, then on to UK to renew my Non-O.

Seems that option may now be closed.

As far as I know, everything I have done so far re visa is legit.

This is not a whinge or complaint. Just telling my story for what it is woth.

An extension of stay based upon retirement is issued on the same day you apply there is no wait. Just apply for it and get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) and you will be good for a year. If your annual income is equal to 65k baht a month you should be able to get an income letter from the embassy or consulate,

The extesnion of stay based upon marriage has a 30 day under consideration period.

I have lived in Chiang Mai with my wife for the last 14 years.

I am a freelance engineer (offshore ltd. co.), and work contracts outside Thailand.

Sometime out for just a few days, sometimes two months or so.

Never work in Thailand.

First 4 years I used visa exempt entry.

Then the rules for a ticket out of Thailand were hardened, (and I never new when/where I was going next) so I obtained Non-O from Hull every year.

Until last year, when Hull went pear shaped and I used Birmingham with no problem.

Applying for a year extension based on marriage or "retirement" (I am over 60) is, I believe not possible as I understand once the app is in, you have to stay until it is granted.

I need to be able to leave within a day's notice, part of the job.

As long as I can ensure a 'window' in my work commitments to allow me to get to UK at about the time my Non-O expires, all is good, even if I now have to travel to London for the visa.

The problem is, I had always assumed that if I was out on a job when my Non-O expired, I could always enter Thailand on a visa exempt, then on to UK to renew my Non-O.

Seems that option may now be closed.

As far as I know, everything I have done so far re visa is legit.

This is not a whinge or complaint. Just telling my story for what it is woth.

An extension of stay based upon retirement is issued on the same day you apply there is no wait. Just apply for it and get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) and you will be good for a year. If your annual income is equal to 65k baht a month you should be able to get an income letter from the embassy or consulate,

The extesnion of stay based upon marriage has a 30 day under consideration period.

Thanks for that info, ubonjoe, I was not aware the difference in application time retirement vs marriage. I will certainly look into that. For the annual income requirement, that is so variable and not sure how I would get it verified. Am I correct in assuming the 800k in a bank does the same?

With 800,000 in a bank account in Thailand you are good for an extension of stay from immigration. The balance must be confirmed with a letter from your bank AND an updated bank book. Money must be there for months for the first extension and 3 months every extension after that.

You can also use a combination of money in the bank and yearly income, if it is together 800,000.

• Like 1

So just to make this crystal clear

I can arrive in BKK and get a visa exempt stamp allowing me to stay for 30 days

I can then go to Immigration and get this converted to an O visa

And, on the same day, i can ask for an extension for retirement ( being over 50 and by having over 800,000 Thai baht in Thai bank for last 60 days,proven)

I can then, on the same day, ask for a multiple entry permit ( so I can fly in and out for a year)

Immigration would never hold my passport overnight

On the next day I could fly out of BKK and return as often as I would like in the next year.

So one day at Immigration would enable all this?

apologies if I sound a little pedantic..)

many thanks...

Yes, depending on the office. Sometimes they only give 90 day and expect you to come back after 60 days to get the 1 year extension.

Keep in mind that with no visa, the airline can refuse boarding without a ticket out within 30 days of arrival.

well..to be honest that doesn't sound like too many hoops to jump through...especially if it could all be achieved in one day....

seems like I will be spending a day trotting round chaeng wattana...

i will be carrying outbound flights and work contracts (outside of Thailand) when i arrive..

I generally work 60 days away and only 10 days back....will be interesting to see where the bar is set and if I get questioned....

thanks again.

It really is straight forward.

But I forgot to mention one minor hick-up. If you do a conversion, you need proof that the 800,000 baht in the bank account came from abroad. I presume it did, so the bank should be able to confirm it.

Don't forget to update your bank book and get a bank letter for immigration when you go.

The "correct visa" for the OP would have been a non-O visa but having arrived visa-exempt, he can now get the non-O from his local immigration office and then get one-year extensions to live with his daughter. Congratulations to the OP for having got the documentation regarding parental rights sorted out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app