Refused entry at Swampy for 20 minutes

I am an avid reader of Thai Visa, and must admit to now being acutely worried about Thailand's new apparent Visa policy.

I love Thailand and visit very often, then many years ago my family decided to buy a holiday house in Samui, which I sold just a couple of months ago, deciding to build on a new development with a definite 'wow' factor. I genuinely come to Thailand as a tourist because I like the country and way of life. I have never overstayed and have one recent border run in my passport, due to difficulties of travel during the Curfew period. I have many friends in Thailand

and am looking forward to the new holiday house being built on Samui, but I am so worried now I am seriously considering cancelling everything and visiting Thailand only occasionally as a holiday destination from time to time, rather than my regular and frequent venue. I am of retirement age but still work in the U.K. in medical research and have some books published in BKK, but not written there. I do not have the capital requirements mentioned for a more permanent Visa, nor do I want one.

Am I the kind of target that Immigration is now likely to scrutinize and possibly refuse entry after an 11,000 Km flight? Should I abandon ideas of visiting Thailand as often as I have done up to now?

I would welcome sensible advice rather than scaremongering stories and anecdotes.

The only sensible advice you are going to get is that no one knows. Your travel profile and mine are similar, and there will be many more like us who regard Thailand as a primary vacation location.

We seem to have been swept up in the same net as the "illegals" - and as unfair as it is we'll just need to live with it until the dust settles.

Setting aside we regular genuine tourists, I do think its beyond ridiculous that the oil trade guys are being pulled into this. I can't think of many countries in the world that wouldn't love people making a fortune elsewhere arriving to spend their hard-earned cash on a thirty day splurge before leaving again.

M*E*N*T*A*L

I am also in the same situation just like hundreds of thousands of people who will now need to head to another country.

Thailand HATES genuine tourists if they dare to come back, the more you spend and are a faithful tourist, the more they hate you and consider you a indesiderable criminal. Hence the people being refused because they dared to come back and chose Thailand as they primary vacation spot.

They are just showing us how much they hate us, they just want to keep the law breakers who are packing Thailand with their ED,O and Business visas and the one-time tourists coming here with their last-minute 900 euros-all included-package and eat the 30 baht Pad Thai on the street.

Pretending to spend here few months and spend 20-30K USD is a unbelievable crime. You are considered a pariah. They basically tell you to go to spend your money in Malaysia or Cambodia.

No, definitely there are not many countries, I would say Thailand is the only country in the world who hates to see tourists coming back. They want people to come here once in their lifetime and never come back. But now the "perfect race" white asians Chinese and Taiwanese can start coming Visa-free, I guess they will be welcomed , since they represent the race to be worshipped, not the "dirty" hated farangs, who they want to get rid of.

Once Thailand will be packed by millions of Chinese tourists, Farangs will be all undesiderable. Wait and see.

Edited by max72

I would like to get the most appropriate visa. I don't work, I have money, I just come to Thailand 7 or 8 times a year for a few weeks each time. Once in Thailand all I really do Is loaf around, but I do spend money on hotels, mostly 4 or 5 stars, and restaurants and bars etc. But basically I loaf around. Is there a visa for that, like a loafers visa? I can't really see how I fit into any other category.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There are no visas for that. You are a tourist. But the kind of tourist (faithful, high spending) Thailand wants to get rid of.

They want people coming here once in their lifetime and stay at 300 baht at night joint and go away for good.

If you really have money to spend and wants a place for your winter holidays, they red stamp you when they see you return too often and chose as your permanent VACATION place. Amazing Thailand ! Come here once and never come back !

Edited by max72

This crackdown is not revenue orientated, otherwise why not charge 1000 baht for a tourist Visa as all other surrounding countries do?

The revenue would be immense, and there would be immediate tangible evidence of entry and length of stay allowed, and might just deter a few abusers of the system?

??? Tourist visas cost 30 euros in Europe , $40 in USA, They are not free.

The Marriage Extension is a lot more hassle and time and then your permission to stay in Thailand is dependent on someone other than yourself. Retirement Extension is much easier to deal with and totally within your personal control (other than what Immigration does of course).

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

There is no "perfect" solution to such a problem,

But best solution is:

• Get legitimate by marrying.
  • Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".

You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

Other people have gone through the process, it is possible.

Is there any advantage of the marriage visa over the retirement visa, other than 400,000 instead of 800,000 baht? I'm on a retirement visa at present and getting married next month, so wondered if it's worth changing to the married visa. Some say the married visa is more of a hassle.

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I am not a oil trade worker but I am approaching my 70th visa exempt entry this year in to thailand

I entered yesterday thru Poipet and had absolutely no problem at all however the two monks in front me were bounced back....

I really think it will come down to what you are carrying I know i always carry my Cambodian bank book and lease and last 3 mths rent receipts I live and work in cambodia and have a long term girlfriend in thailand ....

I made inquiries about a month ago when i had a spare hour about the new visa changes looking for what type of visa i could use for so many multiple entries i do and was told there is none

however when i did they took copies of my documents and the guy entered something into the computer

After this it seems i go thru 2 times faster and really don't go thru my passport looking at the stamps.

So I am suspecting they have a system in place for regular visa exempt entries but you may find they are looking for proof that you are a visitor and have documents to back it up

Maybe other regular visa exempt users should try the same but ill let you know how it goes after the 12th

70th visa exempt entry this year. That's more than twice a week, impressive. Or do you mean 70th lifetime?

Edited by arunsakda

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I am not a oil trade worker but I am approaching my 70th visa exempt entry this year in to thailand
I entered yesterday thru Poipet and had absolutely no problem at all however the two monks in front me were bounced back....
I really think it will come down to what you are carrying I know i always carry my Cambodian bank book and lease and last 3 mths rent receipts I live and work in cambodia and have a long term girlfriend in thailand ....
I made inquiries about a month ago when i had a spare hour about the new visa changes looking for what type of visa i could use for so many multiple entries i do and was told there is none
however when i did they took copies of my documents and the guy entered something into the computer
After this it seems i go thru 2 times faster and really don't go thru my passport looking at the stamps.
So I am suspecting they have a system in place for regular visa exempt entries but you may find they are looking for proof that you are a visitor and have documents to back it up
Maybe other regular visa exempt users should try the same but ill let you know how it goes after the 12th

70th visa exempt entry this year. That's more than twice a week, or do you mean 70th lifetime?

The job sounds more Off that on

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am an avid reader of Thai Visa, and must admit to now being acutely worried about Thailand's new apparent Visa policy.

I love Thailand and visit very often, then many years ago my family decided to buy a holiday house in Samui, which I sold just a couple of months ago, deciding to build on a new development with a definite 'wow' factor. I genuinely come to Thailand as a tourist because I like the country and way of life. I have never overstayed and have one recent border run in my passport, due to difficulties of travel during the Curfew period. I have many friends in Thailand

and am looking forward to the new holiday house being built on Samui, but I am so worried now I am seriously considering cancelling everything and visiting Thailand only occasionally as a holiday destination from time to time, rather than my regular and frequent venue. I am of retirement age but still work in the U.K. in medical research and have some books published in BKK, but not written there. I do not have the capital requirements mentioned for a more permanent Visa, nor do I want one.

Am I the kind of target that Immigration is now likely to scrutinize and possibly refuse entry after an 11,000 Km flight? Should I abandon ideas of visiting Thailand as often as I have done up to now?

I would welcome sensible advice rather than scaremongering stories and anecdotes.

The only sensible advice you are going to get is that no one knows. Your travel profile and mine are similar, and there will be many more like us who regard Thailand as a primary vacation location.

We seem to have been swept up in the same net as the "illegals" - and as unfair as it is we'll just need to live with it until the dust settles.

Setting aside we regular genuine tourists, I do think its beyond ridiculous that the oil trade guys are being pulled into this. I can't think of many countries in the world that wouldn't love people making a fortune elsewhere arriving to spend their hard-earned cash on a thirty day splurge before leaving again.

M*E*N*T*A*L

I am also in the same situation just like hundreds of thousands of people who will now need to head to another country.

Thailand HATES genuine tourists if they dare to come back, the more you spend and are a faithful tourist, the more they hate you and consider you a indesiderable criminal. Hence the people being refused because they dared to come back and chose Thailand as they primary vacation spot.

They are just showing us how much they hate us, they just want to keep the law breakers who are packing Thailand with their ED,O and Business visas and the one-time tourists coming here with their last-minute 900 euros-all included-package and eat the 30 baht Pad Thai on the street.

Pretending to spend here few months and spend 20-30K USD is a unbelievable crime. You are considered a pariah. They basically tell you to go to spend your money in Malaysia or Cambodia.

No, definitely there are not many countries, I would say Thailand is the only country in the world who hates to see tourists coming back. They want people to come here once in their lifetime and never come back. But now the "perfect race" white asians Chinese and Taiwanese can start coming Visa-free, I guess they will be welcomed , since they represent the race to be worshipped, not the "dirty" hated farangs, who they want to get rid of.

Once Thailand will be packed by millions of Chinese tourists, Farangs will be all undesiderable. Wait and see.

laugh.png

You need to go lie down, pal.

• Like 2

all those off shore oil workers, that will be a big problem soon... or time to get the right visa... as they say

So what is the "right visa" for us rotational workers?

As far as I know there is no visa options that covers a 28/28, 35/35 or 42/42 shift pattern.

all those off shore oil workers, that will be a big problem soon... or time to get the right visa... as they say

As far as I know there is no visa options that covers a 28/28, 35/35 or 42/42 shift pattern.

Are you married to a Thai national or has a child with a Thai national?

If yes, then the Non Immigrant O is the correct type.

• Like 1

Are you married to a Thai national or has a child with a Thai national?

If yes, then the Non Immigrant O is the correct type.

No wifey, no kids.

Then indeed you might have a little problem, but the one thing I find strange to understand is that at first they where talking about the back to back tourist visa and exemption.

But do they actually mention somewhere how much time there should be between out and back in then?

Then indeed you might have a little problem, but the one thing I find strange to understand is that at first they where talking about the back to back tourist visa and exemption.

But do they actually mention somewhere how much time there should be between out and back in then?

This is the grey area. What is the actual gap between coming in and out?

I just returned from an overseas vacation. I have non-immigrant B visa in my passport but the immigration officer still took about 5 minutes scrutinizing my passport flipping every page to see where I had been etc. He never said a word but finally stamped me in. Its not only Immigration that's taking precautions, its all government agencies which are now taking orders from the Military.

The PE visa seems to be ideal.

5 year multi entry.

Price is 500 thou.

• Like 1

The PE visa seems to be ideal.

5 year multi entry.

Price is 500 thou.

For me that would work out to 16667Thb extra for every 28 days in country.

A bit to pricey for me to be honest, I am personally thinking about relocating either to Vietnam or Cambodia now.

The way I see it, based on information made public in news reports, it would be

• for 28/28: visa-exempt entry (depending on your nationality)
  • for 35/35 and 42/42: tourist visa

The way I see it, based on information made public in news reports, it would be

• for 28/28: visa-exempt entry (depending on your nationality)
  • for 35/35 and 42/42: tourist visa

I've been doing the 28/28 visa exempt for years. I fly out swampy on Sunday. I'm not sure they would let me back in next time despite an immigration officer saying I'll be ok as long as I have my daughters birth Certs etc with me on return

the offshore workers are an interesting case as usually they wouldn't need visa runs to be able to enter the country on a excempt visa stamp. However they do enter the country say 4 or 5 times a year for around 25 days each time.

So what if this person, like some offshoreworkers do, has two passports and always uses the same passport travelling in and out of Thailand. If the next time he enters Thailand he uses the other passport, with no Thai immigration stamps, will he still encounter problems, or does the officer allow you in without questions asked?

the offshore workers are an interesting case as usually they wouldn't need visa runs to be able to enter the country on a excempt visa stamp. However they do enter the country say 4 or 5 times a year for around 25 days each time.

So what if this person, like some offshoreworkers do, has two passports and always uses the same passport travelling in and out of Thailand. If the next time he enters Thailand he uses the other passport, with no Thai immigration stamps, will he still encounter problems, or does the officer allow you in without questions asked?

I am going back to UK to get my second passport when I finish my next hitch offshore. I was going to do this anyway before this kicked off. But, I'm pretty sure it won't make any diff at immigration as the biometric passports will surely show up you in and outs no matter what passport you use?

I am going back to UK to get my second passport when I finish my next hitch offshore. I was going to do this anyway before this kicked off. But, I'm pretty sure it won't make any diff at immigration as the biometric passports will surely show up you in and outs no matter what passport you use

But if that is true, then I don't understand why so many people here say things like "the immigration officer went through all my pages counting the stamps" and so on.

• Like 1

But if that is true, then I don't understand why so many people here say things like "the immigration officer went through all my pages counting the stamps" and so on.

I know what you mean mate. Let's be honest, the reality is we don't have the first clue what's going to happen. There's been nothing concrete posted on here yet (as far as I can see) for us rotation workers

I have roughly 30 days to sit and read TV and see what happens. Luckily my daughter has her UK and Thai passport now (she's 6) and the Mtd has her UK tourist visa. I am not married.

My plan as it stands right now is do my 28 offshore. Go to Scotland. Get my second passport, get. Tripple entry visa in a fresh new pp. Fly back to LOS, get married then get the marriage visa.

I do to want to chance a thing and jeopardise being able to come and go as I have the lat 10 years

I know what you mean mate. Let's be honest, the reality is we don't have the first clue what's going to happen. There's been nothing concrete posted on here yet (as far as I can see) for us rotation workers

I have roughly 30 days to sit and read TV and see what happens. Luckily my daughter has her UK and Thai passport now (she's 6) and the Mtd has her UK tourist visa. I am not married.

My plan as it stands right now is do my 28 offshore. Go to Scotland. Get my second passport, get. Tripple entry visa in a fresh new pp. Fly back to LOS, get married then get the marriage visa.

I do to want to chance a thing and jeopardise being able to come and go as I have the lat 10 years

Indeed, no-one knows, and even then I am a bit sceptical on some reports made by certain people. I remember many many years ago, a rule was publicised that you could only stay 90 out of 180 consecutive days in Thailand on a tourist via or excempt stamps. The rule was never enforced as far as I know. We wait and see. If I am not allowed back in Thailand (and I arrive middle August, I will be disappointed sure, but luckily I don't own anything in LOS, and I have property in my home country to go back to at any given time!

Edited by Enjoyurlife

Indeed, no-one knows, and even then I am a bit sceptical on some reports made by certain people. I remember many many years ago, a rule was publicised that you could only stay 90 out of 180 consecutive days in Thailand on a tourist via or excempt stamps. The rule was never enforced as far as I know. We wait and see. If I am not allowed back in Thailand (and I arrive middle August, I will be disappointed sure, but luckily I don't own anything in LOS, and I have property in my home country to go back to at any given time!

The situation is different now - this is the army in charge and there is no opposition or other authority to challenge this.

The situation is different now - this is the army in charge and there is no opposition or other authority to challenge this.

Ohhhh

Exactly. There's a different "tone" to this. A mate of mine who's a "teacher" said to me," I'll be alright, my boss is very influential" He's here as a "consultant"

My gut feeling is these people that did have influence, no longer have it