Refused entry at Swampy for 20 minutes

---------------------

There is no "perfect" solution to such a problem,

But best solution is:

• Get legitimate by marrying.
  • Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".
You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

Other people have gone through the process, it is possible.

How would somebody on a 30 day rotation be able to get an extension of stay based upon marriage?. It is not feasible.

And why even mention reports of staying longer than 90 days when they would probably never be here that long.

The best option if married is to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

Ubonjoe, why would being on rotation make any difference?

If you are married to a Thai, you can apply for a marriage extension, or if you are old enough, you can apply for a retiree extension, with the proper paperwork to secure a 90 day non-imm visa. The B3800 fee for multiple-entry would allow the rotational worker to come and go for a year, no matter the rotational interval. And, if the interval was greater than 90 days, then sure, they would have to do a 90 day report.

Is that not so?

If the reports of oil and gas guys not being able to use the visa waiver 30 day entry's are correct then this will cause a lot problems for a lot people.

I work in oil and gas, but do not have a rotation. This time off I am waiting for a new contract to start so I will be going back the the UK to get a tourist visa (this will be my first one) as I plan to have 5 or 6 weeks off.

I hope this will be ok to enter Thailand. I have only got 3 x 30 day visa waiver stamps in my passport this year, and 2 of the entries were for less than 8 days.

I have a work visa for Malaysia, the new contract is for the same company, so my visa is still valid.

If the tourist visa is still not good enough then I will have to look at the 5 year elite card. Or I will just wait till next year when I reach 50.

I am not legally married so the married visa is not an option.

FD

If you can get a triple entry tourist visa and time things right, then you can get 9 months on those, convert to a non O in Thailand and then get your extension when you reach 50.

Hi watso63,

Yes that is what I was thinking also.

I am going back to the UK in 2 weeks get the 3 entry tourist visa and come back to Thailand on the 10th August. I will stay until my next contract starts, about 3 or 4 weeks.

The only problem will be that I have to go back to work in Malaysia, contract is about 8 months, and the time off will be only short breaks of 3 or 4 days.

I may need to get another tourist visa next year, so I hope that it will not be considered as back to back.

I will not be 50 until mid August next year, so although this is inconvenient just now, it is not a total disaster (well I hope not). Once I turn 50 I will get the retirement visa and the extension to stay with the multi exit permit.

FDsmile.png

Also.. Guys on Phuket who work rotation have asked immigration if they can still use visa exempt when out of the country 30 days and told no. They will need a 'proper visa' without any definition of what that proper visa is.

Depending in their specific situation, maybe there isn't one. Maybe they should just look to spend their down time in Cambodia, Malaysia, Bali, or the Philippines...all nice tropical Asian countries like Thailand. It's not exactly the end of the world.

• Like 1

If the reports of oil and gas guys not being able to use the visa waiver 30 day entry's are correct then this will cause a lot problems for a lot people.

I work in oil and gas, but do not have a rotation. This time off I am waiting for a new contract to start so I will be going back the the UK to get a tourist visa (this will be my first one) as I plan to have 5 or 6 weeks off.

I hope this will be ok to enter Thailand. I have only got 3 x 30 day visa waiver stamps in my passport this year, and 2 of the entries were for less than 8 days.

I have a work visa for Malaysia, the new contract is for the same company, so my visa is still valid.

If the tourist visa is still not good enough then I will have to look at the 5 year elite card. Or I will just wait till next year when I reach 50.

I am not legally married so the married visa is not an option.

FD

If you can get a triple entry tourist visa and time things right, then you can get 9 months on those, convert to a non O in Thailand and then get your extension when you reach 50.

Hi watso63,

Yes that is what I was thinking also.

I am going back to the UK in 2 weeks get the 3 entry tourist visa and come back to Thailand on the 10th August. I will stay until my next contract starts, about 3 or 4 weeks.

The only problem will be that I have to go back to work in Malaysia, contract is about 8 months, and the time off will be only short breaks of 3 or 4 days.

I may need to get another tourist visa next year, so I hope that it will not be considered as back to back.

I will not be 50 until mid August next year, so although this is inconvenient just now, it is not a total disaster (well I hope not). Once I turn 50 I will get the retirement visa and the extension to stay with the multi exit permit.

FDsmile.png

Just keep up with the tourist visas. You are in and out via air. Costs a bit of money, but a safer bet than VOA at the present time. I'm sure you will be fine.

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

But best solution is:

• Take the time to get a so-called "marriage visa". (an extension of your stay by marriage to a Thai). This will allow you to stay for one year in Thailand at a time.
  • At the same time you get this "marriage visa" get a one year multiple entry re-entry permit for 3900 Baht.
  • The re-entry permit is good for the one year period of your "marriage visa" and will allow you unlimited multi entries with that "marriage visa".

You will have ro be careful with getting the required 90 day reporting, and making sure that the marriage visa is renewed every year on time.

But it is possible to do, if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done.

"get married" to fix a visa problem... OMG... I can't believe some of those posts here on TV...

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 1

I am an avid reader of Thai Visa, and must admit to now being acutely worried about Thailand's new apparent Visa policy.

I love Thailand and visit very often, then many years ago my family decided to buy a holiday house in Samui, which I sold just a couple of months ago, deciding to build on a new development with a definite 'wow' factor. I genuinely come to Thailand as a tourist because I like the country and way of life. I have never overstayed and have one recent border run in my passport, due to difficulties of travel during the Curfew period. I have many friends in Thailand

and am looking forward to the new holiday house being built on Samui, but I am so worried now I am seriously considering cancelling everything and visiting Thailand only occasionally as a holiday destination from time to time, rather than my regular and frequent venue. I am of retirement age but still work in the U.K. in medical research and have some books published in BKK, but not written there. I do not have the capital requirements mentioned for a more permanent Visa, nor do I want one.

Am I the kind of target that Immigration is now likely to scrutinize and possibly refuse entry after an 11,000 Km flight? Should I abandon ideas of visiting Thailand as often as I have done up to now?

I would welcome sensible advice rather than scaremongering stories and anecdotes.

I posted already in another thread.. An oil and gas mate of mine just relayed that one of his friends was denied entry at Swampy.. Also an oil and gas worker returning on a rotation.

Its not a direct friend, so I would still call it a a strong rumor, but its an actual mate of a mate, not some vague "I heard" etc.. The tale as it was told was he was denied entry and had to book his own flight out of the country. How he managed to check into a flight, without clearing immigration, I have no idea.

Arrival by air, not an out in but returning from a rotation, oil and gas.. Think this was day before yesterday.

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

But best solution is:

It can be done.

"get married" to fix a visa problem... OMG... I can't believe some of those posts here on TV...

" if you have the sense to make staying with your family and child(ren) your main concern.

It can be done."

Exactly what I feared.

---------------------

But best solution is:

It can be done.

Incorrect you can go and come as you please on a marriage Visa.

---------------------

But best solution is:

It can be done.

How would somebody on a 30 day rotation be able to get an extension of stay based upon marriage?. It is not feasible.

And why even mention reports of staying longer than 90 days when they would probably never be here that long.

Why get a none o visa? You can leave and come as you please, you just have to notify to leave.

I think perhaps the front line immigration officers are not that well trained and simply do what they are told. If you are from a country where Thailand has a treaty for 30 day visa on arrival (by air), they shouldn't refuse because it may be violating the international agreement. Perhaps they could amend the 30 day visa for business travelers and oilfield workers requiring a 3-4 weekday stay out of country before reentry which would screw-up the illegal workers.

I don't know about other countries, but this is the notice on the US Embassy - Bangkok website and gives no indication that denial of re-entry is in any way a violation of a bilateral or international agreement of which the US and Thailand are parties:

7 JULY 2014 ... The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry.

Yes, there are many countries that will permit someone travelling on a US (or European or Canadian or ...) passport to enter for a short stay without the need for a visa. That doesn't mean that they MUST allow everyone carrying one of the passports to enter. Every country retains the right to refuse entry to any individual it decides is "undesirable" for one reason or another. No country would sign away that right. And every country expects its immigrations officers to ask questions, look at passports, etc and to make a decision whether or not to admit individuals.

i think the fact you had your daughter's birth certificate swung it: It shows you have good reason for being long term in the country. Once you get the correct visa, you should be fine.

if you have a thai child or a wife in Thailand they can not stop you from entering the country, it is against thai law,

you can go out and come back every day

i think the fact you had your daughter's birth certificate swung it: It shows you have good reason for being long term in the country. Once you get the correct visa, you should be fine.

if you have a thai child or a wife in Thailand they can not stop you from entering the country, it is against thai law,

you can go out and come back every day

Sorry, not true. They can and will if you don't have the correct visa.

Is it not clear by now that thailand does not want immigrants unless they are willing

to learn and write thai language,not take work from thais,behave,have money in the bank (so no trouble

is expected,like stealing ,frauding.........)Commitment ,like marriage and children .....Short ,they want only quality immigrants.

I can't blame them !

Some people use the country for much other reasons ,ex.as a hide away with black money ,as hide away with no money (mostly),

as cheap solution in combination with offshore work.............hundreds of more reasons.

Well thailand does not like this ,and is finally applying the rules ,nothing more .

I hope my country does it too ! There would not be a huge immigration problem .

In this world you can not live where you want ,it is not a free to stay where you want ,your passport

decides where you belong.Globalisation is only for big money/ business ,not for ordinary people .

Wake up ,thailand is no longer a cheap solution for carefree living.

Funny how it changes, doesn't it? I think Thailand has opened its' borders far too much. Many seedy people come in and scam people, and not saying Thai's are angels mind you. Just depends where you are and where you go...

Actually I am glad they had the coup, we need some normality in life, a charted course.. Personally I haven't been back in 8 years, it was terrible last time I was there. My wife is there now, and wants to come home now, sent her there 2 months, and she is hating it, I did do an ice breaker though. I took my wife to Ubon, where I resided for time, and she could not believe how many people I knew. And this was from many years previous. Her family got on my nerves a bit. So is why I took her to Ubon, yes and she learned a lot there. Different areas have different ideals. Just a thought. Keeping peace is a different way, than it used to be.

Kerry

I arrived a few hours ago. Have a Non-O(A) multi-entry visa that is valid for another 10 days. The lady at Swampy stamped me for........another 10 days ! Derp !

I was planning on renewing the Visa next week anyways, but now it's a little more urgent. I thought she'd give me 90 days (at least). By the time I realized it I was already at the luggage carousel and 3 plane loads of people (all flights from the Middle East) had just started filling the queues so I decide to just deal with it on Monday instead.

But - no hassles ! Even though there are numerous 30 day stamps (from the couple years prior to my first Non-OA visa), she didn't say a thing (having the proper visa obviously helped) and no mention of overstay or new rules.

Now I just got to remember what all I need to gather (besides the letter from the bank) ! Got to make a list one day and post it next to my screen so I don't have to scratch my head balder every year trying to make sure I have everything ready before the next extension expires !

• Like 1

This crackdown is not revenue orientated, otherwise why not charge 1000 baht for a tourist Visa as all other surrounding countries do?

The revenue would be immense, and there would be immediate tangible evidence of entry and length of stay allowed, and might just deter a few abusers of the system?

Help the forum by telling us which type of visa you arrived on.

Glad to hear you were eventually admitted entry, and congratulations on getting custody of your child.

He arrived on 30 day stamps...... no visa....

I arrived a few hours ago. Have a Non-O(A) multi-entry visa that is valid for another 10 days. The lady at Swampy stamped me for........another 10 days ! Derp !

I was planning on renewing the Visa next week anyways, but now it's a little more urgent. I thought she'd give me 90 days (at least). By the time I realized it I was already at the luggage carousel and 3 plane loads of people (all flights from the Middle East) had just started filling the queues so I decide to just deal with it on Monday instead.

But - no hassles ! Even though there are numerous 30 day stamps (from the couple years prior to my first Non-OA visa), she didn't say a thing (having the proper visa obviously helped) and no mention of overstay or new rules.

Now I just got to remember what all I need to gather (besides the letter from the bank) ! Got to make a list one day and post it next to my screen so I don't have to scratch my head balder every year trying to make sure I have everything ready before the next extension expires !

why should she give you more then 10 days ?

was it an extension or a visa sticker ?

I have lived in Chiang Mai with my wife for the last 14 years.

I am a freelance engineer (offshore ltd. co.), and work contracts outside Thailand.

Sometime out for just a few days, sometimes two months or so.

Never work in Thailand.

First 4 years I used visa exempt entry.

Then the rules for a ticket out of Thailand were hardened, (and I never new when/where I was going next) so I obtained Non-O from Hull every year.

Until last year, when Hull went pear shaped and I used Birmingham with no problem.

Applying for a year extension based on marriage or "retirement" (I am over 60) is, I believe not possible as I understand once the app is in, you have to stay until it is granted.

I need to be able to leave within a day's notice, part of the job.

As long as I can ensure a 'window' in my work commitments to allow me to get to UK at about the time my Non-O expires, all is good, even if I now have to travel to London for the visa.

The problem is, I had always assumed that if I was out on a job when my Non-O expired, I could always enter Thailand on a visa exempt, then on to UK to renew my Non-O.

Seems that option may now be closed.

As far as I know, everything I have done so far re visa is legit.

This is not a whinge or complaint. Just telling my story for what it is woth.

Retirement is granted same day.....the money must have been seasoned though. Marriage needs waiting.

You may be able to get the stamp corrected SHe should have given a whole year. (Unless you have allready stayed more than a year and had not got a re-entry visa.

You were entitled to 90 days; the visa was - is - still valid.

---------------------

But best solution is:

It can be done.

exactly...!

1) biggrin.png you get married...(if you think facepalm.gif it is worth it)

2) whistling.gif you make sure you have a bank account on your name only (not on both, wife and husband) with at least 400 000 baths for 2 mouths before you apply for a year extension

3) rolleyes.gif you apply for a non immigrant o visa in your own country( all visa rules for each countrys are diferent, so check in yours )

4).thumbsup.gif ..... aleluia you can aply now for a year extension visa based on marriage

5).... wai.gif be careful immigration is going to visit you in your house , ask your neibers , the chief of the village, what you do, how you are and how much money you have every mounthcheesy.gif (absurd but they did it with me this mounth), they ask also people you know from town to sign your declaration too.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

1 mounth later you go to get your stamp extension non 0 visa

then ouf......xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gifdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

• Like 1

I am an avid reader of Thai Visa, and must admit to now being acutely worried about Thailand's new apparent Visa policy.

I love Thailand and visit very often, then many years ago my family decided to buy a holiday house in Samui, which I sold just a couple of months ago, deciding to build on a new development with a definite 'wow' factor. I genuinely come to Thailand as a tourist because I like the country and way of life. I have never overstayed and have one recent border run in my passport, due to difficulties of travel during the Curfew period. I have many friends in Thailand

and am looking forward to the new holiday house being built on Samui, but I am so worried now I am seriously considering cancelling everything and visiting Thailand only occasionally as a holiday destination from time to time, rather than my regular and frequent venue. I am of retirement age but still work in the U.K. in medical research and have some books published in BKK, but not written there. I do not have the capital requirements mentioned for a more permanent Visa, nor do I want one.

Am I the kind of target that Immigration is now likely to scrutinize and possibly refuse entry after an 11,000 Km flight? Should I abandon ideas of visiting Thailand as often as I have done up to now?

I would welcome sensible advice rather than scaremongering stories and anecdotes.

The only sensible advice you are going to get is that no one knows. Your travel profile and mine are similar, and there will be many more like us who regard Thailand as a primary vacation location.

We seem to have been swept up in the same net as the "illegals" - and as unfair as it is we'll just need to live with it until the dust settles.

Setting aside we regular genuine tourists, I do think its beyond ridiculous that the oil trade guys are being pulled into this. I can't think of many countries in the world that wouldn't love people making a fortune elsewhere arriving to spend their hard-earned cash on a thirty day splurge before leaving again.

M*E*N*T*A*L

Thanks to the OP for the information , I'm flying in next wednesday form Malaysia and was taking my work contract and bank statements, now Ive asked the missus to scan and send my custody papers for the kids and their birth certs and ID , anymore and I'll be taking a filing cabinet for my carry on

---------------------

But best solution is:

It can be done.

exactly...!

1) biggrin.png you get married...(if you think facepalm.gif it is worth it)

2) whistling.gif you make sure you have a bank account on your name only (not on both, wife and husband) with at least 400 000 baths for 2 mouths before you apply for a year extension

3) rolleyes.gif you apply for a non immigrant o visa in your own country( all visa rules for each countrys are diferent, so check in yours )

4).thumbsup.gif ..... aleluia you can aply now for a year extension visa based on marriage

5).... wai.gif be careful immigration is going to visit you in your house , ask your neibers , the chief of the village, what you do, how you are and how much money you have every mounthcheesy.gif (absurd but they did it with me this mounth), they ask also people you know from town to sign your declaration too.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

1 mounth later you go to get your stamp extension non 0 visa

then ouf......xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gifdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Hmmmm........Anyone had any other experiences about when immigration show up at our house? I remember reading in another thread a while ago that they don't even bother turning up........

I'm like a broken record - I was also subjected to the same scrutiny due to having too many visa-exempt stamps at CM airport.

This is the reason why I worry about the advice being given to the oil trade workers that they will be okay - there's going to be trouble ahead.

I think the OP probably had several same day turnaround exempt entries not being gone for 30 days at a time.

With a bit of luck he'll return and clarify.

In my case I've only ever done one in-out on visa exempt, and one in-out to activate the second part of my tourist visa. To me, and I can't blame them for doing this, immigration are just noticing a forest of visa-exempt stamps in the passport then becoming immediately sticky.

The OP and myself managed to talk our way in, he with his daughters birth cert, and me by providing a copy of my onward flight. Anyone showing up with a history of visa-exempts etc should arm themselves with additional documents such as employment contracts overseas, return flight tickets etc just to be on the safe side.

It's quite unfair they look at your past record when visa exempt was OK. They punish you for NOT breaking any law.

In the meanwhile the law breaker and visa abusers will all be inside and laughing with their ED,O,Business visas.

I have a question, how many days outside is considered a I/O ?

If i entry on a double entry visa, i stay 60 days and than i go to Australia 1 week and come back and entry with the second visa, is this considered an I/O ?

For me it is not, because my 1 week in Sydney would be a vacation !

But since Thais seem to hate genuine long term tourists who are most affected, I guess i will be seen as "suspicious".

Why don't plainly ban tourism ? It would be less hypocrital, they clearly hate foreigners , at least this would be in line with their thoughs.

I would like to get the most appropriate visa. I don't work, I have money, I just come to Thailand 7 or 8 times a year for a few weeks each time. Once in Thailand all I really do Is loaf around, but I do spend money on hotels, mostly 4 or 5 stars, and restaurants and bars etc. But basically I loaf around. Is there a visa for that, like a loafers visa? I can't really see how I fit into any other category.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand