TAT travel insurance as of July 15th?

hughben

I read this here:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that it is teaming up with several insurance companies to provide travel insurance. Apparently this will begin on July 15th - just 650 baht for coverage of up to 1 million baht. It will be promoted through TAT's 27 offices worldwide.

Does anyone know anymore or have an info on it?

There is nothing I can see on their website.

As Thailand is in a state of Martial law, most insurance for tourists is invalid (but the companies don't mind selling it and not telling their customers directly it is useless), this looks like a viable option - if you know what it covers though.

Surely if they offered it at airports too, it would generate more sales.

As Thailand is in a state of Martial law, most insurance for tourists is invalid

Not true.

Most insurances will have a provision that any damages due to the martial law are not covered.

• Like 1

I was here in BKK when Martial Law and then the Coup took place in May.

I specifically checked with my UK travel insurance broker regarding cover for Thailand - I have an annual worldwide policy with Tokio Marine which covers me for stays of up to 60 days at a time.

My very efficient broker contacted Tokio Marine (UK) who confirmed to me by email that cover is only withdrawn if the FCO (UK government Foreign & Commonwealth Office) issues an advisory against travel. As the UK has not advised against travel to Thailand (except to the far south and the border dispute areas), there's no issue as far as Tokio Marine (UK) is concerned with the current situation in Bangkok or Korat where my lovely wife is from. As I say, I have this in writing in the form of an email.

My policy was an expensive "5 star" type policy so maybe the position is different for those with cheaper or "no-frills" insurance? I can only comment on my own case. But maybe people who are unsure can contact their own insurers and at least get something in writing?

• Like 1

As Thailand is in a state of Martial law, most insurance for tourists is invalid

Not true.

Most insurances will have a provision that any damages due to the martial law are not covered.

Marshall Law, Thailand is not under Marshall Law any more.

Martial law is the imposition of military power over designated regions on an emergency basis.

Bangkok: Thailand's military junta has hinted at the possibility of continuing martial law for the duration of the interim charter, which is expected to last about a year, media reports said Friday.

I think you will find this more accurate than what shaurene posted.

• Like 1

Not true.

Marshall was US secretary of State and initiated the Marshall plan to help the European nations after 2nd world war. I really don't think he had anything to do with travel insurance to Thailand or Thai law.

@ the OP: there have been rumours or travel insurance plans for a long time already. As far as I know there are no set plans though.

Edited by stevenl

Not true.

Martial law is still in effect although authorities are instructed to first enforce normal laws for most crimes.

Not true.

Marshall was US secretary of State and initiated the Marshall plan to help the European nations after 2nd world war. I really don't think he had anything to do with travel insurance to Thailand or Thai law.

@ the OP: there have been rumours or travel insurance plans for a long time already. As far as I know there are no set plans though.

That reminds me.

My Korat in-laws have asked me to bring back some marshall (sic) mallows and chocolate covered Brazil nuts when I come back from a 4 week UK break in September. These are in addition to the usual Yorkshire tea bags and Harry Ramsden mushy peas! Finger lickin' good!

• Like 1

That reminds me.

My Korat in-laws have asked me to bring back some marshall (sic) mallows and chocolate covered Brazil nuts when I come back from a 4 week UK break in September. These are in addition to the usual Yorkshire tea bags and Harry Ramsden mushy peas! Finger lickin' good!

"Harry Ramsden mushy peas! Finger lickin' good!"

I don't think you're supposed to eat mushy peas with your fingers. Learn to use chopsticks.

peastouse-300x225.jpg1.chopsticks, 2. peas, 3. waiting for mushification

Edited by Suradit69

Not true.

The curfew was lifted not the martial law.

That reminds me.

"Harry Ramsden mushy peas! Finger lickin' good!"

I don't think you're supposed to eat mushy peas with your fingers. Learn to use chopsticks.

peastouse-300x225.jpg1.chopsticks, 2. peas, 3. waiting for mushification

The chopsticks are great for the Marshall mallows too. But not so good with the Yorkshire teabags :)

The intention of TAT to have tourists cover themselves with a travel insurance is laudable. But it must not be seen as a move to drum up business for the selected insurance companies. Most tourists would already have bought some cover for themselves in their home country. They shouldn't need a second cover, and TAT should never force another on them.

On the Urban Nomads travel insurance site, there is some info:

Now’s the time to go and read your policy documents because it depends on where you're from and which underwriter covers you (sorry, it's complicated). However, generally - Military coups are a general exclusion (we'll explain that below) – which means anything that happens to you because of the coup IS NOT COVERED, but everything else IS as normal.

So, fall over and break a leg – you’re covered. Miss a flight because the public transport system is closed – sorry, not covered.

Your bag gets stolen from your hotel – no change to your cover. Your hotel is locked down by the military and you have to pay to move to a new one – again, not covered.

so if indeed you buy this insurance, what is covered and for how long?

does it cover accidents,illness, lost luggage, doctor visits???WHAT....obviously one would think a one week policy would cost less than a three month tourist?...or is it 650 baht regardless? It would be nice if TAT would announce at least the most basic details.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that it is teaming up with several insurance companies to provide travel insurance. Apparently this will begin on July 15th - just 650 baht for coverage of up to 1 million baht. It will be promoted through TAT's 27 offices worldwide.

Hi,

TAT will help promote travel insurance from three insurance companies like Muang Thai Insurance, Chao Phaya Insurance and Siam City Insurance.It will help foreign travellers who want to visit Thailand but cant buy travel insurance as the country is under martial law.