High-speed train project continues with the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route

webfact

Previously phase-2 was just a dream, supposed to be built by private-enterprise, now it will open just two years after phase-1 is operating ? whistling.gif

It will be interesting to peruse the financial-plans for either part of the project, personally I don't expect to be travelling on high-speed trains in Thailand, anytime soon. wink.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can buy the abandoned high speed trains from the dutch Fyra project for a real bargain in Italy now. The issue of no snow resistance will be less of a problem in Thailand. Travelling from Suvarnabhumi Airport to the city gives a view to another historic big infrastructure plan never completed.

I opposed the high speed rail especially to Chiang Mai, when air travel in 1 hour or so for the same price.

So now I will say my piece, I am opposed to the high speed links to anywhere. Double standard rail-passenger-freight -double tracks-UK style enough for 20 years.

So my take is bash where needed I think this decision is wrong.

PTP and army wrong.

I agree with you completely. Thailand does NOT need a high speed train. Get dual track standard guage trains operational FIRST.

This is the second bad decision by the junta today. The first was giving Yingy the green light to leave the country. You just know she ain't returning.

• Like 1

What is high speed in Thailand?

It is a move forward, but first, we have twin track to Nakhon Sawan at metre guage.

The expected time to high speed to Pitsanoluk is 2026 I hope this is going to be standard guage.

The prices quoted I assume is what they think are based on todays prices, I would not hold them to it, its a best guess and we know it will be more, as far as the plane is concerned, well the plane will be quicker but with the train you just turn up and go, no hanging about before you board and it will be more city centre to centre.

I am of course pro rail, a very civilized way to travel.

The first time I took the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was in 1969. The scenery was beautiful no doubt. Also, I will never forget peeking out my curtains on my sleeper and seeing a drunk man walking around wielding a knife. Seventeen hours is a long ride!

Something needs to be done with mass transportation in an attempt to get buses and vans off the road, make travel easier, cheaper, greener, etc. Trains offer the best alternative. There is the whole issue of the ASEAN connectivity plans as well.

I thought the original plans for the trains call for completion before 2026. Should start with Bangkok-Pattaya, Bangkok-Hua Hin as priorities and work on the long hauls after.

High speed raillines need to be long distance.

A short line, for example, Bangkok to Pattaya, is not long enough for the train to reach high speed.

A HSL from Bangkok to Nong Khai, with halts at Korat, Khon Kaen and Udon will be the best bet to start with.

Bangkok-Chiang Mai will be a loss making business, always!

• Like 2

I opposed the high speed rail especially to Chiang Mai, when air travel in 1 hour or so for the same price.

So now I will say my piece, I am opposed to the high speed links to anywhere. Double standard rail-passenger-freight -double tracks-UK style enough for 20 years.

PTP and army wrong.

I agree with you completely. Thailand does NOT need a high speed train. Get dual track standard guage trains operational FIRST.

This is the second bad decision by the junta today. The first was giving Yingy the green light to leave the country. You just know she ain't returning.

Dual track standard gauge?

Dual track metre gauge would be nice to start with.

I would dearly love to see the construction engineers plan to have a train wind through mountains at high speed. Looking forward to some ghastly headlines of entire trains going off the mountain. Have the NCPO finally succumbed to the lure of personal enrichment at the expense of the taxpayers?

Finally? What do you mean? The lottery giants here are, in one big case, military owned. See what's been done about it? They cut out the little guys, and threw more meat to the dragon instead. FInally? FInally since thirty years ago.

I would dearly love to see the construction engineers plan to have a train wind through mountains at high speed. Looking forward to some ghastly headlines of entire trains going off the mountain. Have the NCPO finally succumbed to the lure of personal enrichment at the expense of the taxpayers?

Finally? What do you mean? The lottery giants here are, in one big case, military owned. See what's been done about it? They cut out the little guys, and threw more meat to the dragon instead. FInally? FInally since thirty years ago.

Finally? What do you mean?

I didn't use the word 'finally' so I have no idea what your question is.

FInally? FInally since thirty years ago.

Please be more specific as I haven't a clue what you are referring to that happened 30 years ago.

PTP and army wrong.

I agree. This is bizarre planning. Why only this line and not others. I think a little checking about which companies stand to profit from this is in order.

• Like 2

I'm flabbergasted. I was sure that was a dead duck. I am almost looking for a retraction tomorrow because someone mis-understood something and thought that it was all go & rushed out a press release. Chiangmai will never make money. Nongkhai was the only line worth considering and that at some point in the future after upgrading the lines & signals, completing the double tracking & buying new rolling stock for normal rail. I have to say I don't think we have heard the last chapter today on this decision.

That means i will be dead by the time they get it operating,would have loved

to see it hurtling through the Thai country side,BUT what about road crossings

how are they going to solve that problem,as i am sure they will be many drivers,

like today who think they can beat the train !

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

High speed raillines need to be long distance.

A short line, for example, Bangkok to Pattaya, is not long enough for the train to reach high speed.

I agree with your conclusion, but not with your reason. China has several high speed trains that scoot right along over a very short distance- the Shanghai airport rail probably being the most famous.

I've been up to 310km/hr Tianjin-Beijing many times. 29 minutes to go something like 60+ miles. Beautiful, very fast, very comfortable ride.

The problem is that shaving half the time off the train trip didn't really save much time off the door-door commute. It still took over a 30-60 minute white knuckle taxi ride to get to the Tianjin station, then waiting (generally) another 30-60 minutes for the next available train seat, then another 45-60 minute taxi ride in the horrid Beijing traffic to get anywhere. (Or an even longer ride on the miserably overcrowded Beijing subway)

So the high speed rail really didn't reduce the overall trip time very much at all- (partly because the high speed train uses a station that is 10 miles south of the old Beijing slow speed train station and that added to the door to door time and taxi costs.) What it did do is get me off the deadly roads, and reduce the traffic on those deadly roads, to everyone's benefit.

I'd still love to see decent rail from Downtown to BKK to Pattaya, just to make the trip safer. I don't really care if it's high speed, but if they're starting from scratch, why not?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2026? That's the year SpaceX says it will put humans on Mars.

U beat me to it.. cheesy.gif

2026.. Thai baht vs US$ valued at 3002... whistling.gif

Cars running on roads in tandem, at 200Km/h with laser safety gapping. clap2.gif

Sh!!te is disintegrated by toilet hot flame ass burners instantly (especially nano-tech designed to identify skin and not burn it), as it is dissipated, eliminating the need for bog roll,.

And what's Thailand doing?

I forgot. facepalm.gif ... So did Thailand, as it argues still about democracy and a dead monar... Asian planet.

• Like 1

It is unlikely that Thai generals (incl the Junta leaders) got their (and their wives') lifestyles just on their paltry official salaries.

I'm bemused that people assume that these people must be whiter than white, just because they staged a coup.

It is unlikely that Thai generals (incl the Junta leaders) got their (and their wives') lifestyles just on their paltry official salaries.

I'm bemused that people assume that these people must be whiter than white, just because they staged a coup.

Whiter than white wasn't exactly a good choice of words, was it?

• Like 1

I really don't understand how these high speed rail projects can pay their own way. 1000 baht in today's dollars is not far off what low cost carriers do to Chiang Mai. How can this pay for itself?

I think it is a troll

The working committee of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project phase 2 said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had given the green light to the project to move forward.

What working committee. The original plan the PTP put forth was a three phased plan. The Government would pay for the first leg and private industry would pay for the next two phases.

Now all of a sudden we have a committee that has been working on a completely different version with a ridiculously low price that could not maintain it today much less in 12 years.facepalm.gif

With projects like this their completion price and fares almost always end up much, much higher, especially the final construction cost. But it's easy for current politicians to the blame previous politicians for the gross price under-estimation....and they will also say unforeseen events occurred raising the final price.

Yes like needing to double track it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can't see many foreign contractors falling over themselves to get this job

Sure they will...already many major construction projects, especially BTS projects in Bangkok, comprised of joint foreign-Thai companies.

Would that be Ital-Thai by any chance . many major rail companies are scared of getting their fingers burnt. Actually it will be the civeils that costs the money

The original idea of from Malaysia to Lao was put forth as a joint effort between Thailand and China. They had three nations interested in building it.

China. Japan and France. France dropped out as the price would be way to high to maker it a profitable venture.

I see no way where things have changed cost wise except to go up. this has to be a troll.

Completely disagree with this move by the Junta.

If Thailand cannot maintain slow speed trains they they won't be able to maintain high speed trains and the consequences will be disastrous.

Well China I know has a good high-speed train network, and I'm sure they're partly behind this (isn't the goal to have high-speed rail all the way from Kunming to Singapore? as part of the "Asia for Asians" Chinese domination doctrine) but they are built a bit like plastic (can't say for sure as I am not an engineer but they have that plastic crap look typical of Ch. products) and are loosing money. OTOH this means if you want to travel in Ch. you can do it on subsidized bullet trains (where your trip costs more than the fare you are paying) and if they complete this in the future it will be subsidized travel as well.

Yes China had originally put forth that plan. They had ruled out a extension to Chiang Mai and said Chiang Rai was a more likely candidate for an extension.

how are they going to solve that problem,as i am sure they will be many drivers,

regards worgeordie

That was one of the beautiful points in the Chinese proposed High speed rail through Thailand. They were going to keep it away from cities as much as possible and put in bridges to avoid the highway crossings. Of course their would be Rural road crossings but they would not have the traffic highways do. wai.gif

I really don't understand how these high speed rail projects can pay their own way. 1000 baht in today's dollars is not far off what low cost carriers do to Chiang Mai. How can this pay for itself?

The goal of this project has nothing to do with the feasibility or commercial need for a HSR.

The goal of this project is to make certain influential and wealthy people even wealthier.

And they will certainly accomplish that goal if this project is allowed to continue.

• Like 1

regards worgeordie

Seriously?!?!?

What has every other country in the world that has high speed rail lines done in respect of road crossings?

............They don't have any!

Completely disagree with this move by the Junta.

If Thailand cannot maintain slow speed trains they they won't be able to maintain high speed trains and the consequences will be disastrous.

I do not support this project; however, your comparison is not accurate.

The SRT infrastructure is 50-100 years old and the railcars are 30 years old.

It has been a seriously underfunded & chronically poorly maintained system for many, many decades.

Compare that against completely new technology, tracks, construction practices and trains.

For example, compare the existing the SRT to the SkyTrain.

• Like 1