Army Cracks Down On 'Extortionate' Motorcycle Taxis

Lite Beer

Army Cracks Down On 'Extortionate' Motorcycle Taxis

By Khaosod Eng

BANGKOK — Thailand’s military junta has vowed to curb extortionate and illegal practices by Bangkok's motorcycle taxi drivers, many of whom are considered to be supporters of the previous government.

Maj.Gen. Abhirat Kongsomphong, commander of the 1st Division King's Guard, said yesterday that the military has invited "300-400" motorcycle taxi drivers to a lecture on passenger safety and other traffic issues.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has made regulating and revamping the motorcycle taxi business a top priority since seizing power in a coup d'etat on 22 May. The NCPO has already moved to institute standard prices and enforce proper registration among the motorcycle taxis.

Another issue the NPCO is set on tackling is the selling of “win (station) jackets” to other individuals who are not properly registered, thereby allowing them to pick up passengers at a certain win (station).

"There must strictly be no selling or buying of the win jackets," Maj.Gen. Abhirat said yesterday, "If we discover anyone selling or buying win jackets, they will be struck down from registration database, and prosecuted under the law, because win jackets are given to respective individuals and cannot be sold to anyone else."

Maj.Gen. Abhirat added that more than 120,000 motorcycle taxis have registered with the NCPO. They will be given new set of NCPO-issued jackets by the end of October, Maj.Gen. Abhirat said.

The NCPO is also concerned with "mafia" who extort "protection money" from motorcycle taxis in certain areas, he said. Maj.Gen. Abhirat advised all motorcycle taxis drivers to notify the junta immediately if they encounter such behavior. He added that motorcycle taxi drivers who charge their passengers exorbitant fares will be likewise prosecuted by the NCPO.

"I have instructed a number of undercover officers to inspect all 50 districts [of Bangkok] to determine whether there are still extortionate fares," Maj.Gen. Abhirat said. "They will hire a driver from one win to another place and ask many details in manner to establish whether they follow the laws and regulations. The drivers will never know that these are military officers."

He added, "We are concerned with fairness that the public receives, in accordance with Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, the leader of the NCPO, who wants to return true happiness to the people."

According to a research by Italian scholar Claudio Sopranzetti, there are at least 200,000 motorcycle taxis in Bangkok and there are more trips made on motorcycle taxis per day than on the Skytrain and subway combined.

Mr. Sopranzetti's research indicates that many of the motorcycle taxi drivers hail from the countryside and supported the populist government of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. After Mr. Thaksin was deposed in the 2006 military coup, many of them lent their support to the Redshirt political movement and played a significant role in the 2010 Redshirt protests as demonstrators, transporters, and scouts.

"The motorcycle taxis have to choose whether they are Redshirts or people who simply want to make a living," said Mr. Sopranzetti. "Because the NCPO regulation benefits one identity and damages the other."

According to Mr. Sopranzetti, many Redshirt motorcycle taxi drivers are viewing the NCPO's new regulations pragmatically, welcoming the the crackdown on underground mafia.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1405845326

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-20

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a taxi minimum fare in bkk is always cheaper than a mobike taxi for a short hop ,they usually want 40-50 for the same short hop. i always end up using the taxi for a short hop

Certainly not so where I live. In fact, the motosai guys are alarmingly cheap.

I just checked the distance on google maps and from my house to a point 1.9km away is 15b.

Indeed they should. It saves us money and it breaks another link in Thaksin's chain.

Motorbike taxis are as cheap as anything anyway. I dont see asking the drivers to buy new vests off the NCPO is going to realign their political view, if indeed they are supportive of TS.

I am fully supportive of pushing safety regulations and try and getting them to improve their driving, but in nearly a decade here, i have never really had any problem with motorbike taxis. Occasionally you have to ask them to slow down a bit, but other than that they are cheap, quick and easy way to get from A to B.

I saw a TV program advertised a few weeks back about paramedics that picked up the pieces from people seriously injured or killed while passengers on Bangkok motorbike taxis. It suggested that plenty of people were getting injured and killed while using Bangkok motorbike taxis. While you might not have had any problems doesn't mean that they are safe. It is especially easy for women to fall off the back if the bike makes a sudden move. That would likely result in their head (no helmet) hitting the road at a speed that would kill or seriously injure them

Never been ripped by motorcycle taxis, they have a mafia tax to pay too.

So crack down on the mafia but of course another just comes along when a vacuum is left. Its not really fixable without changing the culture too imo.

Short trips take a regular taxi its always cheaper and a lot less sweaty. Meter only though. And I never ever take a tuk tuk anywhere.

It is interesting all this crackdown lark about red shirts, I just wonder if they really think once political parties are again allowed and people can vote if everyone is going to just vote for the same "correct" option or have "correct thinking"

If not then where on earth do they get the idea there wont be differing opinions and group supporters, colours or otherwise ? its not like people are going to just all going to vote yellow or whatever is preferable by whoever if allowed free choice, or is it going to be there is a right choice and nothing else tolerated ?

These people arnt just going evaporate or stop voting for their champions if allowed to choose.

All very strange.

a taxi minimum fare in bkk is always cheaper than a mobike taxi for a short hop ,they usually want 40-50 for the same short hop. i always end up using the taxi for a short hop

My apt. to BTS On Nut: 7 Baht via songtheow (close to station), 20 Baht via taxi-mo-cy (to BTS escalator), and 50 Baht via taxi (if traffic is not too bad; if heavy traffic, then 70 Baht). The taxi-mo-cy is, by far, the fastest.

• Like 1

I saw the police and army give out new motorsai jackets on 2nd rd in Pattaya yesterday and take a photo wnen they lined up.

I have also seen the sign with the fares written on it for customers.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

"...curb extortionate and illegal practices by Bangkok's motorcycle taxi drivers, many of whom are considered to be supporters of the previous government."

What does being an extortionist have to do with being a supporter of the previous government? Seems the reporter has a bone to pick.

Certainly not so where I live. In fact, the motosai guys are alarmingly cheap.

I just checked the distance on google maps and from my house to a point 1.9km away is 15b.

Similar thing here - 30 THB to get to the MRT 2.5km away. Sometimes at the other end they try to charge 40, but they can be persuaded to accept the 30.

The one and only reason for using a motorbike taxi is because of a traffic jam. In which case, a short hop takes a long time in a taxi. I've never paid more than 80 baht for a motorbike taxi, admittedly for short distances. It may be expensive, but it's worth it for time saved. Free market forces at work.

So what's the big deal over such small money? Focus on safety, sure, but extortionate? Hell, I think they give value for money given time saved.

There must be higher priorities than this surely? But maybe they aren't red shirt supporters. A pity, I hoped the military would be a government for all the people.

What?

If you get on an MC near say a BTS and head down your long home Soi it's 10 baht...

For me from Soi 11 to say Terminal 21 it's 20 baht max...

Simply do the entire transaction in Thai and you get the Thai price. In fact generally do the Thai thing and give them the 10 or 20 baht. As opposed to a normal taxi which requires asking them if they'll deign to take you, then in busy hours discussing the fare ...

MC taxi fares aren't any issue at all