Visa run: share my positive experience at Don Mueang Airport

I ve to share my experience a couple of months ago.

I was on non-imm B visa ( business visa) until May 2014. My return flight (from BKK) was in June 2104.

So I had to make a visarun for only 30 days stamp to avoid overstay. I planned to go to Ranong border but when I ve heard about the crackdown, I ve decided to go to Kuala Lumpur by air and came back the same day ( on Phuket).
At the border, the officer asked me to show my return flight ticket. I didn t have it with me. He insist and called for an other officer. They talk for 1 minute in Thai. I was scared but in the end he put the 30 days stamp.

I came back to my country in Europe for 40 days. I couldn t get the right documents to renew a thai business visa. So I had to make a TR visa as I bought my fly tickets already from July 2014 until May 2015 ( 10 months).
To get my TR visa, I ve been asking some of the following documents :
- return flight ticket ( So I had to buy in advance a ticket to KL for September 2014 - 60 days)
- hotel reservation ( at least half of the duration of my stay in Thailand). OR letter and ID card copy from a thai that host you.
- bank statement if you re unemployed.

If you re requesting multiple entry Tourist Visa. You have to show your plan : hotel reservation or visa to other countries or transport tickets...

It would be helpful if the OP would define "abroad". Does it mean homeland, country near Thailand, far from Thailand, overseas??? I am sure Thai immigration has different scrutiny standards for different countries of origin and this information might be useful. Also, the term "visa run" is used too loosely. It really adds to confusion especially during these days of stricter enforcement. More often then not the term VR is actually used to describe a visa exemption run not an actual visa application submission. I define a VR as a quick trip in and out to a country near Thailand for an actual VISA. I think "border run" better describes an exemption crossing. I would hardly call flying to one's homeland in the UK, for example, a VR. IDK, it just seems like there is a lot of confusion and maybe that has something to do with the lack of conciseness of terminology.

So does anyone think I will have to apply for a Visa as I'm traveling after Aug 12? But for 3 weeks only.. then return to UK

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem for you. As long as you have a ticket out within 30 day arrival.

I've got like 50 or 60 exempt stamps in my last and current passports together with stays anything between 4 days to a full month, but always with a couple of weeks between the next entry. The DM immigration still lets me in without any comments, usually it takes 20 seconds to have it processed. It might help that I'm not dressed as a backpacker/beach bum. Proper shoes, nice trousers and a long-sleeved shirt.

Dressing well has little to do with it. Oftentimes I wear shorts and a t shirt..... same treatment

I've got like 50 or 60 exempt stamps in my last and current passports together with stays anything between 4 days to a full month, but always with a couple of weeks between the next entry. The DM immigration still lets me in without any comments, usually it takes 20 seconds to have it processed. It might help that I'm not dressed as a backpacker/beach bum. Proper shoes, nice trousers and a long-sleeved shirt.

Dressing well has little to do with it. Oftentimes I wear shorts and a t shirt..... same treatment

Some years back I used to dress up well for the initial immigration checkpoint at Don Muang (before Suvarnabhumi opened) but not when traveling overland or via air to/from other countries in the region, or departing from Thailand on the same trip.

I stopped the dressing up part a couple of years later because I figured that as a legitimate tourist with only 1 or later on 2 holidays to Thailand a year, for 2 weeks to max. 3 months at a time including time spent in neighboring countries (usually 3-10 days per country) and wearing clean, but ordinary clothes I didn't think I'd be treated any differently.

Also, the sight of seeing anyone dressed in business attire crossing say any of the Thai-Cambodian checkpoints for example, would just look amusing. The Cambodian side is informal and dusty - nobody needs to wear a suit for traveling overland to/from Cambodia it just makes you look fake, uncomfortable and possibly with something to hide. Also, no Cambodians there would ever dress that way either. Since you probably won't be able to drive the same vehicle across the border (enabling you to wait in your car while immigration processes your paperwork) you'll be spending some time waiting outside in the heat for a taxi or bus on the other side of the border, something best done in light, comfortable clothing.

I do however believe dressing in neat, casual gear is better than looking like you're at the "end of the road". But anything more is unnecessary. With a few exceptions even most smart business travelers arriving on a long flight from abroad would wear casual and comfortable clothing on their flight - then go to their hotel or apartment first to shower and change into their business attire for their meetings. Some might decide to wear business attire just for show for meeting the people who pick them up from the airport, but this is unnecessary and surely their hosts would understand the need to be comfortable and change before any meetings.

So does anyone think I will have to apply for a Visa as I'm traveling after Aug 12? But for 3 weeks only.. then return to UK

Yes Ubonjoe I have a return ticket, it's just because I've read so many things about having a history of visas I've been concerned, I've been out of Thailand for 7 month now, so I'm hoping things are going to be ok for me

Yes Ubonjoe I have a return ticket, it's just because I've read so many things about having a history of visas I've been concerned, I've been out of Thailand for 7 month now, so I'm hoping things are going to be ok for me

Most of what you have read may just be conjecture, Some people have written things that would make you think that visa exempt entries are no longer possible. Don't worry you will have no problem.

Most of what you have read may just be conjecture, Some people have written things that would make you think that visa exempt entries are no longer possible. Don't worry you will have no problem.

Thankyou! :)

You did not have a problem because you have been using tourist visas not going out and back to get visa exempt entries.

i wrote this post because even people using multiple tourist visas were worrying.

They only has to worry if they get a red stamp with this text

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in a refusal of a visa in the future."

"Proofs of residence in Thailand & financial income are required next time"

Has anyone here actually received this red stamp, or do you know for a fact (not hear say) that someone else has?

FWIW ... I flew into BKK last night after being away from Thailand for 4 weeks and had no problem getting stamped into the country on the third visit of my triple-entry tourist visa. I presented immigration with my 9 y.o. American passport that shows scores of entries into Thailand ... dozens of 30-day non-visa entries ... many same-day border runs ... several triple-entry tourist visas ... several single-entry tourist visas ... several visa extensions ... and several overstays.

I'd been worried about being rejected but all went very well. Hopefully this will continue. However, last night's entry was very different than any others I've done. I've flown business class into Thailand many times, but for some unknown reason to me, this trip Thai Air upgraded me to first class. Thus I arrived at the VIP immigration section in a golf-cart shuttle along with a Thai Air official. However, I have no idea if this had any effect on the immigration officer.

BTW & FWIW ... I have flown business class on Thai Air many times, and first class a few times on United and Air France, but I must say that last nights first-class service and experience ... in a very newly configured plane ... was by far the best I have ever experienced in all of the hundreds of flights I've done in the past 40 years.

Edited by HerbalEd

You did not have a problem because you have been using tourist visas not going out and back to get visa exempt entries.

i wrote this post because even people using multiple tourist visas were worrying.

They only has to worry if they get a red stamp with this text

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which may result in a refusal of a visa in the future."

"Proofs of residence in Thailand & financial income are required next time"

Has anyone here actually received this red stamp, or do you know for a fact (not hear say) that someone else has?

I have seen it before in other posts about reaching the limit of visas they will do in Vientiane at the embassy.

Provide what they want and they would do at least for a single entry visas.the next time.

I am on my 3rd back to back 60 day double entry tourist visa all from Vientiane. On my third visa they stamped it in blue ink - Proofs of residence and financial income are required next time. They staple an explanatary note in your passport too but I lost that.

I also met someone at Vientiane embassy last year who had just got her third visa and she got that stamp too.

Edited by Gallstone

I have seen it before in other posts about reaching the limit of visas they will do in Vientiane at the embassy.

Provide what they want and they would do at least for a single entry visas.the next time.

correct ubonjoe.

was a guy getting last visa in laos.

BTW UbonJoe...i know its old, But my friend living beside me her from Norway, was doing TV for years back before they find out he was married. He was told and stamp this eas the last he cut get. He had to get non o next time no more TV. Is this rule still active?