Thailand Travel Shield insurance may be purchased by tourists starting today, Jul 25

webfact

The Medical part............

• Telephone medical advice
  • Medical service provider referral
  • Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation and/or repatriation of mortal remains
  • Guarantee of medical expenses incurred during hospitalization
  • Lost of luggage/passport assistance
What kind of documentation is required to process my claim?

You have to notify and send us the original documents such as medical receipts, receipts, medical certificate and police’s report. You can find full details in insurance policy

I think they should make it mandatory for any one renting a Motor bike in Phuket...................... coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they say tourists can purchase it. But few months ago they talked about make it obligatory to buy it on arrival.

If it's at our own decision it's better because I already have an independant travel disease and rapatriation insurance.

And if tourists are enough stupid to join rallies or protestations it's on their own risk to be wounded or dead ! If tourists avoids the sensitive places they have no risk to have incidents which fall under non accepted terms of european travel insurance policies !

Ask to pay it, is an incitation to go join protestations. As tourists you can join and risk to be wounded, no problem as you just need to subscribe our special thai insurance for extreme political risks !

Edited by Westaurel

"Such threats include riots, terrorism and political turmoil."

But surely everybody says there is no risk here so why is it necessary?

Anyway, doubt if it will have any effect, most travelers will have already booked their holidays for this year and until the political situation changes don't see too many adding Thailand to their list for the coming year(s) either.

You keep on pretending that all the tourists won't come until the "political situation changes".

A report on Bloomberg earlier in the week suggested otherwise. He was basing his comments based on detailed statistics. And your comments are based on what?

Based on the fact that they, the government, lowered the expected arrivals by air for this year by +- 8% and if the runners dont run anymore there would be a decline in tourist numbers. But the most important stat to look at which tells the story is the occupation rate at hotels, which is down from the years before. Its not only the Thai politics that will bring down tourism figures, the world economy is down and is not expected to grow as fast as last year and Chinese that in the past toured SEA is now avoiding Vietnam (RIOTS) and Malaysia (MH 370) this will impact on Thailand as there is a move of these tourist to other countries outside SEA.

This could be a good option for those doing lots of trips here of less than 60 days, 12,000 for the plan 2 for 1 year is good compared to what is offered as cheap health insurance here

Maybe I am misunderstanding the policy, but at the tourism thailand.org site what they describe is not health insurance. Plus, most terms line up with visas available. For example, there is a one-year term for 12,000THB, but actual coverage starts when you are stamped in at immigration and it ENDS when you are stamped out at immigration. So perhaps 90 days? Of course there is no 90 day term available.

If you pay for your airfare with a credit card you probably already have most items covered by this insurance.

hmmm I live here on retirement visa. Seems to cover most normal health insurance areas, but "

• Cover up to 60 days any one trip both in individual trip cover plan and annual cover plan." So new kind of visa runner, now insurance runner every 60 days just to get continued coverage. Shouldn't be stopped/denied entry if have multiple reentry stamp. After all running for insurance not visa... blink.pngw00t.gif

"Such threats include riots, terrorism and political turmoil."

But surely everybody says there is no risk here so why is it necessary?

Anyway, doubt if it will have any effect, most travelers will have already booked their holidays for this year and until the political situation changes don't see too many adding Thailand to their list for the coming year(s) either.

What political situation. I don't get any sense of any kind of threat, that would affect any holiday tourist. If anything Thailand is safer and better run. This military government is like a breath of fresh air. Perhaps for once, something good and lasting that will make Thailand better for all, Thais, Tourists and Emigrants.

OK

getting silly here. (thinking something else but do not want the wrath of MAD.

This is actually the best thing that Thailand could do.

It is something that a lot of countries could consider.

Forget the major disaster or bull crap.

What are teh main problems that tourists have.

Loss of luggage, flight delays, unscheduled changes.

medically it has been discussed time and again that the hospitals (especially Pattaya and Phuket) are slammed with drunk or injured tourists that show up and have to be treated but have no means to make payment.

Personally it makes sense from a government financial sense to put something like this together. Will everyone need the service probably not but then again it will be a pool of money that can be accessed if someone does have an issue.

I can see this becoming a mandatory expense when entering the country because of teh idiots that come here with no funds get drunk and hurt doing stuid things and end up getting treated at hospitals.

Think I am foolish how many people get medical treatment on Koh Phanangan during FULL MOON? How many have the resources to pay for the coverage.

1 year insurance coverage for tourists? Maybe they need to speak to immigration and decide on a common meaning for "tourist" and confirm how long a "tourist" can stay.

I can travel all year round, and are always insured for the first 70 days, to whatever country I travel to, as long I depart from my home country. The premium for all health issues, inpatient, outpatient, accidents and fly back service if necessary is 365THB per year, no matter what kind of visa I travel with.

1 year insurance coverage for tourists? Maybe they need to speak to immigration and decide on a common meaning for "tourist" and confirm how long a "tourist" can stay.

I can travel all year round, and are always insured for the first 70 days, to whatever country I travel to, as long I depart from my home country. The premium for all health issues, inpatient, outpatient, accidents and fly back service if necessary is 365THB per year, no matter what kind of visa I travel with.

I doubt riots and terrorism count.

Why don't people read the link before posting the rubbish????

Usual BS on TV.

I'll help you all.

First link to a summary.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/

From there you can click on "Buy online"

Which takes you to this.

https://online.muangthaiinsurance.com/webapps/mti/BuyInsurance.aspx

And from there you can click on "General conditions" which pulls up

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/General_Condition.pdf

and also "coverages" which will pull up

https://www.siamcityinsurance.com/pdf/Coverages_Detail.pdf

So stop posting uniformed nonsense posts and asking questions based on uninformed nonsense posts until you have read through that lot.

Oh, and you are welcome for the quick lesson in how to get information from the Web.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

OK

getting silly here. (thinking something else but do not want the wrath of MAD.

This is actually the best thing that Thailand could do.

It is something that a lot of countries could consider.

Forget the major disaster or bull crap.

What are teh main problems that tourists have.

Loss of luggage, flight delays, unscheduled changes.

medically it has been discussed time and again that the hospitals (especially Pattaya and Phuket) are slammed with drunk or injured tourists that show up and have to be treated but have no means to make payment.

Personally it makes sense from a government financial sense to put something like this together. Will everyone need the service probably not but then again it will be a pool of money that can be accessed if someone does have an issue.

I can see this becoming a mandatory expense when entering the country because of teh idiots that come here with no funds get drunk and hurt doing stuid things and end up getting treated at hospitals.

Think I am foolish how many people get medical treatment on Koh Phanangan during FULL MOON? How many have the resources to pay for the coverage.

Am I reading it wrong, it states for riots, terrorists etc no mention of health or sickness. No bloody good if it does not cover these things, right.

It looks like Jetski damage is covered!!!

Whooppeeee!

I guess the first question they will ask is, "do you have the Thai insurance policy?".

Clause 9.

"This insurance by this insuring agreement provides cover for personal liability of the Insured as, the Company will

compensate for loss or damage of third party occurred within period of cover during the Insured is traveling in Thailand
which the Insured is legal liability for the amount that the Insured have to responsible but not exceeding the amount
specified in the policy schedule for:
1. Loss of life or injury of third party.
2. Loss or damage to the property of third party."
And the claim will always be for the maximum, 750,000 Baht.
thumbsup.gif

I doubt riots and terrorism count.

That's true, but down here in HDY we don't have riots or terrorism. That only would ruin the supply chain for duty free gas, booze, and smokes.

But I believe that is a very good insurance, and it does not have the limitations like the Thai insurance. I also believe, that one could make a better deal in her/his home country, than in Thailand. The chance to be killed or injured in a car accident is by far much greater than being killed by terrorism and/or riots. A European insurance, which covers your butt for up to one year does cost 47THB a day. That is not expensive either, and one does not have to deal with the limitations of the Thai insurance, though the will refund me up to 12.500 THB for baggage loss. Big deal.

Experience has taught me it's worth having a look at the claim form, as in my experience, this is where you get a real taste of what a company is all about (see my post on unfair pre-approval forms here http://davedub.co.uk/davedub/wordpress/william-russell-withhold-treatment/ for details). I've looked through the claim form, and actually, these guys look a LOT more straight than a certain company I've had experience with - and the cover is a fraction of the price!
In at the claim form it often seems many questions are designed to simply put you off making the claim by making the process just too much hassle or even impossible. This policy's claim form (http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/file/Claim_form.pdf) doesn't look too bad, although they have a couple of minor 'tripwires' to look out for;
- Keep old boarding passes: You will need to keep one of; your original air ticket, e-ticket, boarding pass or certified copy (certified how? Section A)
- Keep receipts (with notes): You will need to be able to remember the payment method (i.e. cash, credit card) you used for each and every lost / stolen item you're claiming for (Section B )
- Be healthy before you start: It's not clear if pre-existing conditions are covered: Pre-existing illness: Yes / No (Section G)
In addition, I'd say the policy probably won't cover you if the doctor deems that there is 'any indication that the condition suffered was due to substance, alcohol or drug abuse' (Section G).
Although I of course do not condone drink driving, the real-world fact is, many, many people end up in hospital because of drink driving, so this particular 'gap' will not be closed and the problem will continue.
But overall, depending on the actual policy wording, if they offered this policy to me as a non 'B' holder I'd snap it up. The claim form looks WAY easier than the one the <bleeps> I'm with now issue out.
- Davedub
Edited by Davedub

Before you all get too excited - and seem to need it explained because you are either too lazy to open the link or are mentally challenged

This insurance covers a maximum stay of 60 days per trip even if you have an annual policy

This is standard for most travel insurance, I get free travel with my bank account but is limited to 60 days with other limitations that a few have also mentioned here

This policy is for tourists only that stay in Thailand for up to 60 days - I will also guess that the 60 days has another clause that defines it as - in any 180 days or similar

Coverage for each trip shall start when the Insured passes the inbound immigration (ID or Passport check point) and carry on until the Insured leaves the outbound immigration ID or Passport check point) in Thailand.

As I am already in Thailand on a non-b visa am I able to purchase the insurance now? If so I guess it would start from when I paid and last for 60 days or when I leave Thailand or which ever comes first.

This may be worthwhile,but there do seem to be some significant exclusions (see terms and conditions).

Exclusions for medical expenses due to accident or sickness
This insurance does not cover any loss or injury arising from/or in consequence of the following causes:
1. The Company will not be responsible for the medical expense of the following sickness.
1.1 Tumor or Cancer
1.2 Hemorrhoids
1.3 Hernias
1.4 Pterygium, Pinguecula, Cataract
1.5 Tonsillectomy or Adenoidectomy
1.6 Stones
1.7 Endometriosis
2. The treatment of chronic symptoms or any sickness, which is pre-existing medical status before the effective date
of this insurance policy including symptom or complication state that might be appeared later.
3. Action of the Insured while under the influence of alcohol, addictive drugs or narcotic drugs to the extent of being
unable to control one's mind. The term 'under the influence of alcohol' incase of having a blood test refers to a
blood/alcohol level of 150 mg percent and over.
4. Suicide or attempted suicide or self-inflicted
5. Miscarriage and abortion
6. Dental treatment, root canal treatment except necessary first aid treatment within 7 days following an accident.
7. Replacement of or new sets of dentures, dental crown, artificial denture.
8. AIDS or illness or injury in consequence of blood test as Virus HIV and others relate with AIDS
9. Any venereal disease, sexual transmitted disease.
10. Contagious diseases or epidemics declared by World Health Organization (WHO) or by government of Thailand
at period time of epidemics.
11. Treatment of detective bodily congenial
12. Treatment or psychopathic condition, insane or symptom of psychoneurosis
13. Treatment for recuperate (relax), health, beauty, skin care including gain and lost weight, Health examination, any
medical expense from accident or sickness not is covered under this Insurance policy
14. Any service charge other than the medical expense such as radio service, TV service, phone calling Newspaper,
special meal (not normal) and other similar expense.
15. All kinds of prosthesis, such as stick, eyeglasses, hearing aid, speech device, all kinds of pacemaker.
16. Medical treatment unrelated to the modern type medicine including alternative medicine, such as acupuncture,
natural therapy, massage, reflexology and chiropractic.
It looks like you had better not come in as an emergency admission with a high blood alcohol level, contract a contagious disease or think you will get payment for treatment connected to a pre-existing condition.
When I saw the mention of covering gaps, I wondered if this was just supplemental insurance. However, it does not look as though there is any requirement to have already bought travel insurance, although if you have there is a condition that you must claim on that policy first.
Edited by citizen33

Disagree - having been in Thailand just prior to coup, with idiots causing random havoc I would think the place is far more safe now. And I'll be back there in two weeks time without any fear.

To me this sounds like extra-ordinary event insurance, How many foreigners are involved and damaged by riot etc ??

Money for old rope, NO health whatsoever, 12,000 for the year if you get hurt during unrest---forget it.

This insurance is to help them (money collected -little paid out) try claiming in Thailand for anything--SORRY a no.

Had this been an insurance for medical/health covering for minor injuries, doctor/AEU, prescriptions. it would have been welcomed.

What happened to the health coverage ?

I think 'accident and sickness' covers health doesnt it? .......and no excesses! UK based travel insurance has huge excesses.

Drawbacks I can see are that if u r covered from entry to exit then baggage lost during flights to and from Thailand would not be covered or being shot down over Ukraine! But I suppose the airline would be responsible for covering this loss.

Also when u have to exit and re-enter on a double or triple entry x 60 day tourist visa, u would not be covered whilst in the neighbouring country, especially if out/in is forbidden.