Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

12 minutes ago, brianinbangkok said:

You would think he could apply based on being married to Thai but I seem to remember that only works for a woman married to a Thai.

The only difference when applying for PR if married to a Thai lady now is a lower salary requirement than others.  If a person can qualify for PR they can also apply for citizenship which has almost the same requirements.

For a woman married to a Thai is easy for them to get citizenship.

• Like 1

The only difference when applying for PR if married to a Thai lady now is a lower salary requirement than others.  If a person can qualify for PR they can also apply for citizenship which has almost the same requirements.
For a woman married to a Thai is easy for them to get citizenship.

Also cost of PR is 100k if married to a Thai. Otherwise its 200k.
If I had to do it again today I would indeed skip PR and go for citizenship. That was not possible 10 years ago. Today it is and its much cheaper also.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, regedit said:

Once you have PR are you able to be out of the country for more than 1 year at a time, since the single/multiple entry visa is only good for 1 year ?

If you are out of the country for more than a year you loose your PR status.

• Like 2

If you are out of the country for more than a year you loose your PR status.

It's really important to be back in the country before your re-entry permit expires (single/multi re-entry permis are only valid for 1 year) .

If your re-entry only has 6 months left and you leave Thailand and return after 7 months you lost the PR.

If not back on time you will have lost the PR no exceptions.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I just did that; my passport and my PR book were full at the same time when also the re-entry expired. Lucky me, I could do all in one go.

I got the new passport from the embassy, and this letter they always issue. Went to CW and applied for a new PR book and a new re-entry (which they call endorsement).

CW didn't need the letter from the embassy. New PR book was issued, new endorsement stamped into the new book and the new passport. Paid only the usual fee for the multiple re-entry, nothing for the new PR book.

I did not take the old passport with me when I left the country. The link is the 13-digit ID number starting with 8. When you change the passport, CW will update your new number in the system, so immigration sees your past entries when you leave and enter with the new passport number.

As my cerificate of residency is almost full.

And I expect to be issued a white one the next time I need an endorsement.

Did you need any additional forms or documents to get the white book issued or will they just issue one ?

I expect they will need some additional photo's but anything else ?

Additional questions : will they issue the endorsement if there is only a month left before I need to get the Red ID book updated again at the police station ?

And can it still be done within a day ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I received my first white book two months ago. It took three full working days to process at Chaengwattana. There had been a change required for my house address and this may be why it took so long. Needed photos and household registration. My alien book needs renewal in April 2017 but I was still given the full one year endorsement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the day I would become eligible for a PR so I went to immigrations office with a big file of documents and copies.
Sad to say, they did not even want to look at the paperwork, the girl who spoke with me initially even had no idea what a permanent residence is/was.

The lady in charge was involved and her excuse was "we have not received any instructions with regards to residence permits this year. Maybe you can go to Bangkok and try it there."

The body language of the entire staff was like: PR??? We are not going to do that!
Which surprised me because the staff at CR immigration is always very friendly and helpful?!?!

In 2 weeks I need to go there again for my 90 days report so I will try once more.

Edited by brake034

1 hour ago, brake034 said:

Yesterday was the day I would become eligible for a PR so I went to immigrations office with a big file of documents and copies.
Sad to say, they did not even want to look at the paperwork, the girl who spoke with me initially even had no idea what a permanent residence is/was.

The lady in charge was involved and her excuse was "we have not received any instructions with regards to residence permits this year. Maybe you can go to Bangkok and try it there."

The body language of the entire staff was like: PR??? We are not going to do that!
Which surprised me because the staff at CR immigration is always very friendly and helpful?!?!

In 2 weeks I need to go there again for my 90 days report so I will try once more.

As far as I am aware, even though you live in the provinces, you have to apply to Immigration at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok, where they have a dedicated department for processing the applications.  Applications opened early this year on 1st September and will run till the end of this month.  See information sheet    http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/quota_detail_en.pdf  .  I suggest you give them a call to double check everything you need, as there are often important little details left out or unclear in the guidelines.  It's probably a waste of time asking at Immigration in Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

Well, it says:

Detailed information about the date and documents required for each category can be obtained at Sub-Division 1, Immigration Division 1, The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December, B.E. 2550 (2007), Building B, 2 Floor, Counter D,120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Thungsonghong Sub-District,
Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 Telephone 0 2143 8224-5, 0 2141 9898-9 or
at Provincial immigration offices,

I would endorse the comments of Arkady and ubonjoe and contact the relevant officer(s) at Chaeng Wattana asap. Fortunately the period for applications to be submitted is much longer than in previous years (2 weeks when I applied in 2012 and most if not all other recent years), so you still have adequate time to do this. I think that you will find that the officer(s) is/are very helpful and will quickly inform you if a document is missing or needs to be presented in a different way. You have to visit CW to do this after initial call, as Arkady has suggested 

All of the documents that I submitted were OK, but I know that the documents of many other applicants, who applied at the same time were deficient in some way. The officer(s) were polite and helpful to these applicants (as well as myself) and in no way were they looking to reject applicants.

In summary my advice is to obtain the views of the officer(s) on your documents asap. This year they should have more time due to the longer period for applications to be submitted.

I received an e-mail from a legal company in Bangkok stating I am not eligible.
Their reasons were I do not pay tax and I do not have a workpermit.

So I asked them about below translation of the original Thai text:
3.3.1 spouse; to provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse.

On para 3.3.1: 2) The patronage provider is an elderly,
(1) Up to the date of application submission, the applicant must be at least 50 years old and
(2) Must be a lawful spouse and registered their marriage for at least 2 years before the date of application submission and
(3) The patronage provider must earn an annual income of at least 65.000 baht in average for at least 2 consecutive years up to the date of the application submission and
(4) There is a Thai national who reveals one's purpose to provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant.

11 hours ago, brake034 said:
I received an e-mail from a legal company in Bangkok stating I am not eligible.
Their reasons were I do not pay tax and I do not have a workpermit.

So I asked them about below translation of the original Thai text:
3.3.1 spouse; to provide patronage or to be under patronage of a Thai national spouse.

On para 3.3.1: 2) The patronage provider is an elderly,
(1) Up to the date of application submission, the applicant must be at least 50 years old and
(2) Must be a lawful spouse and registered their marriage for at least 2 years before the date of application submission and
(3) The patronage provider must earn an annual income of at least 65.000 baht in average for at least 2 consecutive years up to the date of the application submission and
(4) There is a Thai national who reveals one's purpose to provide patronage or to be under patronage of the applicant.

They don't use those rules anymore. The want you to be working here and paying taxes.

This is what they want to apply if married to a Thai. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/residence_th_sponser_en.pdf

I went to Chaeng Wattana and applied for extension based on work the other week. I also stopped by the PR section, and they told my application was on the list to be approved, and probably within March / April, I would get it. 

I was just wondering, is it anything I can do upfront to make it quicker / smoother? I was thinking about getting a Thai House Registration (Yellow book). Is that something I could do now? I live in Bangkok.

Edited by mortenaa

24 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

I went to Chaeng Wattana and applied for extension based on work the other week. I also stopped by the PR section, and they told my application was on the list to be approved, and probably within March / April, I would get it. 

I was just wondering, is it anything I can do upfront to make it quicker / smoother? I was thinking about getting a Thai House Registration (Yellow book). Is that something I could do now? I live in Bangkok.

No don't do that. It will just make things more complicated because your ID number would need to change after you get PR.

Just now, thedemon said:

No don't do that. It will just make things more complicated because your ID number would need to change after you get PR.

Oh, ok. Wouldn't my ID number follow what its in my Tax-Id and work permit? Would I get a new number after PR? 

11 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

Oh, ok. Wouldn't my ID number follow what its in my Tax-Id and work permit? Would I get a new number after PR? 

If you apply for a Yellow Tabien Baan (TR13) now you will get a (13 digit) ID number starting with 6. Once you have PR and registered in a blue Tabien Baan (TR14) your ID number starts with 8, the same as naturalized Thai's.

Your tax ID can be changed to the same number as your National ID but not the other way around.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

I was just wondering, is it anything I can do upfront to make it quicker / smoother? 

TiT... (unfortunately) immigration will be the first to tell you how they can make things quicker/smoother for you... :wink: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thedemon said:

If you apply for a Yellow Tabien Baan (TR13) now you will get a (13 digit) ID number starting with 6. Once you have PR and registered in a blue Tabien Baan (TR14) your ID number starts with 8, the same as naturalized Thai's.

Your tax ID can be changed to the same number as your National ID but not the other way around.

Hehe.. OK. So I guess there is not much I can do before Immigration gives me a call then :)

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

I was not asked for a yellow book when I went to Immigration to present documents requested in the letter of approval. I don't know if this is 'normal', but it certainly was not a problem and actually myself and my wife had checked about this in advance. I think that when I went to Immigration I showed them the blue book, which has my family's names in it. This was in July 2015 by the way.

As relevant official was not available when I initially wanted to arrange to be in the blue book for the condominium that I live in and own it was about a year before I got round to arranging for my name to be entered in the blue book.  This was due to a combination of business trips, official not being available and forgetting about it. Again no problems and a painless and very quick procedure when I finally arranged it. Location is in CBD of Bangkok and when I first went I was told 1-2 months waiting time, which was probably due to many PRs being granted about the same time as above date.

You will find some useful information in the following thread and probably some other threads. In my case blue book was not obtained until about 10 years after my wife and myself had been married and a longer period after I had purchased the condo.
'Can someone please explain yellow books, blue books, amphur letters'

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 7:30 AM, rimmae2 said:
You will find some useful information in the following thread and probably some other threads. In my case blue book was not obtained until about 10 years after my wife and myself had been married and a longer period after I had purchased the condo.
'Can someone please explain yellow books, blue books, amphur letters'

It says I need to show the original House Registrationr (Blue Book/Tabien Baan) of my condo when I go to pickup the book. I never received a Blue Book when I bought my condo.. Any alternative solutions?  

IMG_20170111_163813.jpg

Edited by mortenaa