Land Borders closed to overstayers

Sorry if this has already been posted

I have just been refused exit at Mukdahan. The gist of immigration's argument seemed to be if you would qualify for black list under the proposed rules you must leave by air.

So it seems Suvarnabhumi is not the best option, it is the only option.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is certainly a development that is set to upset a lot of people who have not acted yet to clear their overstay problems.

If their intention was to clear the fine and get a visa before returning.

I wrote this last week in a other thread;

2014-07-23 15:03:27

I just had a conversation with a mini-van driver from a visarun operator in Pattaya. He told me, he do not longer accept customers who had overstayed in the past. An Australian guy was denied to enter Thailand at the Laos border because of his overstay history.

Wow! This quickly needs to be verified. As far as the people overstating those who needed to leave should be long gone by now. The rest are probably just going to overstay until the get caught up. Arrest, jail, imprisonment, fine, imposing on family or friends, blacklisted and deportation seems too much to risk. Thousands will probably just hope for the best I guess.

Edited by grantbkk

I wrote this last week in a other thread;

2014-07-23 15:03:27

I just had a conversation with a mini-van driver from a visarun operator in Pattaya. He told me, he do not longer accept customers who had overstayed in the past. An Australian guy was denied to enter Thailand at the Laos border because of his overstay history.

There have many visa run companies that would not take over stayers because of the check points.

There have already been reports of people going to Vientiane with an overstay and returning without a problem. But they had just gotten visas.

Perhaps the one reported was trying to do an exempt entry.

Very strange.

If you front up at a border in any country as an overstayer you would be:

1. allowed to depart with whatever sanctions are in force for that country or,

2. detained as someone without current permission to be in the country.

To refuse them permission to depart and then send them back into the community without a valid visa or permit seems ludicrous.

Other people here have reported the same when trying to go to Cambodia. Sorry, can't remember the thread.

Very unsympathetic... "Can't you help me? I have a wife." "No, go to the airport and go home" Then given a copy of the new overstay rules. I was well dressed and polite though out.

And how long was your overstay?

Very strange.

To refuse them permission to depart and then send them back into the community without a valid visa or permit seems ludicrous.

He has been told to leave, by air, from Bangkok, to where ever he wants to go, and pay the 20,000 baht overstay fine.If he stays until 12th august bigger penalties, seems easy, unless i have missed something

• Like 2

Very strange.

He has been told to leave, by air, from Bangkok, to where ever he wants to go, and pay the 20,000 baht overstay fine.If he stays until 12th august bigger penalties, seems easy, unless i have missed something

Try and remember the August 12 date is for visa abusers not overstays. The overstay penalties are due to take effect the end of September according to numerous sources.

'nuff said

~

So where are you now and why didn't they detain/deport you?

Stuck in Mukdahan.

You'll have to ask them that, but it does seem to be procedure to direct overstayers to Bangkok.

I think that may just be a Mukdahan policy or the officers you were dealing with. There have been no reports of it happening at other crossings.

It makes a little sense to me. If they detain him, they may see that as a lot of work for themselves. While they are already equipped to deal with this in Bangkok.

Some see this as strange, but the inconsistencies and total incoherentness of it all seems perfectly in keeping with Thai policy to me.

• Like 1

Very strange.

Laughable. Would seriously consider just sucking it up and trying to wait out the current rules until the next wave of rules if this were truly the case.

Damn.. my friend was going to go on the train with his wife and kids to Laos soon.

Why are you stuck there? Can you go to Bkk and fly somewhere?

I would not panic just yet and wait for other reports.

• Like 1

So where are you now and why didn't they detain/deport you?

Stuck in Mukdahan.

You'll have to ask them that, but it does seem to be procedure to direct overstayers to Bangkok.

In which case they might find themselves in hot water were they to be stopped at a police or military checkpoint en route to BKK.

How come you didn't obtain an extension of stay from your local immigration office before your non-O expired?

Just a thought for the people currently still in Thailand on overstay.

This crackdown has been well publicized and spoken about at great length. And I am sure that the Countries bordering Thailand are also fully aware of this crackdown.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the surrounding Countries do not want the overstayers in their Country. After all, if you have overstayed years in Thailand, what is to stop the same thing happening in their Country.

The easiest way to do this is to refuse entry, get back into Thailand and sort it with Thai officials.

Might be worth considering.

• Like 2

Never heard that before. What kind of entry were you overstayed on?

My friend had a 6 month overstay (after his ED visa ran out), and last week he tried to exit by land into Cambodia, and to pay his 20k fine at that border (I don't remember which Cambodian border it was, but it wasn't Mukdahan) - and they refused him exit, and refused his offer to pay the fine. They told him to travel back to BKK, to exit by airport instead. He was surprised they didn't aprehend him, but allowed him to travel back to BKK with his group.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Never heard that before. What kind of entry were you overstayed on?

My friend had a 6 month overstay (after his ED visa ran out), and last week he tried to exit by land into Cambodia, and to pay his 20k fine at that border (I don't remember which Cambodian border it was, but it wasn't Mukdahan) - and they refused him exit, and refused his offer to pay the fine. They told him to travel back to BKK, to exit by airport instead. He was surprised they didn't aprehend him, but allowed him to travel back to BKK with his group.

They may of been because they would not of given him an entry when he came back. But it may be what they will start doing at borders with an overstay.