I was asked 5,000 Bahts for my one year retirement (first) extension !

Three days ago I went to Samui immigration in Nathon, the officer keep my passport my bank-book and told me you come back to morrow,

by the way I had moved the beginning of this month to the neighbouring house (8 meters far) same owner, so I did ask a new certificate, house number 40 instead of 41.

The next day he asked, your number 40 or 41? 40 said I.

"OK across the street there is a travel bureau, please go asking for a Google-earth picture of your address.

I gave him, he saw the house almost touch each other, made no comment put the stamp on my passport and asked me 5.000 Bahts... since it was the price of my visa I asked no question.

Later I realised extension price was, as far as I understand 1900 Bahts.

So I thought maybe I gave me a fine for not reporting immediately? (See attach file of new notice in my passport)

Since I asked no question and payed with a smile did he saw the opportunity to keep the money really I do not know! ( he gave me no justification for the 5,000)

post-154100-0-73945800-1406526131_thumb.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 5000 baht fee in Samui is nothing new. The suggestion by others is to put 1900 baht in an envelope and write 1900 baht fee on the outside.

The slip they put in your passport is normal and has your 90 report date on it. The normal fine for late reporting is 2000 baht the 5000 baht is the max fine

Looks to me from your attachment that you were, in fact, fined for not submitting a 90-day address report on time. This is a completely separate process from your retirement extension.

Report new address within 24 hours,extension fee is indeed 1900 baht so tea money for immo officer after a possible 2000 baht fine for not reporting new address in time.

This is the standard 90 day reporting slip at Samui immigrations.

I have the same in my passport.

Looks to me from your attachment that you were, in fact, fined for not submitting a 90-day address report on time. This is a completely separate process from your retirement extension.

The slip is the normal one they put in the passport with the first report day on it, He did not pay a fine.

It was his first extension so there was no report due.

The 5000 baht fee in Samui is nothing new. The suggestion by others is to put 1900 baht in an envelope and write 1900 baht fee on the outside.

The slip they put in your passport is normal and has your 90 report date on it. The normal fine for late reporting is 2000 baht the 5000 baht is the max fine

So it isn't a fee.

The fee is 1,900 baht.

I suppose a better term would be 'the extra money requested by government officials to do their job is'....

Perhaps make a report of this to the military junta. smile.png

In fact, perhaps thaivisa.com could make a report on behalf of people having such requests for extra money made, and submit it to the ruling military junta which is vowing to crack down on corrupt practices within Thai administrations. smile.png

Hear Here!

A department such as immigration should NOT be as corrupt as it is. Actually, it shouldn't be corrupt AT ALL. Most I know who have been scammed are too scared to say anything. One that did was told that he had to pay more or he'd be thrown out the country!

By allowing these actions is just the same as saying, "we are stupid farang that you can **** up the backside."

If we allow it , we condone it.

Who can we report corrupt officials to?

Would it be better to have a representative?

Who would not be scared of repercussions now AND when the new government is in power?

OP, you could always go back to immigration and ask for your money back or an explanation as to why you were scammed charged 5000 baht.

I doubt you will, if not why? Intimidation?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Week ago i went to my local immigration transfer stamp to new passport and extend turist visa.

On entry i asked how much is fee for transfer. Guy by desk farang said free.

Then after all done women typed on calculator 2400.

So what was 500 for?

Extension is 1900...

I was like at least i got it...

Then after all done women typed on calculator 2400.

So what was 500 for? Extension is 1900...

Just look at your receipt and you will know smile.png
On recip is 1900

I paid 2400 u get me..

And i had all documents required...

It was second and last extension on that visa....

It's a hard lesson, but it's up to you to know how much things cost before giving your money.

I agree smile.png . Rather easy before any trip to Immigration or Administration Office

to check first on the Internet to know last news about:

- the documents you need to bring

- the price you have to pay

Always wait (or ask) for a receipt, at least for main fees. They have to give you one.

And in places like Samui who have a strong reputation of corruption, you could do like I read on a Phuket forum:

Write on a paper the serial number of the notes you pay with.

It can help in case it finish like: "No I'm sorry, you only give me 2'000, not 5'000..." wink.png

Its not about knowing how much it costs. Its like me I knew it its 1900. But whaat u can do if she ask 2400...

If i start making problem she will not extend it. And what in future if i have to go there see them agaain?

Or they will ban me from thailand.. its not that simple is it..

Btw.

It was not in Samui

Edited by mataleo
  • Like 1

On recip is 1900

I paid 2400 u get me..

No, they got you... wink.png

Nice to report on ThaiVisa,

but it's at the moment you pay or when you get the receipt that you must react.

After that it's too late. sad.png

PS: Yes I know: "react": easier to tell than to do... wink.png

The same happened to me two years running, so I stopped extending and used non-o multi for the past 3 years. Now I don't trust border hops with even a non-o so its back to Samui again in October...

In fact I was there this morning to get a 60 day extension, 1,900 baht - everyone very polite and efficient, less than an hour to process... It's only when the birdman is involved - how can this be going on so blatantly?

According to my wife there is a website where such matters can be reported, under Gen Prayuth' name.

• Like 1

Its not about knowing how much it costs. Its like me I knew it its 1900. But whaat u can do if she ask 2400...

If i start making problem she will not extend it. And what in future if i have to go there see them agaain?

Btw.

It was not in Samui

Is it actually up to the immigration officer that you see to decide if you can legally get an extension based on whether you bribe them or not? NO

There are many things you could do rather than participate in an illegal activity.

First, ask why it is 2400 an not 1900 baht.

Ask to speak to their superior.

Take their photo and do what that twitter guy did - Richard something.

Go with a Thai person or a foreigner who is law -abiding.

Any more things he can do?

What would I Thai do in the UK, for example, if this happened?

You have been scammed.

Next time put 1900 in an envelope market "FEE 1.900 baht"

Next time I will know, this time I did not, but yes put 2,000 in an envelope will probably be the simplest thing to do, with a big smile if coursebiggrin.png

But honestly I was not on the defensive mood , now its done since 3,000 is no big deal for me I will forget it even thought some will tell me to grow balls, even my Thai wife for whom 3.000 represents more (than for me) told me We do not care should we make a fuss better not with an immigration officerblink.png

On recip is 1900

I paid 2400 u get me..

No, they got you... wink.png

Nice to report on ThaiVisa,

but it's at the moment you pay or when you get the receipt that you must react.

After that it's too late. sad.png

PS: Yes I know: "react": easier to tell than to do... wink.png

As far as I am concerned I got no receipt at all and honestly I really did not know...Sorolleyes.gif

Btw.

It was not in Samui

Is it actually up to the immigration officer that you see to decide if you can legally get an extension based on whether you bribe them or not? NO

There are many things you could do rather than participate in an illegal activity.

First, ask why it is 2400 an not 1900 baht.

Ask to speak to their superior.

Take their photo and do what that twitter guy did - Richard something.

Go with a Thai person or a foreigner who is law -abiding.

Any more things he can do?

What would I Thai do in the UK, for example, if this happened?

How about you come back when it has actually happened to you and tell us how you handled it.

In my case the decision was easy - am I to enter into a conflict over 3,000 baht, which could give me some serious problems and inconvenience me no-end.

Instead I naively believed that by reporting it here on TV, adding to a number of other 'victims' reports of the same person extorting money, someone would actually take action.

The end of this will come from Thais doing something, not foreigners. All we can do is report it.

Thai wife for whom 3.000 represents more (than for me) told me We do not care should we make a fuss better not with an immigration officerblink.png

I'm afraid is not big deal for her because it's your money, not her.

Most people are Ok with corruption as long they can obtain an undue advantage from it. But if it's simple extortion watch them become incensed for 30 Bt.

• Like 1

I renewed my retirement extension on Friday last week at Nakhon Sawan.

It only took 40 minutes and the Immigration officer asked me for 1,900 baht which I gave her and she gave me a receipt for 1,900 baht.

I have done extensions at Suan Phlu in BKK, Mae Sot and now NS over the years and in all 3 nobody asked me for a bribe at all.

However the NS office is by far and away the best I have been to.

• Like 2

Report new address within 24 hours,extension fee is indeed 1900 baht so tea money for immo officer after a possible 2000 baht fine for not reporting new address in time.

This is the standard 90 day reporting slip at Samui immigrations.

I have the same in my passport.

Me not had same this first year, but a paper with a bar code the girl did zip every reporting

So I guess this new get back to Buddist ethos the Junta wants to instil hasn't reached the front desk yet.

Never mind a year, I don't think a decade will be long enough.

Never mind t-shirts with "same same" on them, I'd like to see more farang walking about with "ATM" on them. Maybe the point will be taken, but doubt it.

• Like 1

So for all the Samui old hands out there...what happens if you don't pay the extra?

Do they approve your application anyway, just perhaps a bit more grumpily? Or is it a matter of no 'extra' fee, no visa extension.

• Like 1