Spinning Bike or Exercise (Stationary) Bike - Any Recommendations

My currect upright exercise bike is coming to the end of its life. It has served me well for about 4 or 5 years but has been repaired a few times, is starting to rust (despite my repainting it) and now needs replacing.

I am contemplating getting a spinning bike but at the same time am not sure whether I should stick with a standard exercise bike. I usually use my current exercise bike for 30 minutes, 4 times a week after work and go out on my bicycle on the weekend (Saturday or Sunday but not both). My son also uses the exercise bike for 30 minutes 7 days a week.

My budget is up to Baht 40,000+, but the bike must be available in Bangkok. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated including where I can buy it. The stuff I have seen in SuperSport does not seem to be up to much.

The advantage of a spinning bike is that you can do HITT easier as its easier to make it go heavier. That is why i bought it but when I got my concept 2 rower i found out that that is far superior to any bike and the bike is now gathering dust.

You have to understand that a spinning bike can give you some saddle pain as the saddle is smaller. I believe the advantage of spinning bikes is that you can easily make them go heavier during an exercise.

The saddle is not an issue as my bicycle saddle is the same type used for racing bikes. I remeber you mentioning you got a Concept 2. Unfortunately, while they are much better than a simple spinning bike, I do not have the room for one or the budget.

What model spinning bike are you now using as a clothes hanger? :)

I bought a Keiser M3 Spin Bike in Australia for $1800, which was excellent, with both horizontal and vertical adjustment of the seat possible. I actually changed the saddle for one that I purchased in a bike shop which was better suited to sitting for longer periods. So I could thoroughly recommend this brand and model. I know they can be purchased on line through greys auctioneers but I'm not sure if they are available in a retail shop in Thailand.

There are kind of rolls which you place on the floor and your bicycle on top of it. I had one 15 years ago in Europe.

Far superior to any spinning bike. (at least mine was at that time. It also cost a fortune)

Since you already own a bicycle, why not buy a trainer and use your bicycle indoors.

You can get a pretty good one from probike for about 8,000 Baht.

trainer-in-action-rs.jpg

Good idea. I like the idea of a computer monitor too to take away the boredom of watching a wall. But perhaps not ideal for my hybrid bike.

Edited by GarryP

^ A hybrid would work fine, but I would recommend a tire without knobs to reduce noise.

There are some great DVDs you can buy which give prompts for interval training and also have simulations of rides through famous scenic locations. Good luck and happy riding.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Really interested in getting a spinning bike, anywhere that sell these in Bangkok at reasonable prices?

There are a few on lazada but not sure about the brands or quality

and I would avoid Lazada if possible....