Two high-speed rail lines get nod, but neither will come to Chiang Mai

khwaibah

Correction! That's 19th century, or the 1800s above for the Brtish and French threats. Oops!

And, the railroad IS only some 100 years old.

And, for clarity, there is only an arduous narrow mountainous road through Laos between the Chinese and Thai borders. Don't expect a rail link there --- just yet! I don't recall seeing a rail proposed that way on Chinese development maps, but they might have one penciled in. Maybe some broad regional strategic thinking (as by visionaries (dreamers?) in the Asian Devlopment Bank). Anyway, if god made the world in six days, the Chinese will certainly take longer to finish their march to the seas to the South and West.

Edited by Mapguy

i think we might be better off here without highspeed rail link to china ,as we have enough chinese tourists here already.

any city on the route kunming-bkk will see a flood of tourists from china and the way thai authorities deal with or plan for influx like this makes me think

it's better they bypass us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just what Thailand needs. A trillion baht worth of debt to build something that will be of limited use to the average Thai. Methinks this is more about politics then economics. If they want to put in track, try upgrading the current rail system that exists and move to a dual track system -- something that benefits the entire country. It would be interesting to be able to get from BKK to CM in 8 hours without derailing.

As far as 'high-speed rail'. Remember the crash in Spain? Knowing Thailand reputation for quality construction, I'd put my bets on a catastrophic crash within the first year of operation. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by connda