No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

Thais are expert in misunderstanding and evasive miscommunication !

After you will see different answers of TV members about same question by members who don't see all the updated informations !

After this newbies find Thailand difficult to understand or live in !

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think important information as to what documents or ID should be provided or be available upon request for a non-Thai in the Kingdom should be issued at a minimum on an official press release or Immigration website notification

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm disappointed with Thaivisa, it just seems they want to bring as many people to their website as possible - spread a rumour here, spread a rumour there, then act like the big hero - wahey we have solved the problem! Genius!

Please stop doing this!

Stop doing what? This is no rumor. This is from the Deputy Commander of Immigration. Above him is the Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent, and finally, the Commissioner General. That makes him pretty high up and I take it pretty personally that you call this a rumor when I am the one who spoke to the Colonel and I am the one who did so before. This isn't tabloid gossip and you can do one of two things, believe it, or not. It makes no difference to me at all.

Any reporter or journalist worth their salt will have 2 or 3 reliable sources on which to base a story.

Not: The official story today from this guy is... Tomorrow; The official story today from this guy is... etc.

How about talking to several officials on the same day about the same subject?

Flimsy reporting...

You're talking out the wrong orifice. Believe me when I tell you that you do not know what you're talking about with regards to what I personally have said publicly. Everything I've said has been verified by between 2-5 people.

I would think important information as to what documents or ID should be provided or be available upon request for a non-Thai in the Kingdom should be issued at a minimum on an official press release or Immigration website notification

When you start working for Thai Immigration, perhaps you can get this policy passed. Until then, this is what you got. If you don't like it, tough.

• Like 1

So with all respect to you, Scott, do you think it is a good way to disseminate official information that a high-placed official talks informally, whether on the record or not, to you and you go on an unofficial website and give your interpretation of what was said?

What I think in this situation means very little. Immigration knew of my past work and I was asked to help. I agreed.

If someone tells me something, I report what was said. If I interpret anything, I state it as my opinion.

• Like 2

When you start working for Thai Immigration, perhaps you can get this policy passed. Until then, this is what you got. If you don't like it, tough.

Thank you. I don't like it.

• Like 1

Like I said, tough. For now, be happy you're getting any information. If they really wanted to be pr****, they don't have to tell you anything.

Scott.. Please dont confuse frustration with immigration's inconsistency, and poor communication.. With shooting the messenger.

If Thailand wants to transition to an 'obey the rules' society.. then having clear, precisely defined rules, that are the same everywhere, for people to obey, is part of it.

• Like 1

Like I said, tough. For now, be happy you're getting any information. If they really wanted to be pr****, they don't have to tell you anything.

You can relay your conversation with a top official anyway you like. There is nothing legal or binding about it.

Well they kinda do.. Thats their job..

If they want people to stick to the rules.. They need to make those clear..

• Like 2

While it is good to hear from a senior official, I don't see how it is going to change things much: if a police officer suspects you are on overstay they want to see your passport. If you do not have it with you then you are still going to be held or 'fined'...

It's no change except for TV members who labor under the wrong impression and continually parrot this erroneous information: "Thai law says you have to carry your passport on your person at all times."

In fact a mod once deleted my post when I denied that this is the law and I basically advised what Deputy Commander Voravat says. After that I gave up trying to reveal the truth on this point.

It's reasonable and lawful that you be able to produce that passport if asked, however, and even be held until you do.

I agree, I can always produce my passport but I don't carry it around with me all the time and I never will.

Common sense has prevailed, not that it makes much difference as I suspect hardly anyone would actually carry their passport with them at all times anyway.

If I'm stopped and placed in some waiting room / holding cell in a police station while someone is sent to retrieve my passport from wherever I hide it then so be it, I'd much rather that than risk losing it.

• Like 1

First all the confusion and now finally some clarity. Let's hope there is not another article tomorrow where someone else provides yet another interpretation.

I always knew that carrying an original passport all the time is not practical and the way I've always done things, seems to be the way forward - I always have an up-to-date visa or extension of stay, I always have a work permit when I work, I always cancel my non-B extension if my job ends, I would never consider overstaying even by 1 day, in short: I obey the law.

If anyone who is authorized to conduct searches on the public (i.e. a policeman or the army) want to see an ID document, in the first instance I will show them a valid Thai driver's license. In ALL cases so far this has sufficed. However, if there were ever any need to show my passport, I would first tell the officers my passport number (indicated on my driver's licence anyway), the date I'm permitted to stay until, what I do, anything they need to do so they can check this information on their computer systems. By that stage there would almost be no need to see my original passport anymore because they should be able to verify my story by checking their database. Finally as the BKK immigration commander has said, I could easily produce an original passport in a reasonable period of time but I doubt it would ever get that far. Besides, I also have photocopies of my passport that can easily be produced first, if necessary.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm disappointed with Thaivisa, it just seems they want to bring as many people to their website as possible - spread a rumour here, spread a rumour there, then act like the big hero - wahey we have solved the problem! Genius!

Please stop doing this!

Stop doing what? This is no rumor. This is from the Deputy Commander of Immigration. Above him is the Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent, and finally, the Commissioner General. That makes him pretty high up and I take it pretty personally that you call this a rumor when I am the one who spoke to the Colonel and I am the one who did so before. This isn't tabloid gossip and you can do one of two things, believe it, or not. It makes no difference to me at all.

Any reporter or journalist worth their salt will have 2 or 3 reliable sources on which to base a story.

Not: The official story today from this guy is... Tomorrow; The official story today from this guy is... etc.

Flimsy reporting...

You're talking out the wrong orifice. Believe me when I tell you that you do not know what you're talking about with regards to what I personally have said publicly. Everything I've said has been verified by between 2-5 people.

Clearly, not good enough.

And please spare me the childish insults.

Scott.. Please dont confuse frustration with immigration's inconsistency, and poor communication.. With shooting the messenger.

If Thailand wants to transition to an 'obey the rules' society.. then having clear, precisely defined rules, that are the same everywhere, for people to obey, is part of it.

First things first....people have choices in how they respond to immigration's laws. They can follow the law or they can go to jail or be deported. All this, "They should do this, they should do that, why don't they do this, why don't they do that," is counterproductive.

Governments, or in this case, immigration, doesn't completely morph into a tidy, well-run organization over night. As I said a couple of weeks ago, give it a few months, even a year, and I think there will be substantial changes made.

• Like 2

First things first....people have choices in how they respond to immigration's laws. They can follow the law or they can go to jail or be deported. All this, "They should do this, they should do that, why don't they do this, why don't they do that," is counterproductive.

Governments, or in this case, immigration, doesn't completely morph into a tidy, well-run organization over night. As I said a couple of weeks ago, give it a few months, even a year, and I think there will be substantial changes made.

And if people want to follow the law the should have a better rendition of that policy than someone saying So the commander sez to me, he sez ...

and your saying well that's all you're gonna get for now doesn't change anything. I'm just glad I live in the sticks of Isaan where the police maybe don't even know there's been a change in policy.

Edited by JLCrab

But the point is what are the rules.. What Hua Hin say ?? What Phuket say ?? What your guy says ?? what his boss says ??

The immigration act says I have to report everywhere I travel with 24 hours.. TM28s... I can follow the law.. Or I will go to jail or get deported ??

You cant say all the laws all the time.. when no one, including immigration itself, know which ones to follow and which ones to ignore..

• Like 1

Hopefully with Thai visa getting in contact with them and alerting them to the confusion amongst Farangs it will mean they will contact the rest of the countries divisional commanders telling them what the actual rules are and what to enforce.

Hopefully with Thai visa getting in contact with them and alerting them to the confusion amongst Farangs it will mean they will contact the rest of the countries divisional commanders telling them what the actual rules are and what to enforce.

See.. I have this real nice bridge for sale..

;)

I'll be carrying a copy of this interview when I go out.

And just how many policemen do you think can read English??

I'm printing out his picture right now and will get the interview translated to thai . Will keep it in my car so I can point at it next time I'm stopped by the police.

Edited by balo

So, basically everything about the passports issue reported the other day in a thread here, with much fanfare by TV out of Hua Hin, has now been retracted.

You really had to wonder at the original report, since requiring everyone to carry their actual passports certainly would have seemed to encourage and increase opportunities for passport theft and eventual misuse.

So after a lot of totally unnecessary hoo-haa, we're back to where we've always been on this subject: keep your passport safe at home or locked away elsewhere, and carry some kind of copy in your wallet just in case ever asked to show it by Thai police. That's a common sense approach.

• Like 2

And if people want to follow the law the should have a better rendition of that policy than someone saying So the commander sez to me, he sez ...

and your saying well that's all you're gonna get for now doesn't change anything. I'm just glad I live in the sticks of Isaan where the police maybe don't even know there's been a change in policy.

Says who? You? That's gonna get you real far now, don't ya think?

You do what you want pal. I'm trying to help foreigners.

"Foreigners do not have to carry their passports with them everywhere," said the Deputy Commander. Whether it's on ThaiVisa, YouTube, or in the Phuket Gazette make no difference. If he said it, he said it. If you don't want to believe it, no problem, but what are you wasting everyone's time griping about it for?

This has got to be a CLASSIC to show the ineptness of the Thai Government... it is amazing ... the tail wagging the dog and then the dog wagging the tail -- then they don't know their fricken tail from their ass.

Most people on TVF will follow the LAW if we just knew what the HELL it was from one day 'til the next. Is that too much to ask? REALLY!!!

There is nothing that has transpired this week from Hua Hin to Bangkok that has any consistency ... whether it be a Thai Immigration 'Authority' or a TVF 'reporter' ...

What one 'Deputy' Commander says is meaningless -- Unless and Until the Highest in Command at Thailand Immigration - Signs off on it ... and THEN it does not mean much Unless and Until the Senior Thai Army Commander say that it is so...

That is the BOTTOM LINE ... nothing else will do ..

• Like 1

Clearly, not good enough.

Please stop doing this!

Flimsy reporting...

And please spare me the childish insults.

There was no insult, only truth.

Get something straight pal. I don't work for you. I don't work for ThaiVisa. I don't work for immigration. I am beholden to no one. I used to be a photojournalist, now I'm not. If people on this site or any other want to bitch, moan, whine, cry, complain, whimper, whinge, whatever, go right ahead.

Understand something else—the information I have given has been given to me by multiple people or spoken about in meeting and conversations with multiple people. I have only reported what has been told to me by these individuals. I did not report on Hua Hin or anything other than what is shown below.

So far I've given the below information as facts and the owner of Thai Visa then got this information from me, and then confirmed it with immigration. I have been trying to help other expats. If you don't like it, believe me, I'll get over it.

1. Visa Exemption Extensions go from 7 days to 30 days on August 29.

2. There is no lifetime ban for any length of overstay.

3. Carrying a passport at all times is requested but is not mandatory. Having the ability to produce the passport is also mandatory. None of this is new, however, it is supposed to be more strictly enforced.

4. The fine for not carrying a passport is not 20,000, it is 2,000.

5. There are numerous changes coming related to the ED Visa.

If you want to give me a hard time about the above, go right ahead.

Thats an accurate track record.

Seems that the authorities are increasingly using Thaivisa as a mouthpiece to get the correct message out confusion on matters expatriate (usually after some bufoon starts a rumour through bad journalism or bad communication). This is a good thing ..... I guess the TV owners are happy, it confirms their advertising appeal.