No retirement visa for uk citizens till age 65

Does anyone know if the rules have changed from 50 to 65 to obtain a retirement visa in the uk ?

A friend sent me a message on Facebook with a picture of the rules for obtaining an o visa from the hull consulate and when I checked the website it does state 65..

I hope not as I am 50 next April and planned on retiring here, I have managed to stay here for the last year on tourist visas but with the clamp down its looking like I will have to go back to the uk when my current visa expires.

That wouldn't have been a problem if it was only a few months but 65 ?

I have a Thai gf of 2 1/2 years and we (she ! ) have a car and land together so I hope I will be able to live here somehow !

I went in to do my 90 day reporting , the female immi officer told me my yearly renewal is up in October , please do not forget all the docs. photos etc. She did not say anything about the age changing. ( I am 56 )

Edited by NE1

You could open a bank account in Thailand (only in your name) and deposit 800,000 baht to meet the financial requirements of a retirement visa.

How exactly does your reply answer the gentleman's question re 50 or 65?

I went in to do my 90 day reporting , the female immi officer told me my yearly renewal is up in October , please do not forget all the docs. photos etc. She did not say anything about the age changing. ( I am 56 )

this is only on visas issued not extensions of stay in country.

The UK seems to have put 'retirement' into 'claiming a pension' and will not issue retirement 1 year multi entries for the 50 - 65 range. Its been that way for months now.

You can of course still extend incountry with 800k in the bank.

How about a link to the Hull webpage that shows this new requirement... I can't find it...

Oh its real.. No more 1 year retirement visas in the uk under 65..

Of course.. extensions still fine.. No need to panic, just start seasoning the 800k.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20140312100006

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.
Evidence required:
a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum
necessary).
Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.
Document updated 12-03-14

As LivinLos says the document is "Document updated 12-03-14" on the main page but they haven't changed the actual PDF itself.

However, I think (and this is only my opinion!) that they've decided that as no male in the UK ever gets a STATE pension before 65, then 65 is the minimum.

Rather unfair on those who get private pensions before 65 but as we know the logic of some of these rules is rather hard to fathom!

This ties in with what the EMBASSY website says: "Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension)"

This sort of supports my idea above - but I do NOT have any inside knowledge - only my opinion

I wonder if anyone has actually asked the Embassy if a private or military pension would be acceptable......... anyone?

As has also been mentioned, one can get an OA from the EMBASSY once one reaches 50 - much more paperwork to provide course!

My friend who comes to Thailand each winter, over 50, but doesnt show 800k in a Thai bank or want to go extension route.. was denied the retirement option at all (meaning no O-A) from London.

They gave him a double or triple tourist visa and that was ok for his needs.. But he tried for both versions and was denied both.

So, if I understand well, the way to stay here if you're younger 65 and older than 50, would be applying for a tourist visa. Once in Thailand, you put 800K on your Thai bank account and you apply for a 1 year extension?

Can you apply for a 1 year extension for retirement based on a tourist visa? Wouldn't you need to change your visa to a non-immigrant-O-A first?

My friend who comes to Thailand each winter, over 50, but doesnt show 800k in a Thai bank or want to go extension route.. was denied the retirement option at all (meaning no O-A) from London.

They gave him a double or triple tourist visa and that was ok for his needs.. But he tried for both versions and was denied both.

Just a question LivinLOS.....

The Embassy site actually says (for OA)

"Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)"

A bit impertinent I know, but can he not show a GBP income equivalent? I'm 59 and I was looking at that as an option to avoid putting 800K in Thailand... mind you, as I said above, to get an OA "there's much more paperwork to provide of course!"

** ​EDIT **: I just phoned the Embassy, spoke to a lady with excellent English who said that Yes, GBP equivalent is OK - even she stressed the need for more paperwork for an OA though. facepalm.gif

As she was so helpful, I enquired about the O and she confirmed that it MUST be a STATE (not private) Pension and you MUST be 65 to get the O - answering my own question from my earlier post

Edited by VBF

You have a retirement extension and you are in Thailand.

The O/P is asking about getting a visa (non-imm O or O-A) at an consulate in UK.

Two entirely different things.

• Like 1

So, if I understand well, the way to stay here if you're younger 65 and older than 50, would be applying for a tourist visa. Once in Thailand, you put 800K on your Thai bank account and you apply for a 1 year extension?

Can you apply for a 1 year extension for retirement based on a tourist visa? Wouldn't you need to change your visa to a non-immigrant-O-A first?

" Wouldn't you need to change your visa to a non-immigrant-O-A first? :

You would have to do a conversion to a non-Imm O first. A conversion to a non-Imm O-A is not possible. In order to do the conversion, you'd have to meet the retirement extension financial requirements, but not the 60 day in the bank requirement since you can wait 60 days on the non-Imm O and then do the retirement extension.

• Like 2

Why can't the guys from the UK just do what the US people have done for years? Enter the country on 30 day visa exempt status, open a Thai bank account, immediately transfer 800,000 baht into that account, then convert the visa exempt status into a 90 O visa. During the final 30 days of that 90 "o" visa, return to Immigration with a bank letter telling them all about your nicely aged 800,000 baht account and presto, you'll have a 12-month visa extension due to retirement.

The OP can jump start the process by opening the bank account and transferring the money early.

• Like 1

The rules (in UK) changed last July. Previously, if you were 50+ and could satisfy certain financial criteria you could get a 1 year O-Type Visa for extended tourism with the caveat that you weren't allowed to work. That has been done away with for the those between 50-65. Those between 50-65 can either apply for an O-A Type with all the medical, police checks etc having to be done in UK or, as NancyL said in Post 17, enter Thailand on a 30 day exemption (or TR Visa) and do a conversion in-country. The changes are reflected on both the Hull Consulate's and The RTE's websites.

post-145960-0-39261700-1406826820_thumb.

post-145960-0-57794600-1406826859_thumb.

Edited by rajyindee

There are multiple ways to end up with permission to stay in Thailand long-term due to retirement. An O-A visa granted in one's home country isn't the only way to obtain that permission. It's confusing, however, because nearly everyone who has retirement extension thinks they actually have a "retirement visa" and that's what they call it.

If someone is over age 50 and meets the financial requirements (one way or another), then there are several ways to obtain long term permission to remain in Thailand due to retirement. They've all been outlined in this thread. Don't let Hull create the impression that the British have to be age 65 to obtain permission to remain in Thailand due to retirement. That's absolute rubbish.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Why can't the guys from the UK just do what the US people have done for years? Enter the country on 30 day visa exempt status, open a Thai bank account, immediately transfer 800,000 baht into that account, then convert the visa exempt status into a 90 O visa. During the final 30 days of that 90 "o" visa, return to Immigration with a bank letter telling them all about your nicely aged 800,000 baht account and presto, you'll have a 12-month visa extension due to retirement.

The OP can jump start the process by opening the bank account and transferring the money early.

Yes they can. But not all people like to live full time in Thailand. The non O is good if you like to stay in both your home country and Thailand. It's also good if you don't have or like to transfer 800k to a Thai bank

Edited by bangkoklasse

this is only on visas issued not extensions of stay in country.

The UK seems to have put 'retirement' into 'claiming a pension' and will not issue retirement 1 year multi entries for the 50 - 65 range. Its been that way for months now.

You can of course still extend incountry with 800k in the bank.

Or get legally married in Thailand and then you only have to put 400000 THB in a bank account or prove income of 40000 THB a month and get a 1 year visa extn with a Non O. This is my choice as I don't want 800k stuck in a Thai bank. I'm 58 and been here 6 years and have not left for 5 years. It's only 1900 THB a year to extend so cheap as chips as they say.

I think a lot of British people do exactly that, especially the ones with Thai spouses. The unmarried or married British couples seem to rely more on sorting everything out before leaving the UK and therefore rely on getting all their info from Thai Embassy and Consulates or websites.

Does it mean that a POOR Englishman on State Pension of about 140 quid a week, can get retirement extension, whereas a 50 - 65 yr old needs to show 14000 pa. or 700 quid a week.

I hope that english guys dont have to show 700gbp per week,thats 36,400gbp per year

About three months ago a friend of mine was told at Hull he couldn't have a non O visa based on retirement because he was under sixty five (he's 61). He was told he should apply for an O-A visa instead. I suggested he get a tourist visa and convert it to a non O after he'd arrived in Thailand. He phoned me about three hours ago to say he'd successfully converted to a non O in Surin yesterday and has just got to go back in a few weeks to get his extension based on retirement.

• Like 1

Does it mean that a POOR Englishman on State Pension of about 140 quid a week, can get retirement extension, whereas a 50 - 65 yr old needs to show 14000 pa. or 700 quid a week.

No

That is only to get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa from one of the consulates in the UK.

Just checked Hull website - no change.

The rules have changed

For a Non Imm multiple Type O you need to be 65 - this is not a retirement visa BTW and never was

If you are over 50 and want a retirement Type Visa from London it is called an O-A - for this you need to show funds 800k in UK bank current account - Police report - Medical Cert

It is much easier to do in Thailand in which case you get a Single Entry 90 day Type O in UK and get an extension of stay based on Retirement in Thailand through local immigration or you can convert a tourist visa to a Type O at immigration and proceed from there, funds in Thai bank and or pension earnings equal to 800k per year are required

Edited by smedly