Patpong traders tell NCPO of police extortion

webfact

Patpong traders tell NCPO of police extortion

7-31-2014-10-27-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of over 20 traders at Patpong night market on Thursday lodged a petition to National Council for Peace and Order accusing policemen of demanding protection fees from them.

The group also sought justice for Maj-Gen Jennarong who was earlier arrested by a combined force of police and military along with four traders on charges of extortion.

The group showed in their petition letter a list of policemen whose identities were not mentioned whom they charged of extorting money from them and also the amounts of money they paid to different groups of policemen.

Regarding Maj-Gen Jennarong, the group disclosed that traders at Patpong night market had been made to pay protection fees for more than two decades and they decided to ask for help from Jennarong who helped regulate the business at Patpong for the past two months..

They claimed that the major-general was falsely accused of extortion by the former gang of extortionists. They said that they were willing to pay the protection fees but now there are too many state agencies which have demanded protection fees and they simply cannot afford.

For instance, they said they used to pay 2,000 baht for a foreign migrant worker working in Patpong and now the price has doubled to 4,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/patpong-traders-tell-ncpo-police-extortion/

[thaipbs]2014-08-01[/thaipbs]

• Like 1

For instance, they said they used to pay 2,000 baht for a foreign migrant worker working in Patpong and now the price has doubled to 4,000 baht.

How hypocritical. Complaining about paying bribes to break the law? lol

According to the bannock ghost, monthly 10k for selling watches, 5k for handbags and 2k for misc goods.

Happens all over Thailand, we have a friend in Chiangmai who owns a small business and she has to pay the police 5K every month as do all her neighbours.

An old friend of mine had a business in Pattaya years ago, and was busy, the police used to go into the place any time and demand money drink etc.

My friend got really angry as they asked up to 15k per month, he employed 12 staff.

He arranged a meeting with the police and said you come every month plain clothes and I will have an envelope for you, come in take it no questions asked.  The chief said NO.  So he said you get nothing and as from tomorrow I will close the business sack the staff and go, then you get nothing -ever.

The police chief said---deal  we will do this.  3k was in the envelope, but he got protection from the police--so not bad  36k a year or NOWT.

• Like 1

Not true, In Patpong I once simply run off, after depositing 200 B each on the table. It was fun! :-)

My friend absolutely wanted to see a Ping Pong show and then came a bill of 2500 B each. No way, I thought, and we were too quick for those losers. Yeah !!!

and 100 to 500 baht per bottle of beer for pingpong shows, which is advertised as 100 baht per bottle once you get in your are trapped!!

• Like 1

Not true, In Patpong I once simply run off, after depositing 200 B each on the table. It was fun! :-)

My friend absolutely wanted to see a Ping Pong show and then came a bill of 2500 B each. No way, I thought, and we were too quick for those losers. Yeah !!!

and 100 to 500 baht per bottle of beer for pingpong shows, which is advertised as 100 baht per bottle once you get in your are trapped!!

Frimu, the crooks in Patpong have long memories, i would be careful if you ever plan to go back there, however long it has been. They are probably calculating interest:)

Sounds like the good General thought the time was right to muscle in on the Patpong action with all the focus on police corruption.

Seems like he jumped the gun a bit. Or he may have been standing up for the angelic traders as a matter of principle.

If you run a business and have foreign workers you have to pay the BIB REGARDLESS of the workers having paperwork, ie work visa, work permit, etc,

They even do it at hospitals that have foreign workers.    The top cop buy's his position and can keep it for approximately 10 years after that it is sold too another cop, so the extortion money is for getting your money back with a very tidy profit.   They don't even care that they are on CCTV,   they know they are well protected as it all comes from the big boy's in BKK...   Why don't the internal affairs ever seem to catch these guy's?  OP"S THEY ARE ON THE PAYROLL ALSO HEHEHEHE

Everyone pay, even Thai Companies with Thai Staff only.

If you run a business and have foreign workers you have to pay the BIB REGARDLESS of the workers having paperwork, ie work visa, work permit, etc,

They even do it at hospitals that have foreign workers.    The top cop buy's his position and can keep it for approximately 10 years after that it is sold too another cop, so the extortion money is for getting your money back with a very tidy profit.   They don't even care that they are on CCTV,   they know they are well protected as it all comes from the big boy's in BKK...   Why don't the internal affairs ever seem to catch these guy's?  OP"S THEY ARE ON THE PAYROLL ALSO HEHEHEHE

Never mind it's all going to be stamped out. GP says so.

Oh, they  want to pay "protection money" to general , but not to police.
If this article is correct, there you see corruption is depth in the thai culture.

Reading an article and at the same time understanding what is written seems not your ability.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Happens all over Thailand, we have a friend in Chiangmai who owns a small business and she has to pay the police 5K every month as do all her neighbours.

My Son decided to axe a coffee shop project because of juvenile gangs doing extortion on-top of the police , so yes this is rife and not confined to the police.

• Like 1

Never mind it's all going to be stamped out. GP says so.

Healthy wind up post.   No praise for anything the army does ?? contribute to the topic for a change there's a good man.thumbsup.gif

I don't jump to that conclusion. First of all, police are paid a very small amount of money (ooops I assume they are lowly paid). This is a way to make a livable wage. They are charging for their services. Is there a better way. Yes! have the city charge the vendors a larger fee - a tax. Push the money into the police dept for salaries. As long as someone has a job that does not pay enough to care about losing it then expect things like this to happen. They must be paid more, given rules, then fired/jail for violating the rules. The first step - pay them more so they do not want to lose their jobs.

I think you're right. it's a simple way for th government to aviod the bad publicity of raising taxes as part of the police or other organisations is paid by corruption.

Many shades of grey, but out and out corruption and extortionate protection must be stamped out to give this country a chance to bring in proper law and order. Where is the Thai Eliot Ness when we need him?.

Thai-Ness should be enough---leave Elliot out of it.wink.png

• Like 2

Interesting... the Maj. General referred to in the OP apparently is an ARMY general, not a police general.

The news of his arrest was posted in a thread here yesterday via an AFP report.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747715-thai-military-arrest-army-general-for-extortion/

Getting kind of hard around here to tell just who's extorting who!!!

Very curious to know if this guy was set up, or, he's just another pig at the trough.

• Like 1

How hypocritical. Complaining about paying bribes to break the law? lol

555... it really is the norm.  

I like the illegal taxi's and tuk tuk's in Phuket who complain that new regulations will "put them out of business;" so the government meets with them, listens, sympathizes and allows them to continue working illegally until they can figure out a way to make them legal.  Or they block the piers and public roads, which the police allow them to do, because everyone agrees that making them operate legally would cost them money.  What's an illegal taxi driver to do?  But lord forbid a flight gets cancelled and a farang overstays their visa by 48-hours!

So the place that is so well known for scamming people is complaining that the bribes they paid which helped then carry on their illegal businesses are too much

Legally they should have all been arrested long time ago
Be carefull what they wish for ?????