Pattaya Clean Up - Now, Soon or Never?

NanLaew

I am working outside Thailand with a couple of guys that live in Phuket. Their buddies are saying that the junta-inspired Phuket clean up is pretty impressive with the taxi sharks and sidewalk hustlers been kicked off their turf and people being able to use sidewalks again.

How does it look in Pattaya? Has anything noticeable happened there yet? My pal heard that it's going to kick off on 13th but no word on specifics. Anything happening or going the rounds more than unsubstantiated rumour... like substantiated ones?

Not getting in too deep with the much discussed plan to change Pattaya to a family destination. More interested if those acres of rental motorbikes have been forced to give back public access, less staff in the Coconut Bar, sidewalks cleared of trestle tables selling sh!t, etc..

Thanks,

NL

Nothing much has changed in Pattaya, same same as every other year. The only thing I ever saw on the ground was 4 army guys checking out some motorcycle taxi guys and had Police onlookers. That was around soi 3 beach road about a week ago. Also lottery tickets are a bit cheaper (10 to 20 baht) apart from that, nothing.

Prayuth said something about Phuket being a test for what he intended to extend to the rest of Thailand. He repeatedly says please have patience.

Phuket is, as far as I understand it as an occasional visitor, a tougher nut to crack than Pattaya.

they have indeed started. The first target has been the bike taxis who are on 30 day notice to get legal or get arrested. They do not seem to be backing off and I for one will be happy when they are all busted down to size, to be service providers rather than a clan of rip off merchants. 

I have been reading about more raids at night clubs and drug testing.

I was there last week.and a prominent example is Lucifers on walking street: closed.

Apart from that the usual chaos.

There were reports in the press some two (?) weeks ago that "plans" for a cleanup are in the pipeline.

So don't be too sure that nothing will happen.

My acid test is that they make the fake taxi meters real taxis meters. Clearly, they won't.

Yes indeed. Since the notoriously abusive Phuket/Patong taxis were a very visible, first-order target of the junta, it would certainly be an apples with apples comparison. Can we hope for meter taxi drivers helping Villa shoppers with their purchases before holding the door open, asking 'where to?' and simply smiling, nodding and turning on the meter? Oh... that vision has made me quite dizzy. I need to lie down.

Prayuth said something about Phuket being a test for what he intended to extend to the rest of Thailand. He repeatedly says please have patience.
Phuket is, as far as I understand it as an occasional visitor, a tougher nut to crack than Pattaya.

Interesting point that since Pattaya (mostly) precedes Phuket for all these touristy and red-lightish things and only seems to exceed Pattaya in how much Baht/rip-off they seem to get away with. You would think that Pattaya would have much broader, more entrenched 'mafia' (for want of a better word). However, with Phuket's self-styled superiority to Pattaya comes much higher costs and I can see where 'tough nut' would equate with fewer 'influential' people with much larger 'investments' and thus much more to lose.
  • Like 1

they have indeed started. The first target has been the bike taxis who are on 30 day notice to get legal or get arrested. They do not seem to be backing off and I for one will be happy when they are all busted down to size, to be service providers rather than a clan of rip off merchants.

That is a good start. These unregulated arses have been a blight. I remember when they used to be a handy resource and you were always on good terms with the local 'team', send them off to pay bills, go get a gas bottle and happily run other errands. Now they laze about on plastic chairs, screw up kerb-side parking and sidewalks, whistling and clapping at foreigners.

I have been reading about more raids at night clubs and drug testing.

I was there last week.and a prominent example is Lucifers on walking street: closed.

Apart from that the usual chaos.
There were reports in the press some two (?) weeks ago that "plans" for a cleanup are in the pipeline.
So don't be too sure that nothing will happen.

Lucifer's was a high-profile target very early in the game but I think that was more through their stupidity in flaunting an earlier instruction to cease and desist from the cops. So the army came back the next night. arrested the managers and the place has been history ever since. Proof that you cannot pay off the army.

Those press reports you speak of must be what my buddy as referencing. Pretty sure they are working on it so we can just hope that it is fair and balanced which it could never be with just Soi 9's oversight.