Tourism department sets new standard for jet ski rental service

Lite Beer

Rental shops that comply with the new standard are eligible for the department's "Merry Elephant" Thailand Tourism Standard emblem,..

Oh wow, the coveted Merry Elephant emblem...that's right up there with the Kermit the Frog emblem.

They will be counterfeiting them the next day.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The standard was drawn up "soon" after the appearance of YouTube videos showing some jet-ski rental shops in Thailand taking advantage of foreign customers.

These videos surfaced years ago probably going back 5 years with J.J threatening to shoot customers. Foreign diplomats have been raising these scams for years. So I guess if a thai says he will take care of it soon that means somewhere in 5+ years.

" So I guess if a thai says he will take care of it soon that means somewhere in 5+ years"

Have you heard, there's a new sheriff in town.? Some things are slowly changing for the better after years of inaction.

" Soon " means as soon as they can negotiate with the godfathers that running and protect the scams

I guess....

• Like 1

Merry Elephant in the Room Emblem....would that be an image of trustworthy local police acting as "negotiators" for a percentage of compensation deals for false damages. How can thugs like JJ be allowed to operate jet ski businesses here?

Thailand Tourism Scams Fixed By Merry Elephant Stickers.

http://khonkaen.ws/thailand-tourism-scams-fixed-by-merry-elephant-stickers

Thanks...I just printed a bunch out...gluing them on my jet skis for rent right now. Thanks again.

• Like 2

its a good start.. how about mandatory insurance paid by the jet ski owner

Didn't you get any further than point 1 of their "guidelines":

Second, all jet skis must be registered and licensed, with a valid insurance policy.

The standard was drawn up "soon" after the appearance of YouTube videos showing some jet-ski rental shops in Thailand taking advantage of foreign customers.

These videos surfaced years ago probably going back 5 years with J.J threatening to shoot customers. Foreign diplomats have been raising these scams for years. So I guess if a thai says he will take care of it soon that means somewhere in 5+ years.

" So I guess if a thai says he will take care of it soon that means somewhere in 5+ years"

Have you heard, there's a new sheriff in town.? Some things are slowly changing for the better after years of inaction.

He has heard it only the sheriff is not the one he likes.

How the heck can anyone - in this case a senior director of the Tourism department - be an "acting second lieutenant" (presumably, one hopes, retired)? 2LT is the bottom of the officer pile; one can't get any lower, so no-one can be an "acting" 2LT. Even a warrant officer about to be commissioned would either have his commission or he wouldn't, but he still couldn't be "acting". Quite apart from anything else, holding a rank such as that is not something to brag about and use in one's CV - even in Thailand!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

......and in Phuket, the jet-ski operators have now disobeyed the army directive to keep their jet-skis in the water and not on the beach.

They are begging the understanding of the army by claiming that the jet-ski beach boys will turn to crime if they don't get paid everyday.

Yup.....only in Thailand.

Wait a minute, isn't that what they were doing everyday?

wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

a promise, or an ACTION ?

Neither. Just pure Thai marketing.

How do you know?

He doesn't, it's just the way he is, a chronically negative Thai basher.

Merry Elephant in the Room Emblem....would that be an image of trustworthy local police acting as "negotiators" for a percentage of compensation deals for false damages. How can thugs like JJ be allowed to operate jet ski businesses here?

Thailand Tourism Scams Fixed By Merry Elephant Stickers.

http://khonkaen.ws/thailand-tourism-scams-fixed-by-merry-elephant-stickers

great slap on a sticker and it's no longer a scam

if they were serious about this, they should arrest and prosecute the mafia operator ,and their police associate who did run this scam for years.

but i guess in the land of the scam, that just a publicity stunt...nothing more.

• Like 2

well before you all break out the champagne, news of this has yet to reach pattaya beach.

today at 12 15 i saw 3 indians come back in opposite the nautical inn near mike shopping. as it happens i had watched them depart and they never went far , didn't hit each other etc but i knew they were likely to be targeted so i sat and watched it all unfold. i was joined by 2 BM's from another forum just as they came back in and we watched the panto.

they left just before 2 city council officers (not the police) showed up. lets just say i have seen these 2 before and the outcome for the tourists would have been bleak.

this event brings my running total of photographed scams to 139.

number 138 was 2 days ago opposite burger king royal garden plaza.

• Like 2

Rental shops that comply with the new standard are eligible for the department's "Merry Elephant" Thailand Tourism Standard emblem,..

Oh wow, the coveted Merry Elephant emblem...that's right up there with the Kermit the Frog emblem.

They will be counterfeiting them the next day.

Maybe they could get the guy that prints the 1000 baht/ wallpaper notes to do it for them