just found out about wifes car deal thats gone horribly wrong

You must not believe any single aspect of this story about the car deal gone terribly wrong.

That's why you cannot get involved.

Be aware that now that you are married you are responsible for 50% of any debts, or bad debts, you wife incurs.

Total Tosh 

• Like 1

Do it the Thai way...if you have good insurance on the vehicle...pay someone to burn it to the ground...collect the insurance...and pay off the debt...and forever live in fear of the big bruiser learning about your involvement...

It will probably be easier to get a new Thai wife...than to get rid of this problem...

Next time have a lawyer draw up a pre-nuptial agreement...

• Like 1

Best be prepared to bite the bullet.   Its only $3000 if the man sells the car and pays off the loan..................lol.

Other wise be prepared to eat the total 300k baht loan.

I would do the "Spoonman" trick  but warn him first, give him the option.  thumbsup.gif

I would contact the bank and immediately make the late payments. If she doesn't want to to talk to the salesman, then let her father (your idea) speak for her or some other family member. Make it clear he must surrender the car and is responsible for any damages. Who was paying the insurance? Why do I think there are some important details missing from this story?

He"s not her husband or ex, is he? Just a thought?

Having been in a similar situation, I'd recommend staying in the shadows and paying a copper to sort it out including selling it. Tell the police to say it's been repossessed.
As stated, any deals before marriage are not your legal problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by DILLIGAD

It was all going well until recently when he missed the june and july payment

Has anyone actually asked him why he missed the june/july payments.?

Proceed dependant upon his answer. Maybe he will restart payment else it's police and recover car.

Maybe i am missing something here.....but if the car is in her name and the loan is in her name.....then all she needs to do is go and ask for the keys back?

If the guy looks like a thug..... then 'rent a cop' or two, i am sure they would be willing to tag along.

At the end of the day, the other option is go to the bank and explain, because they ultimately own the car and would have a say in seeing it returned to the rightful owner.

Had the same situation once but managed to stop the deal after i hid the keys and no one could find them,,, bottom line is the car belongs to the person on the paperwork,, she

(the wife) could get the car back if she pays the debt otherwise the bank will go for it quickly, stay out of it or you will be blamed and asked to pay the cash, get the cops just to find out

what is happening (don't lose face or argue) it will be better in the long run.  Ps. Why do we always get suckered into these things,, other people create the problems then we are

suppose to wave the magic wand and fix everything or pay the cash,, i'm sort of glad to be single really, Private life dramas baby keep me out.

I think this really is a no-brainer.....now correct me if I am wrong: The only deal was that the salesman would try to sell the car?  Is he given a commission on any sale that he makes?  If no, then just make him an offer on the car!   As all money would go to your wife, then it stays with you essentially......he doesn't even have to know who you are and when he goes to change registration they you can inquire as to who the real owner is etc etc.   But if he is not being paid a commission at all, then just buy it again!  Make sense?

Could you run that past me again?   I didn't study stupidity at school!

Too many obvious retorts! :d

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think at the end of the day it depends on the written agreement that your wife made with the guy she is buying the car from.

I'm almost certain there will be no written agreement.

Agree with some of the others, I very much doubt this is the whole story, there is more to it than 'he agreed to look after the car for her and make the monthly payments'.

rolleyes.gif  Would have to agree with the likelihood of no written agreement, if there was one then there shouldn't be much of an issue.

I feel for the OP as its not a position I would like to find myself in.

Im the OP who raised this thread and appreciate the opinions. 

The latest is that my wife was paid 20k from the guy when the deal took place. I think member yankee99 might be right in saying that the guy will expect compensation ie refund of that 20k (this obviously represents 2 monthly payments). 

The wife and her parents have decided that they want to get the car back and expect the thug to go along with this. Im getting around on a moped at the moment and thus suggested that I could pay the monthly loan until its sold. Its raining a lot here anyway.... I want this all to end in a friendly manner as I dont want the guy coming after me. Im hoping there is no risk to me driving the car around in the coming months....

The latest is that my wife was paid 20k from the guy when the deal took place. I think member yankee99 might be right in saying that the guy will expect compensation ie refund of that 20k (this obviously represents 2 monthly payments). 

The wife and her parents have decided that they want to get the car back and expect the thug to go along with this. Im getting around on a moped at the moment and thus suggested that I could pay the monthly loan until its sold. Its raining a lot here anyway.... I want this all to end in a friendly manner as I dont want the guy coming after me. Im hoping there is no risk to me driving the car around in the coming months....

Thanks for the update.

Most importantly with all these things: you can pay for it if you like, but stay out of sight until things are sorted. Have them sort it out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.

Most importantly with all these things: you can pay for it if you like, but stay out of sight until things are sorted. Have them sort it out.

Agreed, only possible prob is if the lady has used a farang name on stuff.

Stay out of it and tell her to go to the cops.

They might not be able to do anything, but it's better than you getting your head bashed in by this guy and his friends.

I agree except being the farang you'll probably get blamed anyway.

Edit: ^&^^Yep & yep...

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I think this really is a no-brainer.....now correct me if I am wrong: The only deal was that the salesman would try to sell the car?  Is he given a commission on any sale that he makes?  If no, then just make him an offer on the car!   As all money would go to your wife, then it stays with you essentially......he doesn't even have to know who you are and when he goes to change registration they you can inquire as to who the real owner is etc etc.   But if he is not being paid a commission at all, then just buy it again!  Make sense?

Makes sense to me tongue.png

Basically the wife was dumb (sorry laugh.png ), into believing that the sales would find a way to sell her car. But it turns out, the sales might be using the car for himself and paying "rental". So now the husband, can walk in, and give an offer on "that car". Sales will phone up the miss, says there's a buyer. On the day, the husband shows up pretending not to know the wife, and they make the deal. Money goes from husband to wife. Car is back home. biggrin.png

Simple answer, and we all kept looking for one. hahaclap2.gif

I can see where some people would accept that, but wouldn't it be a lot easier if she just asked for her car back?

This business of the husband buying the car seems like a lot of rigmarole. 

JacChang has an idea which may work but if the car salesman is half crooked (sorry lads but many of you are) he is unlikely to summon the lady wife owner to the car sales pitch to accept the payment direct from the husband.  He is more than likely to pocket half the proceeds and maybe not even pass on anything at all to the owner !  That could happen. Sorry.

Ascertain where the car is. Tell the bank no payments will be forthcoming and that they should reposes the car. Once they have reposesed the car, pay them the two or three months that is owed and whatever fees involved in the repossession. Sell the car in the proper way and repay the loan.

T

And destroy her credit rating by having the car repossessed?  That's exactly what they want to avoid.

Ascertain where the car is. Tell the bank no payments will be forthcoming and that they should reposes the car. Once they have reposesed the car, pay them the two or three months that is owed and whatever fees involved in the repossession. Sell the car in the proper way and repay the loan.

T

And destroy her credit rating by having the car repossessed?  That's exactly what they want to avoid.

If credit rating is as big a deal here as it is in the US, then certainly that is something to consider. I don't know that it is.

In any case, they are in arrears now so their credit rating is already suffering.

T

T

Thakkar is right on the money here. This is what my father in laws attorney said that we should do. If we do it this way we do not have to deal with an angry thai thug. We can get the car back from the finance company next week and catch up on payments. Sell the car and then the problem is over. 

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Makes sense to me alt=tongue.png>

Basically the wife was dumb (sorry alt=laugh.png> ), into believing that the sales would find a way to sell her car. But it turns out, the sales might be using the car for himself and paying "rental". So now the husband, can walk in, and give an offer on "that car". Sales will phone up the miss, says there's a buyer. On the day, the husband shows up pretending not to know the wife, and they make the deal. Money goes from husband to wife. Car is back home. alt=biggrin.png>

Simple answer, and we all kept looking for one. haha alt=clap2.gif>

I can see where some people would accept that, but wouldn't it be a lot easier if she just asked for her car back?

This business of the husband buying the car seems like a lot of rigmarole. 

Of course, if it was that easy, the OP wouldn't have to post here. Seems like the obvious answer, but it seems like he doesn't want to confront that salesman. So...

If it was me, I'll divorce the wife tongue.png

Too problematic, high maintenance.

Was the car bought on the first car scheme ?

I just asked my wife about this and yes it was.... I assume this means that she is not allowed to sell it before 5 yrs. I cant believe this story gets worse.

The open two month payments I pay from his 20.000 Baht, he paid in advance.

Then, I wait if the next month payment is made, give him than, 2 weeks deadline.

If your wife, still has the second or third key to the car, I would bring the car back myself, without question.

If not, I would ask the car dealership for a replacement key or the help of a car-locksmith to open the car and replace the ignition lock.

He, does not get any money back from his payments.

I presume, he used the car in the time himself, so, that money he paid until now, is a already cheap rent, 9.000 Baht in the month.

I am, or my wife is morally right and he can be big as a WWE wrestling star, I not care.

Edited by ALFREDO

Why don't you ask a lawyer instead of some Farangs who will give you 20 different pieces of advise? You can event do that here, on T.V. My personal thought is that you, specifically, are helpless without legal advise. You will never sort out a Thai on Thai problem so don't even try. Good luck

• Like 1

Was the car bought on the first car scheme ?

I just asked my wife about this and yes it was.... I assume this means that she is not allowed to sell it before 5 yrs. I cant believe this story gets worse.

She can sell it if she returns the rebate. 100K or however much she got.

• Like 2