One Year Extension - New Requirement (Google Map)

To receive a one year extension you must have proof of residence (house book, lease, etc.) and also a Google map of your residence. I am in the SIO this morning and listening to several people, especially older ones who have never heard of Google, complaining to the desk officer that their house book is enough proof, but they are not bending. You can get one across the street for 100 baht, but just be prepared. Also, I was the first one in at 8:30 and they still told me to come back at 2:00 pm, which is a real pain, since I live in Chaweng and have nothing to do in Nathon. I will give further details later today when I return if there are any other problems.

• Like 1

The guys are samui immigration are notorious. The first time I visited and asked about a one year retirement visa, the boss there told me I would have to provide a new cell phone for each of the 10 people working in that office. Those guys make up the rules, on a daily basis. Like nearly everything else on Samui, they are a law unto themselves. The central government, and to a large extent the Surat government allows Samui to fend for itself, and rarely gets involved. They do not call it the Wild, Wild West for nothing.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

The guys are samui immigration are notorious. The first time I visited and asked about a one year retirement visa, the boss there told me I would have to provide a new cell phone for each of the 10 people working in that office. Those guys make up the rules, on a daily basis. Like nearly everything else on Samui, they are a law unto themselves. The central government, and to a large extent the Surat government allows Samui to fend for itself, and rarely gets involved. They do not call it the Wild, Wild West for nothing.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Let's be fair here , they have changed a lot in the last year. Everything basically by the book. They are short tempered, I would be too having to deal with some of these idiotic people everyday with their silly questions & getting dressed like they are on the beach.

I hope you are right. For everyone's sake. That was a few years ago.

No, never been evicted from SIO or anywhere else for that matter. Everyone in Samui knows the long history of corruption at SIO, just do a search on TV, but this is simply a message to warn the people who trek all the way there that they need to be prepared to have the proper paperwork.

A couple of weeks ago I did my retirement extension at Nakhon Sawan.

Nobody asked for a Google map and the staff were as usual friendly and helpful and quite a few of them speak good English.

I arrived at 10 am and was going out of the door finished at 10.40.

Thinking back to that time all the front office staff were female. They spoke pleasantly and smiled a lot even to a German lady who was loudly complaining that she spoke no Thai and only had poor English skills.

I had no problem and didn't even drink any free coffee that was available. Dressed in a clean shirt and trousers and sandals (excused boots because of an ingrowing toenail) and during my waiting time i read a book that I brought.

Perhaps the Immigration people at Sanui need more information than Nakhon Sawan.

Bill,

I agree that NS is a great office. I lived in Samui from 1997 to 2004. But, if NS got some of the characters that the Samui office gets I'm sure that it would be a totally different story!

I started the same topic last week since I was asked for a "satelite" photo Google Earth for the same reason. My topic was suppresed (not closed) by Maestro, I did PM him politely to ask why, since he did not bother to answer and having nothing to sell but only warn my fellow members in Samui, I forgot it.

Hi: Just returned with my new one year and reentry permit. It was waiting for me when I got back to SIO at 2pm. There is a new Thai lady manager there who is very polite and efficient, but didn't get her name. So, my only real complaint is why don't they have an officer there in the morning who can sign these things? Anyway, happy to be done for one year.

I heard some interesting/funny things when they asked for the Google map. An older French couple asked me where they could find Mr. Google. Another guy started shouting that a copy of his house book was all that was required. An officer from the back heard the commotion, came out front, and said to him that the new rule had been in effect for two months. So, when you go there w/o your Google map and they refuse you, just think of this op.

Hi: Just returned with my new one year and reentry permit. It was waiting for me when I got back to SIO at 2pm. There is a new Thai lady manager there who is very polite and efficient, but didn't get her name. So, my only real complaint is why don't they have an officer there in the morning who can sign these things? Anyway, happy to be done for one year.

I heard some interesting/funny things when they asked for the Google map. An older French couple asked me where they could find Mr. Google. Another guy started shouting that a copy of his house book was all that was required. An officer from the back heard the commotion, came out front, and said to him that the new rule had been in effect for two months. So, when you go there w/o your Google map and they refuse you, just think of this op.

As far as I'm concerned he asked me : "come back tomorrow" and by the way kept my bank book (even thought he had a copy certified by my bank) and also my passport for this time.

Hello,

What kind of visa are u trying to extend?

ED Visa??

What are the fees they charge to give you 1 year stamp on passport?

Kind Regards and Good luck

Most likely it would be a marriage or retirement extension of stay that is being dicussed.

Visas are never extended. In some cases, your permission to stay may be extended.

If you have a question about a Non-Imm Ed visa or an extension of stay to continue with your studies, it should be posted in the Visa forum rather than just randomly in a thread about a different topic. You could also search existing threads there for that information.

Try these links to start:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/page-1?hl=+stricter

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/746131-education-visa-year-after-year-how-does-it-work/?p=8158560&hl=%2Beducation+%2Bextension

Edited by Suradit69

A recent 90 report was conducted in 10 mins.

I noted the announcement on the wall re housebook or rental contract, but didn't see anything about google/map.

HTH

The 90 day reports, are generally very fast...thumbsup.gif .... it's the yearly renewal of retirement visa that tends to take longer .... seems to me I had to go back the next day, last year...

I was hoping things may have improved after SBC's comments! I will find out on the 26th! wink.png

I have also seen the notice about House Book or Rental Contract, no mention of (Google) map.

Last 90-days report a couple of weeks ago took “painfully” long time – so many and in between impatient people, and lots of agents with stacks of migrant worker passports – back after an hour to look for passport, waited another hour until one of the kind young ladies took my number and walked to the back, returned with passport and immediately did the 90-day on the computer. Normally they have always serviced me within very reasonable time, even had annual extensions done immediately. wai.gif

Sometimes – or rather every day – it must be very stressful to work in that office, I’m impressed the staff can keep calm and polite...

Saw the other tread about moving Samui Immigration Office to Maenam some time in the near future and the photo of the new building under construction, hopefully that may improve the conditions on both side of the desk… thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

This is from Thaivisa today (note item #11):

For other Samui-based Non-Imm O-A holders, this was my experience this week when applying for an Extension of Stay and a Multiple Re-entry Permit at the Nathon Immigration Office.

For interest, I was told that the office will move to new offices in Maenam Soi 1 in October this year.

Extension of Stay August 2014

CHECKLIST

Note: This is exactly as done/used by me in August 2014

Can apply within 7 working days of expiry of current permission to stay (mine was expiring August 17th and I submitted my application on 6th August)

Can submit re-entry permit application at same time and both will be processed together

1. Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, TM.7

2. One photo 4cm x 6cm

3. Application fee of THB1,900

4. Original passports (and in my case, as my original Non-Imm O-A Visa was in an old passport, the old passport as well)

5. Photocopies of passport pages

a. Identity page showing picture, name, and date issued, etc.

b. Page showing the original Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A”

c. Page(s) showing each subsequent one year extension, if applicable

d. Page showing the last entry stamp into Thailand (Note: I also included a copy of the page with my entry stamp for my first entry on the original Non-Immigrant Visa)

6. Photocopy of Departure Card, TM.6 (the card is stapled in your passport)

7. Original letter from Bank certifying account and showing balance (dated in my case the day before application).

8. Photocopy of bank passbook identity page and copies of past 3 months balances (also take original in case they ask to see it -- they didn't in my case)

9. Health certificate from doctor (perhaps only Samui has this on the list)

10. Evidence of current address: Samui Immigration girl said just a copy of the house book (my name is not in it) will suffice and that is all that I submitted.

11. Google Maps printout showing location of my house (asked for by Immigration girl when I submitted everything else!)

REMEMBER TO SIGN ALL PHOTOCOPIES

Re-Entry Permit August 2014

CHECKLIST

Note: I submitted this application along with the application for extension of stay and they processed both together.

1. Completed Form TM.8 Application for Re-Entry Permit Into the Kingdom.

2. Photograph 4cm x 6cm

3. Photocopies from Passport:

a. Identity page
b. Page showing current permit to stay stamp

c. Page showing stamp for last date entered Thailand

4. Photocopy of TM.6 Departure Card (the card is stapled in your passport)

5. Application fee of THB3,800

REMEMBER to sign each photocopy

I submitted all this on Wednesday afternoon, and was told to come back the next afternoon to collect my passport. Thursday afternoon I was told that although the girl there had put the stamps in my passport, the boss was not in today to sign the extension/re-entry permit (busy supervising the new office build in Maenam), so please come back again Friday afternoon, which I did, and my passport was then returned together with the correct stamps.

• Like 1

»9. Health certificate from doctor (perhaps only Samui has this on the list)«

That seems new, never been asked for a Health certificate before…

Anyone else who have any experience about that…?

»9. Health certificate from doctor (perhaps only Samui has this on the list)«
That seems new, never been asked for a Health certificate before…
Anyone else who have any experience about that…?

Years ago I used to be asked for that one. I took one from SIH once and Birdman turned me away. Said that it had to come from a government doctor/hospital.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have anything recent on the health certificate?

If it is the same as the drivers licence it is just to ensure you have a pulse!

Going in a few days early just in case, never know how The Birdman is on any given day.

Anyone have anything recent on the health certificate?

If it is the same as the drivers licence it is just to ensure you have a pulse!

Going in a few days early just in case, never know how The Birdman is on any given day.

The post just above your's.smile.png

• Like 1