One Year Extension - New Requirement (Google Map)

<Intentionally deleted>

Could you please explain how to do the Google Map business; I have tried and failed several times to get the information box on the page. Thanks.

I can tell how I did mine that was accepted by Samui Immigration last week.
Go to Google Map, increase with “+” to a fairly detailed map, and point at the position you live. The coordinates will appear in the box at upper left (close eventually adds or other info in the box).
You may probably just print out the map and mark your house with a pen.
I took a PrintScreen and changed to satellite and took another PrintScreen of that. Both PrintScreens ended up in PhotoShop where I placed an Arrow to point at my place of living – or similar graphic program; or print to a PDF-writer if you have one installed, and open it as PDF and place a mark on house in there before printing. Then I printed both maps and stapled them together with the copy of my Yellow House Book (2 pages, both address page and the page with my name) – or lease contract and copy of owners Blue House Book. Remember to sign all photocopies. Save all files so you can use the maps next year, just print, if not moved.
If you don’t have a graphic program or know how to use one, you can press the F11 tap while in the browser with map, then you have the map in Full Screen, press the Print Screen tap, press F11 again to close the Full Screen, and open Word (or similar text program) and Paste (Ctrl+V); your ScreenPrint shall now appear as an image in Word – you can insert a Text Box on top of the image and mark your house or write the house number, I presume that will be accepted – all ready to be saved as file and printed.
Some posters have mentioned, that if the coordinates are missing, they got their Google Map rejected.
  • Like 1

A big article in the news section about corruption & how to deal with it. I hope he get's caught big time, the biggest crook I have ever seen & not a bit shy about it.

His day will come & they will wipe that smug look off his face..

+1

I believe in Karma. He will get his comeuppance. wai.gif

Tchooptip - you did OK at 5,000 baht. I remember someone posting on here that he had paid 40,000 baht for a retirement extension.

I too hope this low life bird man gets his comeuppance. Last year he tried the 5000 baht demand with me but I totally refused and thankfully got away with it.

What could I really do if he refused the extension ??

Recently renewing my extension he obviously remembered me and was obnoxious and rude but didnt ask for the 5000.

I was required to have a doctors letter too and that 'no sign of a house' google map. they make it up as they go.

• Like 1

I checked on other forums,several are now asking for a Google map of where you live. The one across the road from the office, have a special program supplied by the Samui immigration , hence the ability to insert that little box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Read today an OP in Thai visas, residency and work permits, and I quote:

»Went to Immigration today for my retirement visa and was given an envelope with a red form which had to be taken to a hospital for a blood test looking for those two drugs specificity. Apparently this new order came into affect as of this Monday, a pain because of the 3 hours it takes, what next I wonder?«
And a further down in reply to a question: »Which immigration office was this?«
Answer from OP: »Nathon Imigration on Koa Samui«
A bit scaring - not the test, but the time (and money) wasted. sad.png
Has anyone else here (on Samui) heard about that...?
  • Like 1

Yes - I had to do this when I first had my retirement visa some 13 years ago. It was also required for one year extensions. It stopped after a few years. You had to have the tests done at Nathon government hospital.

Since then I have changed my visa but it could be that immigration just got lazy and dropped the tests and are now having to bring them back in.

• Like 2

I ran into an American I know, at Nathon Hospital the other day, he had been sent there to get a medical letter, from a hospital doctor ...

He had already got one from a "clinic doctor " but they would not accept it .... He was renewing his Retirement Visa ...facepalm.gifblink.png

• Like 1

Bottom line is that they do not like us...even remotely. We are an irritant.

On another note....does anyone know if the requirement for a copy of lease/house book is being applied to three month reporting?

Cheers

That is a strange conclusion based on information presented so far.

A more logical conclusion would be to say that the rule has always been there but that it was not enforced. Now it is resurrected.

A bit like helmet checks (more common now) and even drunk driving. Again - the law was always there - just not enforced.

Replying to your question - I have never had to produce a copy of my house book for the 90 day reporting. My 90 day report is due in one month.

I ran into an American I know, at Nathon Hospital the other day, he had been sent there to get a medical letter, from a hospital doctor ...

He had already got one from a "clinic doctor " but they would not accept it .... He was renewing his Retirement Visa ...facepalm.gifblink.png

Morphine and Amphetamine Tests now required for Retirement Visa in Nathon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776469-morphine-and-amphetamine-tests-now-required-for-retirement-visa/

Bottom line is that they do not like us...even remotely. We are an irritant.

On another note....does anyone know if the requirement for a copy of lease/house book is being applied to three month reporting?

Cheers

To say they don't like is making it too personal. Reality is they don't want us here as such, thats patently obvious, but, money is number one here and they want our money more so they put up with us.

• Like 1

Used to be like that years ago.Just back to the old system.

Seems only for some people? unless they have changed it again in the last couple of months or so, because I did not need one

.... I wish they would be more consistent...wink.png

Got my retirement extension renewed little more than two weeks ago, no requirements - but this year I did not have pleasure of an always polite (to me) officer, I believe others are referring to to as "Birdman"... whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Based on a recent visit, It appears that now the Samui immigration office requires a certain style of a Google map as a required document for the yearly extension.

Can any of the "regulars" suggest a URL so I can download this mystery map software?

I've looked and , so far, no luck...

It is not''a certain style'' of Google Map. It is your house/location on Google Map.

In case you do not know, across the street of Nathon's immigration a lady in a little shop will do it for you for 100Baht

150 Baht now.

Based on a recent visit, It appears that now the Samui immigration office requires a certain style of a Google map as a required document for the yearly extension.

Can any of the "regulars" suggest a URL so I can download this mystery map software?

I've looked and , so far, no luck...

Did my annual extension a month ago. Used Google Earth. Put a Pin on your house and in the associated box type in the Latitude and Longtitude shown for the pin into the Description with your name and address. Save. This will then show on the map next to the Pin. Centre onto the pin and save that image. Print.

I did that and they accepted that without question.

It is not''a certain style'' of Google Map. It is your house/location on Google Map.

In case you do not know, across the street of Nathon's immigration a lady in a little shop will do it for you for 100Baht

150 Baht now.

150 Baht for that its a shame since a simple photocopy every where is...5 baht.

Did my annual extension a month ago. Used Google Earth. Put a Pin on your house and in the associated box type in the Latitude and Longtitude shown for the pin into the Description with your name and address. Save. This will then show on the map next to the Pin. Centre onto the pin and save that image. Print.

I did that and they accepted that without question.

Did the same and added address in English and Thai script.

No problems.

Evidence of current address

Would not a certificate of residence be sufficient, which is obtained at immigration by showing your lease agreement and occasionally something that can verify that you live there, such as a 3BB bill letter to your house, or True Visions monthly guide, for instance.

What possible use could Google maps provide? What about Bing maps? What about a photocopy of a paper map with your location circled?

Would not a certificate of residence be sufficient, which is obtained at immigration by showing your lease agreement and occasionally something that can verify that you live there, such as a 3BB bill letter to your house, or True Visions monthly guide, for instance.

What possible use could Google maps provide? What about Bing maps? What about a photocopy of a paper map with your location circled?

Because Immigration specific asks for a Google Map and Lease Agreement / House Book - you can try to discuss the matter with the Immigration Officer - however, don't expect they will accept anything else than what they specific asks for... smile.png

• Like 2

Because Immigration specific asks for a Google Map and Lease Agreement / House Book - you can try to discuss the matter with the Immigration Officer - however, don't expect they will accept anything else than what they specific asks for... smile.png

Besides that fact, Thai house numbering is rather random, it seems. For instance the house number 27/5 in Moo 1 may not be located next to 28/1 or even 27/4 or 27/6 but a distance away on a very different plot of land. A Google map makes it very clear where your house/residence actually is.

• Like 1

Besides that fact, Thai house numbering is rather random, it seems.

Not random, follows the order the land was given chanote title, totally logical. wink.png

Might be, but I’m not sure.

Seems like the house number were same before Chanote title deed was granted, but the slash-number changed. For example my house, 195/5, was just 195 before when having plain Nor Sor 3 deed. However the original owner/family had or had, had several plots, so after upgrade to Chanote title and some years later requesting a House Book for the new build house, it became xxx/5, other 195/x houses are spread around the village. Could also be that the slash-number comes in or change when a house is demolished and a new one build instead. wink.png

“Postman Pat” of course knows the houses by number, so if you only have the number, you can go to the post office and ask. They will call a postman knowing the district and he will draw a map for a 100-baht fee. Have tried it, because a postman delivering a letter asked me to use at slash-number, as other houses also used number 195 – even the number was on the previous owner’s original old House Book that I had a copy of. The Postman at the post office made a fine hand drawn map leading to house number 195: my house...! When I told that the house was mine, the Postmaster and postman laughed and said, in that case the map drawing was for free... biggrin.png
Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

I was told it was 'when' the house was built.

I live in area 8 off Moo 5. The first house that I built was the 11th house in area 8. So - 8/11. When my second house was built, it was the 23rd house in area 8 (next door to no 11) So - 8/23. The next house that I built was no 56 and so on. 3 houses next to each other - no's 11, 23 and 56.

Logical really, but no much help for postman pat. So I had to go to the main post office in Chaweng and draw a map and showed them my houses in relation to one that 'pat' already knew. Since then, the post has been pretty good. Always late recently though.

• Like 2

Thanks. Interesting, make some sense.

However my neighbor is 230/7, and that was the first house ever build on the beach, whilst the two new houses next are 248/16 and 248/14, build just before (/14) and right after my house (/16); both on sub-divisions from a single family’s plot that to my knowledge were sub-divided long time ago into two plots for heirs, and even later one of the two was sub-divided once more into two smaller plots, now 248/14 and 248/16.

I know of one other house number 195, same main-number as mine, that’s 195/1, and that is an older building (relative, maybe 20+ years old) quite a bit from me.

So that does not fit clearly with area, as the houses next to each other on the beach otherwise logically should be of same main-number... whistling.gif

Not to get off topic, discussing house numbers, but rather show the importance for the Immigration requesting a (Google) map, the above posts made me curios to seek an explanation. English Wikipedia writes:

»Thai muban (หมู่บ้าน) correspond only loosely to actual settlements, which may well have separate names, but these are not used for addresses. They are divided into groups mu (หมู่), often transliterated moo or abbreviated "M", which are divided into numbered plots (บ้านเลขที่ ban lek ti), which may (or may not) contain multiple houses. All numbers are assigned in the order they were originally registered, and generally do not follow any geographical or logical sequence

(sic.)

...a typical address in Phuket[4] might be:

7/22 Moo 5

Soi Ta-ied (Soi Chaofa 50), Chaofa West Road

Chalong

Phuket 83130

Thailand

This corresponds to house 22 on plot 7, Mu 5, Soi 50 off Chaofa West Road, Chalong Subdistrict, Mueang Phuket District (omitted), Phuket Province.

(sic.)

The Wikipedia article is here:

The link to the “Muban” main article does not give much better explanation:

»Mu, in the sense of group (of homes in a tambon,) are assigned numbers in the sequence in which each is entered in a register maintained in the district or branch-district office.«

(sic.)

thumbsup.gif