Bualuang iBanking - can't activate SMS authentication (Bangkok Bank)

I opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank a while ago, so I could do some of the basic things bank accounts are used for, you know, such as paying my rent.. 

When I try to set up a new recipient online on Bualuang iBanking, it tells me I first need to activate SMS authentication to get an OTP password. When I follow the instructions, go through the selections and insert my card number and pin code, it puts me in a queue to talk to someone at the call centre.. I wasted nearly 100 baht of credit listening to their music, and gave up after no one answered.

I went to the bank today to tell them to activate my SMS authentication so I can pay my rent online. After chatting to her colleagues for a while, the lady took me to one of their dusty old laptops so I could sign in to my iBanking account and add a new recipient. Then they did exactly what I already did, but now they were listening to the music. After 15 minutes she told me "Line busy!" ..... well no shit the line is busy, that's why I came here in the first place because no one is ever answering that line. 

So she tells me there is nothing they can do and the only way is to call that number. 

Do I need to change banks?

Bangkok Bank ibanking support can indeed be frustrating sometimes.  Over the years with Bangkok Bank I've only had two very frustrating ibanking support issues...first one around two years ago dealt with a passport number update that caused problems for two weeks (turns out that problem was caused by a Bangkok Bank branch not correctly updating the new number...made a one digit typo...in their system which impacted some of my ibanking capability).  Second problem occurred in late Jun 14 when Bangkok Bank changed how it handles the modification of Reference 1 numbers for bill payments...that SMS change occurred 18 Jun 14 if I  remember right. 

Recent ibanking problem:  In mid Jun 14 Bangkok Bank changed their bill payment module to requiring a OTP whenever you need to change the Ref 1 billing number...and I have a few utility bills that change the last three digits of their Ref 1 number each month.   So when "initially" adding a payee where you enter Service Code and the Ref 1 number I would only enter the part of the Ref 1 number that never changed on the monthly billing, which was everything but usually the last three digits.  But beginning mid Jun 14 any change to the Ref 1 number like adding in the last few numbers required a OTP, which I was not getting when I tried to make some bill payments in late Jun 14.  

Now I had been using OTPs as I use it a couple times per year to do 3d party transfers like  transferring monthly to my insurance broker to pay my annual car insurance....the last such transfer were earlier in the year and I got a OTP to accomplish that transfer.   Buy anyway, now I was not getting any OTP needed to pay some of my montly utility bills.  Called the Bangkok Bank Call Center for ibanking support and talked to reps three times over the first week in working the problem...they were continuing to work the problem...they said the OTP was going out according to their records but maybe AIS which they are on contract with to transmit the OTPs were having problems...Bangkok Bank tech support was checking with AIS.  

In my separate call to my cell phone provider, DTAC, they confirmed I had no numbers blocked and their engineers reviewed all incoming SMS to me over the days I said the OTP SMS were supposedly transmitted and confirmed no such SMSs from Bangkok Bank had arrived my DTAC number...and I had already checked my phone settings numerous times to ensure I didn't have any numbers blocked.  Anyway on the 4th call to Bangkok Bank Call Center ibanking support they said their research indicated my OTP was going to an "international" number...they read out the number and it was just a local Thai number and with the exception of one middle digit it was my local cell number.  So, my OTPs were going out but going to the wrong number.  

Now my first call to the ibanking support had asked me to confirm my cell number which I did...but on the 4th call when they asked again but this time said one number is wrong.   Remember, I use to get SMSs from Bangkok  Bank and I've had the same DTAC number for years, but somehow one digit of my cell number got changed in Bangkok Bank records.  Now ibanking support could not/would not make the cell phone correction during our trouble call...I had to go to a nearby branch and submit a cell number update for ibanking paperwork...the branch rep said it would take 6 days to update...it took 4 or 5 days.

Don't know how my phone number ended up with one typo in it...the typo was in the middle three digits were it's suppose to be XXX-XX0-XXXX but it was XXX-XX4-XXXX in their records.    I did open an additional Bangkok Bank savings account in Dec 13 using my current/same cell number so some might say the typo entered at that point, but I was still getting SMSs from Bangkok Bank in the earlier part of 2014. 

Like the OP my particular call plan charges extra for calls to 4 digit numbers...they are not treated as part of my monthly postpaid plan allowance of minutes...since the Bangkok Bank Call Center number of 1333 is a four digit number I racked up over a 100 extras baht in cell charges last month...I confirmed this with DTAC.  Now if  you call Bangkok Bank number 02-645-5555 versus 1333 you will end up at the same place as if dialing 1333 direct and possibly save an special 4 digit number charges your call plan may apply....so many different call plans with fine print.  

But what I was so pissed about is the first ibanking rep I talked to didn't spot the cell number error...she asked...I gave my number...she said OK and then we continued on with the call. But over a week later a different ibanking rep asked to confirm the number again and spotted the typo.  If only that first rep had been attentive and spotted the cell number typo I wouldn't have been down in making certain ibanking payments for approx two weeks, had to make numerous follow-up problem resolution calls, and ran up an additional 100 baht or so in cell charges.  

Yeap, Thai bank ibanking can get frustrating sometimes especially due to language challenges/miscommuications and all to often the need to go to a branch to submit paperwork to fix some problem....just can't do it over the phone.  But overall I'm still a happy customers with Bangkok Bank although ibanking problem resolution can get frustrating sometimes.

Just this morning I was able to activate OTP on Bualuang Banking after having the same problems as you getting through to their phone support. The difference was that this morning I called at 07:00 and got someone to pick up after only two rings. 

• 4 years later...

Excuse bump but similar issues today get this message

I have of course I have tried calling the bank for almost 2 hours, but am sick at present and unable to drive to bank and need to pay someone who only uses Bangkok Bank.

Website says

So many customers are currently accessing Bualuang iBanking that the service is currently overloaded. Please try your request again later. We apologize for the inconvenience. (UI-99)

If anyone here can advise, I won't hold it against you if wrong, but I need no comments on how poor the service or how much better my own bank Kasikorn or SCB is thank you.

I just need to get bualuang working before Monday, I know they maintain at night and slow at weekends holidays, but today is not a holiday.

My issue trying to add Payee 
I have all details correct I receive the OTP immediatly where it says 
-------------------------------

Add Account number for  e.g 1234xxx7890

enter OTP
-----------------------------------------------

The account number is sent to my phone in a disguised format e.g if the Account were normal 10 digit 123-4-567890 it is sent as 1234xxx890, any BKK Bank cutomer will be familiar.
I wondered if perhaps its a glitch in English software and if ts working in Thai or on aPC

it ask write account number in this format which seems odd

1234xxx

You cannot enter the hypehn /dash character on their website on the website only the ten digits

I have tried entering whole ten number
I have tried entering the 3 missing digits 
I have tried adding on the last 7 digits

Any practical solution welcome. I have tried on Android phone /tablet and a Windows Chrome computer to no avail
I have never had any such issue before.and am sure it is the genuine bank website I have used already today for internal transfers

Is it worth trying another browser I have Edge Opera and Firefox on old laptops?

Edited by RubbaJohnny
more data