Whew - Caused Myself 3 Nervous Days

pgrahmm

Went in to my visa service place here in CM (excellent) to drop off my passport for my 90 day check in.....usually I drop it off and get it back the same day - however this time I'd made an error and I was a month + overdue........

I am here on a retirement visa which runs May to May.....I always have this place take care of it because their service has been outstanding/cost manageable/trouble free and I've referred friends there that have had some difficulties and they've come through for everyone -  every time.....now I guess it was my "turn".....

My last check in was in January due to some international travel, (you can see where this is going).....the time before I'd checked in in and when I received my passport back they'd cleared me until my retirement visa was due in May (120 days).....not knowing whether this was a courtesy or a mistake I had them check me in at the 90 day interval In April rather than chance it......

Fast forward now - renewed the visa in May thinking May to August = 90 days.....oops - was due the 2nd of July.....I trudge on into the agent and they point out I'm 30+ past my check in.....I leave my passport with them but I'm a little uneasy knowing I'd unwittingly done the wrong thing (90 days past visa/120+ past check in)......

Usually I get my passport back same day......Wednesday goes  - Thursday goes & Friday rolls around and no word - nervous now.....I call in and told "your passport is at immigration, we'll call you when it's ready" - - - does not make me feel better.

Finally - at 3PM I get the call - come in and get your passport........all is OK........sad.png .....thumbsup.gif .....clap2.gif  

Moral/lesson of the story, I guess is, no matter how sure you are it's not a bad idea to double check (dates/calendar/paperwork) during these transitionary times..... (even if you are as cock sure as I was you were 100% on track) - I'd had visions of flying out and back in or other problems/hurdles/reset that might have/could have taken place in these uncertain times......

I've been textbook perfect and trouble free (no trouble or undo negative attention) up until now; and plan to remain so - gratefully, I still am.....

We can bitch/praise/complain/condemn/take things for granted/play on TVF because we are free to - but when you screw up you never know where/when/how the hammer can come down.....

Might not hurt to double check everything once in awhile.....just for drill.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

Glad it worked out for you but cant understand why the service, if its only a 90 day report, 1 form/photocopies, post it and done. How hard is that ?

Is it the overstay bit?

Glad it worked out for you but cant understand why the service, if its only a 90 day report, 1 form/photocopies, post it and done. How hard is that ?

I was worried about being 120+ days...the form and photocopies are easy - CM immigration is like a 6 hour chaotic free for all starting with 4AM risings to fight for a place in line to grab a number when they open the door....for 1000B per year they handle it all & all I have to do is drop off/pick up the passport.....

I have not tried the posting thus far - I started this before it was available...on this time around I'd missed the reporting date - thus worried.....

• Like 1

I can't work out what the big deal is. You missed your report date by about 30 days. You go in, they fine you 2000B, no problem, unless you make a habit of doing it, this is all that ever happens. This is what I did - completely painless.

The extension of the period you are permitted to stay on your visa, and all the conditions of your  stay are completely unaffected by whether you have done your 90-day reports or not.  

What were you afraid might happen?

• Like 1

You might want to read the 90 day sagas in the CM forum to get an idea.  Posting 90 days, on again off again, going in person 5 minutes or 2 hours, etc. smile.png

I can't work out what the big deal is. You missed your report date by about 30 days. You go in, they fine you 2000B, no problem, unless you make a habit of doing it, this is all that ever happens. This is what I did - completely painless.

The extension of the period you are permitted to stay on your visa, and all the conditions of your  stay are completely unaffected by whether you have done your 90-day reports or not.  

What were you afraid might happen?

I wasn't sure since I'd never miss-stepped - but it didn't cost 1B......zip - nada.....

He wasn't on overstay -- he was late with his 90 day report. If it was a habitual problem, it might have raised some eyebrows and they could have asked to see him in person, I suppose, but it's OK for another person to do your 90 day report. I'm from CM and yes, it can take up to 2 hours (and even longer) to do your 90 day report. Longer when several people ahead of you in the queue are late with their 90 day reports and the officer has to take time to fill out the receipt for the fine.

Also, mail-in reporting isn't a good option in CM. The service is very unreliable and they don't like to handle mail-in 90 day reports for people from Muang district. For a long time, they totally suspended mailing-in 90 day reporting.

I totally understand the OP's feelings. Hubby was late with his once. That was when he and I were "out of sync" with our reporting and the only reason he realized he was late was because I was getting ready one morning to do mine. So, I handled his (overdue) 90 day report the same day and we've been in-sync since. Now the 90 day date is marked in red letters on the calendar. That 2000 baht fine could be better spent on a nice evening out!
  • Like 1

Moral of the story should be "keep your business to yourself"  It's an indexed public forum that Thai officials are welcome to read and crack down upon.

I agree.....I posted to hopefully be of benefit to others to double check.....just in case....

Moral of the story should be "keep your business to yourself"  It's an indexed public forum that Thai officials are welcome to read and crack down upon.

I agree.....I posted to hopefully be of benefit to others to double check.....just in case....

No good deed goes unpunished here...

• Like 1

Really this is more scaremongering - what possible "crackdown" could there be on people who forget to do their 90-day report and then do it when they remember?

Seriously this is a non-event, and as likely to evoke a "crackdown" as eating an ice lolly. It's fine to post about it and it's fine to comment on it.

The law in Thailand is that anyone staying in Thailand for 90 consecutive days has a legal obligation to report their address to the authorities. If you don't do it the punishment is a minor fine. That's it.  

It has nothing to do with overstays, misusing visas, permission to stay in the country or visa fraud. It is forgetting to make a report, like forgetting to pay a bill. You remember, you do it, and providing you are not a continual and habitual offender there are no implications or consequences whatsoever.

Really this is more scaremongering - what possible "crackdown" could there be on people who forget to do their 90-day report and then do it when they remember?

Seriously this is a non-event, and as likely to evoke a "crackdown" as eating an ice lolly. It's fine to post about it and it's fine to comment on it.

The law in Thailand is that anyone staying in Thailand for 90 consecutive days has a legal obligation to report their address to the authorities. If you don't do it the punishment is a minor fine. That's it.  

It has nothing to do with overstays, misusing visas, permission to stay in the country or visa fraud. It is forgetting to make a report, like forgetting to pay a bill. You remember, you do it, and providing you are not a continual and habitual offender there are no implications or consequences whatsoever.

It's how he phrased it.  Visa service, 90 day check in and dropped off his passport. 

He reported his address, didn't need a visa service or to drop off his passport, and he posted it in the wrong forum, (general). 

It's simple, fill out the form take it to immigration and report your address every 90 days.  If you are late there may be a fine.  

If you want to scare people talk about not getting your passport back, anything with the word visa in it and post it in the general forum.  No one has to check in with immigration every 90 days with a retirement extension. 

I think it was just an unfortunate choice of words.  One does not check in (you don't have to go anywhere) you (or anyone else you ask to, reports it) simply report your address. 

They couldn't find you if they wanted to  anyway.  How many people working there do you think can actually read your address in English? 

Edited by thailiketoo

No form needed for 90 day report now, they just scan your passport and a form is printed out.

They rip the bottom piece off the form and staple it to the passport, thank you see you in 90 days.

Dude, I think you suffer from catastrophic thinking.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-the-face-adversity/201103/catastrophic-thinking

I can recommend a good therapist if you want.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-the-face-adversity/201103/catastrophic-thinking

Nope - but thanks for the offer.....when reading of the litany of regulation/visa/border/enforcements/enhancements/explanations and resulting fears voiced/penned by others I sat back nice and smug thinking - OK - everything's covered. Got the timing right for the next year while everything settles into place - or at least a more certain position/understanding/permanent/settled state.....

Then I head in for my 90 day and find out I'm 30+ days over - over half of which I'd been on the road away from "home ground" CM.....so it came as an unpleasant surprise as I try to be a good guest here.

Wife aside - all I can ever be in LOS is a good guest and do the things that are required and do them correctly.....so, yes, as a matter of fact - it was a shock to discover otherwise.....

In my mind I knew everything should be OK - but when the passport did not come back the 1st or the 2nd day it did cause me to pause and second guess the possible reasons.....

As more than a few people have noted it only takes one person in the wrong mood at the wrong time to create a whole bunch of trouble.....especially when they are as uncertain as we lately....

Luckily all was OK.......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nope - but thanks for the offer.....when reading of the litany of regulation/visa/border/enforcements/enhancements/explanations and resulting fears voiced/penned by others I sat back nice and smug thinking - OK - everything's covered. Got the timing right for the next year while everything settles into place - or at least a more certain position/understanding/permanent/settled state.....

Then I head in for my 90 day and find out I'm 30+ days over - over half of which I'd been on the road away from "home ground" CM.....so it came as an unpleasant surprise as I try to be a good guest here.

Wife aside - all I can ever be in LOS is a good guest and do the things that are required and do them correctly.....so, yes, as a matter of fact - it was a shock to discover otherwise.....

In my mind I knew everything should be OK - but when the passport did not come back the 1st or the 2nd day it did cause me to pause and second guess the possible reasons.....

As more than a few people have noted it only takes one person in the wrong mood at the wrong time to create a whole bunch of trouble.....especially when they are as uncertain as we lately....

Think rationally for a moment -  what do you think the worst case scenario is for forgetting to do your 90 day reporting?

Think rationally for a moment -  what do you think the worst case scenario is for forgetting to do your 90 day reporting?

Being put in a 12x12 room with 20 of the most notoriously famously worst of the TVF contributors......especially with Mr. Neverdies predilection towards farting, ant cheese, and gerbils......

Doesn't your 'excellent' visa service place send you a reminder email 7-10 days before your 90 day report is due?? I thought that was standard service.

"You remember, you do it, and providing you are not a continual and habitual offender there are no implications or consequences whatsoever."

What are the consequences if you are a continual and habitual offender?

"How many people working there do you think can actually read your address in English?"

Unless you have really bad handwriting, I'd say that every officer there could read an address in English.

So, 30 days late and no fine? How do they do that?

Being put in a 12x12 room with 20 of the most notoriously famously worst of the TVF contributors......especially with Mr. Neverdies predilection towards farting, ant cheese, and gerbils......

...or the TGAU reseller and the badger milker.

"You remember, you do it, and providing you are not a continual and habitual offender there are no implications or consequences whatsoever."

What are the consequences if you are a continual and habitual offender?

"How many people working there do you think can actually read your address in English?"

Unless you have really bad handwriting, I'd say that every officer there could read an address in English.

So, 30 days late and no fine? How do they do that?

TiT...

Doesn't your 'excellent' visa service place send you a reminder email 7-10 days before your 90 day report is due?? I thought that was standard service.

Good point. If I was a perpetual 90-day reporter relying on paid service to do it for me, having the email or sms alert would be a no-brainer. However, if like the OP, one does leave LOS and thus 'resets' the 90-day clock, the onus would be on the customer to keep tabs on the next due date and alert the service company of the change as a backup.

Now, it's almost 4am so where's my bloody breakfast Jack and water.

Reminder = that was my 1st question to them, it's usually sent out in an email which I chose as sometimes at the house there is signal drop at the phone and I have missed calls from time to time....they went to a computer and found that the email came back as undelivered....apparently they enter the address each time sent - not a chain - and had erred.....remember I went into the office thinking I was on time....

As to the fine - 3 things, immigration at one time gave an August date (120 days) maybe that was in their big books and they checked history and decided everything was OK ..... It's is possible because of the "lost face" thing on the email reminder the visa office took care of it ........It is also possible they paid it and will charge/bill me for it and I'm fine with that although I thought it would have happened when I picked up the pp - it's one of the few places I've found that it's OK if any money is due it can take place at any time during the transaction instead of up front.....

No matter which.....glad it's done.....

No form needed for 90 day report now, they just scan your passport and a form is printed out.

They rip the bottom piece off the form and staple it to the passport, thank you see you in 90 days.

Hah, dream on. The OP is in Chiang Mai. They LOVE paper. Hubby just did our 90 day reports on Friday. They wanted the TM 47 forms, copies of our passport photo pages, our visa extensions, and departure cards. That was four pieces of paper that had to be turned in for each 90 day report.

He showed up and initially gave the officer just the passports and the TM 47 forms. The offier asked for the other stuff like he was "catching" Hubby -- making him go to the back of the line after he made copies. Hah, Hubby had the last laugh as he opened his folder and whipped out the copies he'd already made (and had signed in advance).

It's no wonder it takes over 2 hours to do a 90 day report in Chiang Mai.
  • Like 1