How to politely refuse to shake hands?

pomchop

I find it interesting that people seem so concerned with adherence to western etiquette in Thailand yet make no attempt to understand or adapt to Thai etiquette and what their society considers appropriate behavior, vocabulary and dress for the social setting you find yourself in.

I also find the insults hurled at the OP completely uncalled for and much higher on the rudeness scale than not shaking hands.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Avoiding shaking hands for the reasons stated in the OP is just outright paranoid germophobia and you need to get over it. Even if the person's hands are harboring urinal backsplash, you're not in any danger unless you have gaping wounds on your palms or you immediately rub your eyes or lick your fingers after shaking hands.

The answer to the OP is hidden here. Just lick your fingers after shaking and look like you're really, really enjoying it, followed by "What, you're not doing yours ? May I then ?"

I hate it when your eating and someone wants to shake your hand , I generally try to grab a fork and spoon when I think its going to happen . If I must shake there hand then before I return to eating I will go wash my hands .

I hate it when your [sic] eating and someone wants to shake your hand[.]

I have a hard time believing that this really happens. Expecting somebody who's eating to shake your hand is just as much a protocol breach as asking to put your finger in somebody's nose. Where are all these ignorant-about-handshake-protocol people coming from? Edited by attrayant

I never give out handshakes to local Thais so why would I do it to foreigners ? A nod , a friendly smile should be enough . a wai would be just plain stupid . And I always remember to wash my hands wherever I go, especially before I start eating with my hands, Most foreigners I've seen do not care about their hygiene, unlike Thais.

I never give out handshakes to local Thais so why would I do it to foreigners ? A nod , a friendly smile should be enough . a wai would be just plain stupid . And I always remember to wash my hands wherever I go, especially before I start eating with my hands, Most foreigners I've seen do not care about their hygiene, unlike Thais.

Confucius say,

Man with dirty hands wash hands before go toilet, man with dirty plick wash hands after go toilet.

Other one,

US Navy Seal goes to the toilet then walks out past a SAS Officer without washing his hands,

SAS officer says, "In the Army they teach us to wash our hands after going for a pee"

Navy Seal replies, "In the Navy they teach us not to pee on our hands"

I think you will have to accept the fact that in a bar environment, no matter how politely you address your aversion to hand shaking, you will get nothing but grief and ridicule.
In polite society it shouldn’t be a problem to make an excuse not to shake hands but your inebriated friends in the bar will not understand. Besides, you are touching barstools, countertops and no telling what else, so hands may not be the only thing you should be worried about.
I think your concern makes sense but you need to accept that you have no control over how it will be perceived by others, as witnessed by the responses to this post.

I wonder if he kisses women or just wais them,and what about when it comes to the dirty deed.

If you are a germaphobe, just think that what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

I agree lots of dirty toilets and ass wiping going on with no toilet paper in Thailand and no soap to wash your hands.

Yuck,toilet paper is for blowing your nose.

I think everyone is completely missing the point here.

Shaking someones hand who might be dirty or have germs etc will not pass anything onto yourself unless your own personal hygiene is bad.

Just avoid touching your own face, picking your nose, sticking your fingers in your mouth, and you can shake all the dirty hands you want.

Wash your hands when you get back home and you will be just fine

smile.png

The voice of reason and common sense,a rare commodity on this forum,seldom seen and rarely heard.

Some Western Habits die hard...and are pretty goofy. Shaking hands has to be one of the best ways to transmit diseases and infections. Filthy habit, we have there.

Agree. The OP has a good question as I find this western habit rather annoying. A visitor straight off the plane and coughing his lungs out wants to shake my hand...what to do? Normally, I just shake the guy's hand, try not to touch any part of my face, and head for the nearest restroom to wash my hands. I rarely get sick anymore and when I do, it's usually from shaking hands with a sick person and forgetting to wash my hands immediately.

BS.

I'd say...if you are so worried, better not eat nor drink. All that filthy money you have to touch!! I live in a country where people (all ages and both sexes) shake hands all the time, all day. Already because I won't give the cheek kiss in air, I am considered rude. I am curious though, do you wash your hands after going to the toilet?

No,because i wash my dick before i leave home.After a crap, yes.

I'd say...if you are so worried, better not eat nor drink. All that filthy money you have to touch!! I live in a country where people (all ages and both sexes) shake hands all the time, all day. Already because I won't give the cheek kiss in air, I am considered rude. I am curious though, do you wash your hands after going to the toilet?

No,because i wash my dick before i leave home.After a crap, yes.

If you are a germaphobe, just think that what doesn't kill

you will make you stronger.

I agree lots of dirty toilets and ass wiping going on with no toilet paper in Thailand and no soap to wash your hands.

and drying off your ass when you have sprayed that bacteria filled water up your date hole

and drying off your ass when you have sprayed that bacteria /filled water up your date hole

and drying off your ass when you have sprayed that bacteria /filled water up your date hole

No,i wash my dick before leaving home.Yes,after defecating.

and drying off your ass when you have sprayed that bacteria filled water up your date hole

I thought that was what the hot air blower was for.