Should jet skis be totally banned in Pattaya/Jomtien?

Jingthing

Should jet skis be totally banned in Pattaya/Jomtien?  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banned, obviously. Cant really see what possible argument there could be in their favour.

Anyone who wants to do noisy and dangerous activities should simply go where there are no other people.

"Anyone who wants to do noisy and dangerous activities should simply go where there are no other people"

I don't think the "out of sight - out of mind" approach is much better.

Speedsters, both on water and wheels, are responsible for untold damage in numerous natural wilderness areas all over the word. They need to be reined in everywhere.

I reckon you should move to Alaska, there shouldn't be many speedsters there, there shouldn't be much of anything......... just like you like it, Patts is faaaar too busy for you

Stupid comment. I don't mind "busy", but there is the good busy, the bad and the ugly. The jet skis are a major part of the bad and the ugly. My views are supported by a huge vote to BAN them.

You have absolutely no idea of the 'busy' I have experienced and enjoy.

Hmmm ... Well, I guess you have the right avatar. That cartoon character is not known for his intellect!

cheesy.gif

Edited by TechnikaIII

What I find almost amusing, but also rather sad about some of these posts is the levels of naivety displayed.

The likes of manarak, lingkae, thai bob etc all against banning as they don't like any form of rules and regulations in their lives,and propose "Enforcement", "Regulation" and "Controls"

How can you enforce and regulate when the enforcers and regulators are deeply involved in corruption themselves?

The idea that if you ban jet skis then the girly bars will be next is deeply flawed. If you are the type of sad individual that gets his rocks off with illiterate peasants at these bars then all well and good, you are harming no one Jet skis on the other hand can and have seriously damage d the image of Thailand abroad. There simply is no logical reason to keep them.

We are not naive but I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have had visiting friends use jet skis here in Jomtien without issues so it is possible to provide a service to the tourists in this seaside resort. As I said before if they want to ban jet skis here they will, if they choose to place severe restrictions on the bars they will, if want to restrict ED visas or or ban overstayers, they will. We are dealing with a military government, accountable to only themselves.

What about the disturbance to people wanting a quiet day at the beach? Don't they count?

It seems the legal issue is the draconian attitude by the Thai's of allowing foreigners to skipper any boats in their waters even though many have far superior internationally recognised qualifications to anything that most Thai skipper have.

Until:

• Thailand allows foreigners to legally drive jet skis
  • They are insured
  • They are policed to ensure customers are not being ripped off
  • They have designated areas of operation
  • Measures in place to make them safer, like speed governors linked to GPS that limit them to a crawl speed outside designated areas

they should be banned.

Edited by Basil B

How many years have the jet ski scammers been operating with impunity?

How many times have they been told to clean up their act?

How many times have they ignored these orders and continued with business as usual?

(defamatory comment deleted by moderator)

What I find almost amusing, but also rather sad about some of these posts is the levels of naivety displayed.

The likes of manarak, lingkae, thai bob etc all against banning as they don't like any form of rules and regulations in their lives,and propose "Enforcement", "Regulation" and "Controls"

How can you enforce and regulate when the enforcers and regulators are deeply involved in corruption themselves?

The idea that if you ban jet skis then the girly bars will be next is deeply flawed. If you are the type of sad individual that gets his rocks off with illiterate peasants at these bars then all well and good, you are harming no one Jet skis on the other hand can and have seriously damage d the image of Thailand abroad. There simply is no logical reason to keep them.

We are not naive but I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have had visiting friends use jet skis here in Jomtien without issues so it is possible to provide a service to the tourists in this seaside resort. As I said before if they want to ban jet skis here they will, if they choose to place severe restrictions on the bars they will, if want to restrict ED visas or or ban overstayers, they will. We are dealing with a military government, accountable to only themselves.

What about the disturbance to people wanting a quiet day at the beach? Don't they count?
Of course they count but the beach is a shared recreational venue and in fact there are areas free from jet skis. On any given day I can open my condo deck sliders and enjoy(sic) the jet ski noise but I voted no.

a derogatory post was removed ,,, please note Forum Rule 11 ....

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

did you read the phuket wan, last week?

The army did ban the jet ski, and few weeks later they were back in the business!

The jet ski mafia, did explain, they can not stay longer unemployed. If they dont go back to work at the beach,

they will turn to another criminal activity... the army accepted!

That is a paradox.

Starve off crime? They are allegedly already involved in crime (towards foreigners so maybe it doesn't count?).

Edited by hughben

certainly not.

banning stuff is classic lazy left-wing approach to problems.

Safety issues => enforcement of rules

Accidents => enforcement of compulsory insurance for vendors

Pollution/Noise => pfff... compared to what's going on on the streets and elsewhere, 555

"Mafia" control => enforcement

Corruption issues => enforcement

Customers getting violently assaulted (or threatened) to pay extortionate holiday ruining "repair" fees when presented with so called "damage" => enforcement

the word "enforcement" comes up often, which shows that this is a government and police problem.

Banning an activity that at least in theory can be practised legally is the wrong answer in 99% of cases and is killing off individual liberties one by one. Exactly the reason why I moved away from Europe.

You never mentioned that they are actually illegal in Thailand.

I voted No. JT, I'm guessing that you come from a country that once banned the sales of alcohol. It didn't work, it was wrong and now sales of alcohol there are controlled and regulated. Banning is a right wing, fascist trait; such as you might see in a military dictatorship (no names, no pack drill). Everybody knows that the problems are in a particular part of the beach - near Mike's Shopping Mall. Why punish all the jetski operators who do operate legally (the vast majority) because of the sins of the few?

So where does one hire a legal,safe and unscammable jet ski.

Its illegal to ride them without a license and they are all uninsured. Other than that its all good. The whole place will be quieter and safer without them

Get rid.

from the expat residents' view, there are various disadvantages...

However, the main income of Pattaya is from foreigner tourists - Russian, Chinese and others...

It is nothing about expats like it or not.....

Is there a vote of banning sex shop in Pattaya? NO...

WIthout Sex industry, it is not pattaya; without water sports, it is not Pattaya either.

from the expat residents' view, there are various disadvantages...

However, the main income of Pattaya is from foreigner tourists - Russian, Chinese and others...

It is nothing about expats like it or not.....

Is there a vote of banning sex shop in Pattaya? NO...

WIthout Sex industry, it is not pattaya; without water sports, it is not Pattaya either.

Moving back and forward along the coast on a jet-ski is not a water sport, it is just a way of passing time.

However, it annoys a lot of tourists that want to have a pleasant beach experience.

Locals know where to go and usually have a vehicle at their disposal, Tourists don't.

As for the other entertainment, Tourists or Residents going in and out of a shop, a bar or a hotel do neither concern nor bother me.

• 11 months later...

What's the big deal?

7 years ago, in 2008 the Mayor held emergency meetings to stop these criminals.

They are all registered, licensed, insured with weekly inspections .....according to the Mayor.

If there is a problem, let the police handle it.

No,

Keep the jet skis. it part of the holiday experience for some people that come here.

Better regulation and safer operation, big yes.

Kick the criminal element out and the cops that are in on the scam as well.

one day soon !!!!!!!!!!! whistling.gif

BTW I don't like or use them.

Edited by onemorechang

No,

Keep the jet skis. it part of the holiday experience for some people that come here.

Impossible to stop them from scamming, defrauding, colluding, threatening, assaulting, intimidating, forging photographic evidence with photoshop, hostage taking/kidnapping and mob violence in broad daylight, since the police are in on the scams here at Thug Beach, Pattaya.

The only option is to ban them, no?

No,

Impossible to stop them from scamming, defrauding, colluding, threatening, assaulting, intimidating, forging photographic evidence with photoshop, hostage taking/kidnapping and mob violence in broad daylight, since the police are in on the scams here at Thug Beach, Pattaya.

The only option is to ban them, no?

No

The authorities choose not to sort it out.

But they have the power to do it if they want to.

so your wrong.