Anti-graft agency to probe 2008 crackdown on Yellowshirts

webfact

Let it go.

Time to move on embrace the future.

Let 2010 go as well?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That might be better.....for the redshirt leaders.

As well as not looking into the latest troubles might definitely be much better for the redshirt leaders,

I think it is high time Thailand goes forward and stops hugging the past.

Edited by hansnl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let it go.

Time to move on embrace the future.

Let 2010 go as well?

Let it all go - the past is the past - lets look forward

That's the same as accepting abuse of power. People has to be held responsible for their actions, and they have to show that such actions are not tolerated. Letting it go and let the past be the past, is the same as saying that there is no consequences for abuse of power, and continue to do so. Embrace the abuse in the future too then!

The past is whats holding Thailand back from embracing what could be a wonderful future.

doesnt matter if they are red shirt or yellow shirt, they are all scum and need to be sorted but killing isnt on if they are simply protesting. A bit different to the reds that were shooting and blowing up people in 2010

Let 2010 go as well?

Let it all go - the past is the past - lets look forward

That's the same as accepting abuse of power. People has to be held responsible for their actions, and they have to show that such actions are not tolerated. Letting it go and let the past be the past, is the same as saying that there is no consequences for abuse of power, and continue to do so. Embrace the abuse in the future too then!

The past is whats holding Thailand back from embracing what could be a wonderful future.

Nobody is saying that they should linger in the past, but if they are guilty in abusing their power, they should be held responsible. Remember that we are talking about people who are still in politics, so if they wont be held responsible, they can just continue to abuse. Also, they have to show that they don't tolerate such abuse of power, and make sure that others will think twice before they would do similar actions.

• Like 1

And here begins the end.

The army strategy was to stay kind of neutral.

To definitely take side with the yellow's can only bring unrest.

Since today, it was likely that the army was in favor of the elites now it's obvious and this move is terribly unfair (no need to explain). One day or another the populace will remember.

Please, elites, don't under estimate the people. They don't have money but they have memory.

The NAAC isn't the army, my dear chap.

The OP has "The NACC previously attempted to file charges over the crackdown, but the Office of Attorney-General declined to pursue the case." and as we have been told again and again the AOG and courts are really prejudiced.

Mind you, the 'new police stations' plan was seen as a gift from PPP PM somchai for the help the police gave him in cracking down on the anti-government protesters.

BTW 'elites'? As in 'billionairs', like our criminal fugitive?

If you hold a Prime Minister accountable everytime a soldier or policeman killed a citizen, there would not be a single Prime Minister anywhere in the world walking the streets today. Unless direct instructions are issued to shoot to kill then there is nothing to answer. Unlike General Prayuth and his cohorts, the NACC and EC make no attempt to hide their political colours and should they fail to secure a prosecution against Somchai or Yingluck (rice scheme) then those who seek to bring these cases should be immediately removed from office and charged with wasting tax payers money.

Do you think Tharit, the DSI and AG should be charged with wasting tax payers money too if Abhisit and Suthep are found not guilty?

Don't forget similar charges were also filed against Yinngy, Chalerm and Tharit. How are they proceeding?

• Like 1

So why have the NACC waited for 6 years to start proceedings. Seems to me that the "impartial" regime are determined to completely smash one side, without a thought of the possible consequences. Now is the time for reconciliation and to move on, but I guess that is not the Thai way.

because there was an impass at the office of the AG who was in Thaksins pocket

I don't agree with this move but if cases against the Dems are deemed viable then these should be also, I'd expect further charges to be presented against PTP for their abuse a few months ago against PDRC also causing deaths - Plod - Tarrit Charlerm and Yingluc plus the redshirt leadership and the police chief who it seems were all involved of various crimes including terrorism and abuse resulting in murder and deaths

• Like 2

Conveniently, no mention about any planned investigation of the yellowshirt terrorists that shutdown the airport.

One country, double standards.

correct me if I'm wrong but are people not in jail for this

But hardly the same thing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is getting worse and worse. A group of mercenaries hired to kill people and to topple an elected government are seen as innocent heroes, while women and children horribly massacred in 2010 worth zero and their assassins walk free.

The corruption in Thailand in these past months have skyrocketed by 10 folds.

Yes, one might well wonder, why did former-PM Yingluck & her PTP-led coalition-government absolve the military of any responsibility. How do you justify that ?

Certain Red-Shirts were fairly upset about it, IIRC.

Conveniently, no mention about any planned investigation of the yellowshirt terrorists that shutdown the airport.

Aren't there cases currently proceeding through the courts ?

• Like 1

What children were killed in 2010??? And was that not only one woman a nurse killed at the Temple.

rice555

This is getting worse and worse. A group of mercenaries hired to kill people and to topple an elected government are seen as innocent heroes, while women and children horribly massacred in 2010 worth zero and their assassins walk free.

The corruption in Thailand in these past months have skyrocketed by 10 folds.

So why have the NACC waited for 6 years to start proceedings. Seems to me that the "impartial" regime are determined to completely smash one side, without a thought of the possible consequences. Now is the time for reconciliation and to move on, but I guess that is not the Thai way.

me thinks the Thaksin led regimes before were so impartial that they did not allow the NACC to start the proceedings

If that were the case, then why didn't it happen under Abhisit's watch?

Everyone in public office or service in this country is in someone's pocket, when you recognize that fact then you realize there will never be an end to the cycle. Red, Yellow, Green or Blue, the colour is irrelevant. They are all opportunists. Every dog has his day, it's just that some dogs are pack leaders and others just pack members. Observe the behavior pattern in wildlife groups, when a new dominant takes over, all traces of the previous dominant are eliminated. Thailand has not progressed, there can never be acceptance of a differing point of view. Sadly, TV members have fallen into this same pack mentality.

correct me if I'm wrong but are people not in jail for this

But hardly the same thing

OK, you're wrong.

People aren't "in jail for this". In fact the case still hasn't been heard yet. The Courts agreed on the 27th May to delay the hearing until December 15th 2014, 6 years after the event.

Actually there was a lot of wonder at the time why this wasn't done in 2009, over Abhisit and Suthep,

it seems that being nice about 2008 did NOT pay-off and so turnabout is appropriate fairplay.

Reap what you sow.

So this is the logical turn of events.

If Thaksin wanted to play hardball, the other side can do so also.

They tried nice, that carrot didn't work, now comes the stick, and see how he likes

a close family member in the dock for similar actions to what Abhisit and Suthep did.

Som nom nah; Irony edition.

Actually there was a lot of wonder at the time why this wasn't done in 2009, over Abhisit and Suthep,

it seems that being nice about 2008 did NOT pay-off and so turnabout is appropriate fairplay.

Reap what you sow.

So this is the logical turn of events.

If Thaksin wanted to play hardball, the other side can do so also.

They tried nice, that carrot didn't work, now comes the stick, and see how he likes

a close family member in the dock for similar actions to what Abhisit and Suthep did.

Som nom nah; Irony edition.

Unfortunately, the one who should be in the dock is tucked up in bed safe and sound with his camels.

What is the National Anti-Corruption Commission actually doing?

The National Counter-Corruption Commission of Thailand is responsible for the ethical conduct, financially or otherwise of elected politicians and civil servants. The commission have both powers of investigation and prosecution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_agencies_of_the_Thai_government

It does seem odd but that's a pretty good explanation. It was the NACC that originally looked at the crackdown ordered by Abhisit and decided not to pursue it. I don't know if they gave a reason but it's not hard to guess. It was then that the DSI took it over and decided to treat Abhisit and Suthep as private citizens from what I remember so they could investigate. They both complained about this fact but who knows what's going to happen now.

In this case it would seem the NACC are the ones who should investigate this but why now I've no idea and the same goes for the reasoning behind it. It will be interesting to see the evidence in this case.

...truly, utterly pathetic...

No, I think that PayBack is going to be quite popular in the next few years.

Why should the previous gang of Thu** & Thie**s be permitted to pillage the country for many years, & then just walk away with the spoils?

The National Counter-Corruption Commission of Thailand is responsible for the ethical conduct, financially or otherwise of elected politicians and civil servants. The commission have both powers of investigation and prosecution.

It does seem odd but that's a pretty good explanation. It was the NACC that originally looked at the crackdown ordered by Abhisit and decided not to pursue it. I don't know if they gave a reason but it's not hard to guess. It was then that the DSI took it over and decided to treat Abhisit and Suthep as private citizens from what I remember so they could investigate. They both complained about this fact but who knows what's going to happen now.

In this case it would seem the NACC are the ones who should investigate this but why now I've no idea and the same goes for the reasoning behind it. It will be interesting to see the evidence in this case.

Actually I think that PoorSucker is not correct in that the NACC did not have powers of prosecution. For example they investigated YL's mismanagement & negligence over the rice scheme and handed the results over to the AG. There has been some moves to give them that power recently but I'm not sure if it's been promulgated.

The NACC did originally investigate the Somchai incident but apparently it was dropped by the AG (don't know when but sounds like a pro-Thaksin AG).

You're right to question the reasoning behind a 'probe' or reexamination of the case as it has an echo of payback. Doesn't help the 'independence' of the NACC.

• Like 1

Actually I think that PoorSucker is not correct in that the NACC did not have powers of prosecution. For example they investigated YL's mismanagement & negligence over the rice scheme and handed the results over to the AG. There has been some moves to give them that power recently but I'm not sure if it's been promulgated.

The NACC did originally investigate the Somchai incident but apparently it was dropped by the AG (don't know when but sounds like a pro-Thaksin AG).

You're right to question the reasoning behind a 'probe' or reexamination of the case as it has an echo of payback. Doesn't help the 'independence' of the NACC.

Too late to edit - slight revision.

It's not Poorsucker that's incorrect but Wikipedia that is out of date as it refers to the NCCC - the predecessor of the NACC - who did have powers of prosecution. The NACC doesn't.

• Like 2

This was the occasion that the police used explosive Chinese made tear gas grenades which they fired directly at the protestors from shotguns for a couple of hours, even after they saw the devastating effects. A police investigation into who ordered the lethal tear gas grenades and ordered them to be used on the protestors found that nobody had ordered the grenades and the commander at the site had no idea they were lethal even after he had seen people being shot down with them.

Time for a proper investigation in this disgusting episode.