Did you burn your bridges when you moved to Thailand?

giddyup

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold a lot of stuff but kept a car and an RV back home so I visit/tour and be surrounded by my own stuff.....I have a house full of furniture stored where the vehicle is that sooner or later I'll have to deal with somewhere along the way......a lot of things are of sentimental value - possibly I should have shipped more household stuff in the container - and for sure I should not have shipped the car.....

• Like 1

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

Sigh... that's the problem, there's no such thing as original thought any more.

• Like 2

Some are cautious by nature others impulsive.For me i have always got by and survived even when my impetuous decisions later get me into a bit of strife.Some live by the heart some by the head.Main thing is not to worry which can kill long before the money runs out!

I agree, you can be too careful in life and therefore never have the kind of adventures risk can give you. When I sold up and retired here at the age of 66, I thought, "what's the worst that can happen"? Even, worst case scenario, all falangs are kicked out of Thailand, I'm not going to be sleeping on the streets or having to rattle a tin cup.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I always do what my heart tells me....it can lead to utter disapoinment sometimes,but "you pick yourself up" and move on.but in the process you get fantastic experiences.Being too cautious can lead to having a very bland life.

I have burned everything and dont care a toss.....i know i will always be ok as long as i take care of my health.

• Like 2

My definition of "burning bridges" would be just prior to leaving max out all your credit cards with cash advances, take out personal loans, not paid tax for 3 years ect ect prolly get a free 100-200k out of it if you play it right

• Like 1

Well done, until you're other half kicks you out or immigration.

Btw, you haven't actually burnt your bridges. You have sold up and relocated, which many people do. Burning your bridges signifies quitting your job, telling your boss, family and friends where to go and tearing up your passport. You have merely moved, no big deal. As long as you're fine with being looked down upon and forever the tourist you'll do well wink.png

Definition: If you burn your bridges, you do something that makes it impossible to go back from the position you have taken.

In my case that's true. I couldn't now afford to buy a similarly priced house to the one I sold, because I have invested a large proportion of the money in the house here, and even if I managed to sell the one here (probably at a loss) I would still be behind the 8 ball because property prices have risen significantly back home. As far as being looked down upon, I don't feel that, but maybe you do for good reasons.

I charred a number of bridges when I left the US 40 years ago. Since then I've lived and worked in 4 countries outside the US as well as spending a few years back in the US two separate times completing graduate degrees. Probably totally uprooted and moved just about everything I owned & cut a lot of ties at least 10 times during that time span .

This is the first place I've lived in those 4 decades where I didn't keep a bunch of packing boxes, tea chests and trunks in a spare bedroom ready for the next move. Time & natural decay have caused most of those bridges to my life back in Illinois to crumble.

I fully intend to live out the balance of my life here. After a somewhat nomadic existence this is as close as I've come to a permanent place to stay during a large part of my adult life. Burnt bridges may not be an entirely appropriate analogy for me, but it would be hard to identify exactly to what I could consider going back. Going back isn't limited to geographical locations, it would mean going back to places, people and a time that exist no longer in one place.

There are a number of places I sometimes think it would be nice to go back to, but practically speaking it would be impossible. I didn't choose to retire here without giving it a lot of thought. No surprises. No regrets. Wasn't wearing the saffron colored glasses when I made the decision, so the decision was not impulsive and I have not turned into a bitter old thing blaming Thailand & Thai people for the choices I made.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1